Dialation and effacement - Mothering Forums
February 2012 > Dialation and effacement
Adaline'sMama's Avatar Adaline'sMama 05:35 PM 01-04-2012
I went in for my appointment today and was surprised to find that I was 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced. I'm 36 weeks, 3 days today. I was only 3 cm dilated when I went to the hospital last time, after 3 hours of active labor! I know women can walk around for weeks dilated at 2-3 cm, but thats 2 cm less that I have to go, right? I dont want a baby born this early, at all- but I was pretty excited to find out that I've already dilated a little.

I cant check myself, or at least I havent been able to. I have been checking every day for the past few weeks and I havent felt anything any different, although I have obviously dilated a little and didnt realize it. Maybe Im not doing it right, or maybe I just cant tell.

jaimeemiaj's Avatar jaimeemiaj 05:52 PM 01-04-2012

Wow, Adaline'sMama!  That must have been a surprise to find out you are dialating and effaced!  Do you feel any other symptoms that you may be nearing labor?

I thought I must be coming down with a bladder infection the other day, and went to the dr to check it out, to find out the baby has just dropped really low, making me very uncomfortable at 35 weeks.  I was hoping it was a bladder infection bk then I could fix it, but now I might have to wait a month going to the restroom every couple hours all night, and even peeing when I cough...sorry tmi!  ;-)

Right of Passage's Avatar Right of Passage 06:07 PM 01-04-2012

Yay for freebie CMs! They are always exciting. :)

I checked things out the other day, was surprised I could feel my cervix, 10x more surprised to find my cervix to be 4cm. Wow! I was closed tight and not effaced at all 36 hours before my last baby was born. Just proof every pregnancy is different!

atomicrocket's Avatar atomicrocket 12:49 PM 01-06-2012

I had an appointment today and my cervix is still high and closed at 36w3d.  A little disappointing but not surprising.  I definitely do not think my LO will come early!

skerries's Avatar skerries 07:46 PM 01-06-2012

I had an appointment yesterday and both the midwife and I were surprised to find out that I'm 80% effaced at 36 weeks exactly!  She won't check me again until I'm overdue (or in labor) unless I request it, but it was nice to know that things are getting going down there.

hildare's Avatar hildare 12:32 PM 01-07-2012

YAY AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  that means it's going to be easy (hahahaha) when it actually starts for real!

mamanoish's Avatar mamanoish 07:49 PM 01-07-2012

That's awesome!! I have "over cooked" all of my babies and have been having BH pretty regularly lately. Since my MW was doing GBS test she checked me, and said I was 2 cm, and soft. I was shocked. She suggested I take it easy and rest over the next week and a half (I'm 36wks 4 days) as she is out of town. I don't want him to come early at all. I'm happy with 39+ weeks. 

But then today I saw on Midwifery Today's facebook posts someone posting about being 2 cm at 33 weeks or something, and several people commented on there saying that after you already have a baby your cervix doesn't completely close, so being 1 1/2-2 cm isn't abnormal or a sign that you're going to go sooner. I've never ever heard of this before. Anyone else? 

Right of Passage's Avatar Right of Passage 09:08 PM 01-07-2012

I'm 4cms already, I usually go to 40 weeks. I have no worries or ideas that this baby will be any earlier. I've known quite a few ladies to walk around 1-2-3-4-5cm dilated for weeks! I even know one woman that was at 6cm for 2 weeks. It's amazing what our bodies are capable of!

Adaline'sMama's Avatar Adaline'sMama 06:44 PM 01-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanoish View Post

That's awesome!! I have "over cooked" all of my babies and have been having BH pretty regularly lately. Since my MW was doing GBS test she checked me, and said I was 2 cm, and soft. I was shocked. She suggested I take it easy and rest over the next week and a half (I'm 36wks 4 days) as she is out of town. I don't want him to come early at all. I'm happy with 39+ weeks. 

But then today I saw on Midwifery Today's facebook posts someone posting about being 2 cm at 33 weeks or something, and several people commented on there saying that after you already have a baby your cervix doesn't completely close, so being 1 1/2-2 cm isn't abnormal or a sign that you're going to go sooner. I've never ever heard of this before. Anyone else? 

I know this is true for some women, but my OB checked me a few weeks ago when we did an exam for yeast. Since DD was early, I was curious to know. I was completely closed then, so I know things have loosened up a bit in the past couple of weeks. I dont take it as a sign that I will go early necessarily, just that that's 2 cm less that I have to dilate! Every woman's body is different, and every pregnancy is different, so I dont think there is any real way of "knowing" when a baby is going to come, or if they are coming early based on past pregnancies.
FrannieM's Avatar FrannieM 03:05 PM 01-09-2012

Wow, you ladies are really getting going already!! :)

jaimeemiaj's Avatar jaimeemiaj 01:30 PM 01-10-2012

I went to the Dr this morning, and I was 1cm dialated at 36 weeks.  The baby has dropped down low...

frogautumn's Avatar frogautumn 11:24 AM 01-12-2012

Ha! After starting the "I feel like baby is coming soon" thread, I learned that I'm not dilated or effaced...at all, not even a little bit. I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound this week for a final check on the position of my placenta, so they got a pretty detailed view of my cervix.

mesa's Avatar mesa 12:06 PM 01-13-2012

I'm 3 cm at 35 (36 tomorrow) weeks. She didn't say anything about effacement, though. I was 5 cm and still not in labor at 43 weeks with my last baby, I ended up having my water broken and a 2 hour labor...so yeah, I'd love the two hour labor, not so much the 43 week part though. LOL

Jaysmylilpunkin's Avatar Jaysmylilpunkin 12:39 PM 01-13-2012

I've got nothing... Cervix still long and closed and up out of the pelvis. Dr said baby's head is still floating... I was 2 CM at 36 weeks with my son and 1 cm at 36 wks with my DD (and ended up going to 42 weeks) sigh.... I keep telling myself "your cervix is not a crystal ball!" I've heard too many stories of people 0-10 in hours to be discouraged but... it's still kind of discouraging!!

Kaydove's Avatar Kaydove 04:57 PM 01-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post

Yay for freebie CMs! They are always exciting. :)

I checked things out the other day, was surprised I could feel my cervix, 10x more surprised to find my cervix to be 4cm. Wow! I was closed tight and not effaced at all 36 hours before my last baby was born. Just proof every pregnancy is different!

I am so impressed that you could check yourself! I tried to feel my cervix but couldn't! Although I did feel something soft and squishy...I think I'm getting GBS tested tomorrow, so maybe I'll see if the midwife can check my cervix.

Katie8681's Avatar Katie8681 05:03 PM 01-16-2012

To make this even more complicated, there's actually an external os (opening of the cervix) and an internal os! Your external os can be a bit open (very common in women who have had babies before) while the internal os is still closed tight. 

Right of Passage's Avatar Right of Passage 05:11 PM 01-16-2012

Kaydove: I'm impressed too, first time in 4 pregnancies that I can actually reach!

NourishCreate's Avatar NourishCreate 09:06 PM 01-17-2012

Yesterday at 35 weeks 5days  my midwife thought a vaginal exam would be a good idea just to confirm it's really a head down there-  she couldn't feel baby's head from palpating my belly- sure enough baby is WAY low -she could push baby's head and I felt it- crazy!   I'm 80% effaced-no dilation but a soft cervix.  I've felt baby being low and putting pressure on my cervix.  I'm excited either way- if labor is soon (as long as it's closer to at least 37 weeks!), or if I go to 42 weeks- whatever baby needs!  

samikashi's Avatar samikashi 10:07 PM 01-19-2012

Is 35/36weeks about normal to be checking? I don't remember with my Boys.

I'll be back at the OB when I'm 37 weeks and was going to decline thinking what's the point?

Maybe I should go ahead. I guess by then something could be going on that's worthwhile knowing.

Katie8681's Avatar Katie8681 11:05 PM 01-19-2012

I had one vaginal exam prenatally, at the first visit, where the CNM performed some basic pelvimetry. The next one I had was when I was admitted to the hospital in labor at 39 weeks. If the information isn't needed, why gather it? If I had a history of preterm labor, or was having symptoms of preterm labor, or if I were 40+ weeks with no signs of labor, I would have consented to more. Starting at 37 weeks the RN checking me in handed me a drape and instructed me to de-pants, and I smiled, nodded, and kept 'em on, which my midwife was just fine with.

nannybutterfly's Avatar nannybutterfly 09:55 AM 01-20-2012

I was 1.5cm and 70% effaced last Monday, 36 weeks, baby was at -2 station.  I was dialated early with my son too, so I don't think it means I will go at time soon.  My dr. said he figured I would still be pregnant in a week...Having lots of good practice contractions though!thumb.gif

hildare's Avatar hildare 12:05 PM 01-21-2012

37 weeks, i got nothin'.angry.gif

Ramzubo's Avatar Ramzubo 09:24 AM 01-26-2012

So I'm due this Saturday. Had an appointment today and I'm not a single stinking cm dilated and no effacement. My cervix is super soft so at least there's been some progress. I'm hitting up the spicy Indian buffet this weekend.

NourishCreate's Avatar NourishCreate 09:45 PM 01-26-2012

it's totally fine to not have any checks!   I wasn't going to have any, but my midwife wanted to confirm it was baby's head and how low it actually was.  I was a-ok with this, and curious myself.  I'm not sure if i'll have any more checks until labor (or any during labor.)   I do find it interesting the changes that happen though!  

Gunter's Avatar Gunter 07:52 PM 01-27-2012

no checks here, either.  just waiting till things get going and then when one is necessary, it will be fine. 

Up