Packed! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I have an earlier EDD than most of you (technically Jan 29, but I have always assumed early Feb).

DD was early, and DH and I were literally shoving crap into our car because I hadnt packed anything and hadnt even made a really good list. Needless to say, we took about half the house with us and when we brought DD home there was so much crap in the car with us. To avoid that, I have actually packed a bag this time. Here's what's in it:

Chapstick
Hairties
Toothbrush/paste/shampoo/conditioner
Rice sock
Apricot oil (for perennial massage)
Baby oil (for back massage)
Massage ball
Moby (I found this awesome technique where the moby can be used take the pressure off your hips while you are hands and knees and it takes way less effort on DH's part)
panties
socks
sundress that replaces hospital gown
PP pads
diapers (just a couple)
Pj pants
Tank top
DH's swimsuit
DH change of clothes
My going home clothes (smallish maternity clothes)
Belly Bandit
Breast pump
Newborn bodywash
Copy of The Birth Partner (for reference for medications, just in case)
2 gallon plastic bag (for placenta)
Ground coffee, creamer, spoon, and cup (DH is a huge coffee snob and literally fell asleep on me last time)
Copy of birth plan
Gift for DD
music speaker
Picture to focus on (small, matted, woodcut that I love)
3 Newborn outfits (one preemie (leftover from DD), one NB, and one 0-3 months)

We'll need to grab these things at the last minute:
Small cooler for placenta
snacks- i just need to buy these and put them in my bag.
our down comforter (we slept on it last time)
Percolator (to add hot water to the pool, and to make coffee for DH)
Phone charger
Hairbrush
Blowdryer (seriously, my hair looked SO bad in all the PP pics from DD that I wont let anyone see them. For two days too, not just the hour or so after birth).

If you have to leave your house to give birth, what are you taking? What did I forget? When are you packing, or are you?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 AM

I've had a bag packed since my triage scare a few weeks ago.  My bag includes things for possible triage visit or hospital time before the c-section in case of preterm labor as well as things for a 2 night hospital stay after. 

-ipad and headphones so I can distract myself in the middle of the night as well as skype with DD at night if she gets lonely or scared. 

-A long novel 

-boppy pillow and pillow cover

-picture of DD (we each have one in matching frames)

-camera and charger

-blackberry charger

-nuts

-gum (to help get things moving after surgery)

-moisturizer

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 AM

I have packed a few things already, but haven't got everything together yet.  

So far I have:

-footed pajamas and a warm outfit for my little guy to come home in

-diapers

-pads

-chapstick

-small sample packs of shampoo and conditioner

-lanolin and breastpads

I need to add:

-pajamas for me

-hair bands

-hairbrush

-toothbrush/paste

Last minute items to add when we leave:

-camera + charger

-phone chargers

-ipad

#4 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

My bag I packed:

- Pretty Pushers labor/delivery gown/dress (one time use - throw it away after birth) that has openings down the front for fetal monitor and is low V-cut in the back (for epidural) and is very soft, loose cotton that's about knee length. It comes in about 7 colors/styles. I choose lemon yellow....soothing and non-boring.

- Binsi Go Go (sports bra) top in black that snaps down the side (for easy on and off) so you don't have to pull it over your head to remove.

- Maternity swim skirt (no panties attached) for laboring in the Jacuzzi tub in the birthing suite.

- Chapstick, Waterproof (so I look somewhat human during labor and after for photos) Mascara and Eyeliner

- Contact case and Solution/glasses

- Toiletries (toothbrush/toothpaste, breathe right nasal strips, ear plugs, etc.)

- Camera/spare batteries

- Socks with rubber on bottom (and can wear in the hospital bed if needed)

- Housecoat and Nightgown set and slippers

- Hair band (sport elastic - stay put) and brush (hospital provides hair dryer in the suite bathroom

- Change of (maternity/nursing shirt) clothes for the day we go home

- Cold pack breast pads (for nursing) if sore and irritated for the mini fridge in the room

- Nipple balm (Lanolin) for sore nipples when starting breastfeeding

- Breast pump/bottles

- Hot/Cold packs (natural cherry pit) to heat in microwave in the hospital hallway or cool in the mini fridge

- Labor/exercise blow up ball stand (hospital provides the actual ball) so it doesn't go rolling out from under me when sitting/standing

- Spare phone charger

- Mini portable battery operated fan (because when I'm hot without a breeze I get uncomfortable) to blow on me when I'm laboring/sweaty

- Pregnancy Pillow and heavy feather tick pillow to help me sleep

- Newborn onesies, Photo outfit and going home outfit

- Receiving blankets (2) and one heavier baby blanket

- Newborn mittens, hat and socks

- Newborn Swaddle Me

Husbands bag:

- Change of clothes

- Laptop or iPad

- Book

- List of labor requests to make things easier /copy of our birth plan

- Snacks (granola bars, energy drinks, soda with caffiene, etc.)

The hospital provides diapers (and some to take home with you) as well as the nasal bulb, sanitary pads for me and breast pads, so we didn't pack any of those.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Oh yeah and I forgot to add Gownies hospital gown (because I don't want to wear an old, ratty regular hospital gown that 1,000 other people have worn in the past) and they valcrow or snap up the back so your butt isn't hanging out.

They come in a variety of colors/patterns, are ALL pretty and feminine and wonderful.

I ordered the one that Pam on The Office wore! It's so pretty......pale blue with white poka dots on it.

I will wear that AFTER delivery while I'm recovering. Something to make me feel somewhat pretty and special (thus not wearing the provided classes hospital gown.....yuck) something new, clean, fresh and....colorful.

Leanne wash.gif 34, SAHM married 15 yrs to Josh geek.gif, 37.  brokenheart.gif 8/08, brokenheart.gif 7/10, babyboy.gif born 2/18/12 and brokenheart.gif 4/14. photosmile3.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2012, 05:55 AM

well you inspired me to go and buy some stuff, a few things at least.

i won't be packing much till the last minute though, mainly because i NEED all those yoga pants to wear when i get home after work and i don't want to wash them all the time. 

i bought a pack of the burt's bees stuff, it seemed easier just to get a box with small tubes of everything.

i bought empty shampoo travely things

tiny dr bronner's bottle

an afghan and extra pillow

small toothpaste tube

i'll pack the baby stuff for sure now. clothes, booties, swaddler.  hopefully i can make/finish a little hat or two. 

i have a camera bag that i usually manage to have an extra charged battery in, etc. so i can just grab that to go. 

i will pack the breast friend

breast pads and a nursing bra & tank (& probably 5 more and the yoga pants, all 8 billion pairs of them when it's time)

luckily the coffee thing is not going to be an issue (& it's me that's the snob, not dh) b/c there's a cupcake/coffee place just down the street.

also, i am assuming dh will have to make trips home and probably stay there after the first night b/c of all the stinky animals.  all our friends live pretty close by though, so i am sure i won't lack for company.  and people to fetch me things.  :) actually looking forward to having proximity to restaurants and coffeeshops and stuff as opposed to living where not even pizza will deliver!  (just focus on the food and everything else will be ok, i tell meself.)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page