C-sections? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any other February mamas suspect or know for sure that they'll be having a c-section?  Thought it might be nice to have a DDC thread for us to talk about our plans or fears for the c-section.   And, also post healing advice after the fact.

Mine is scheduled for Friday 1/27 (37 weeks) for complete placenta previa.  At this point, I'm looking forward to the c-section as it's been a rough few weeks of bleeding and scares and I'm relieved to have a secure end date in sight. 

I'm also mostly at peace with it because it's a repeat c-section and I was able to identify what mattered to me most in making sure this one goes better.  The two biggest issues-- no narcotics and being apart from DD for 2 nights!  I'm doing my best to work out plans for both of these and I'm optimistic that I have everything in place. 

What about you?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#2 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Oh my I just typed up a really long reply, and then lost it.  Bummer.  Not going to retype the whole thing right now, but yes, I am scheduled for a "gentle" cesarean on Feb 2nd.  So excited to finally meet our little one!  Had an ultrasound today and she's measuring 6 lbs 3 oz, and has cute little chubby cheeks.  So excited!!

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

#3 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM

still in the 'we don't know' camp.  but when i started packing my bags etc. i packed them for the c-birth version.

you're lucky about the 2 night thing-- is that the norm for your ob or did you negotiate? 

we're supposed to go back for an u/s on the 20th to see if baby's still breech and measure for weight and check if anything's dilated, etc.  which will be 37 weeks for me then, so i think we'll probably be deciding during the visit, most likely. 

if we do, i have good plans in place to discuss things like the spinal drugs and the gentle skin-to-skin immediately details. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Hildare!  I didn't realize your babe is breech.  It's so frustrating isn't it?  Hope he turns!  Are you thinking about doing any interventions (ECV, for example) or are you too concerned about the risk of uterine rupture? 

The 2 night thing isn't the norm but it wasn't a super tough negotiation either.  This ob practice is very reasonable and moderate and I've found that for the most part they are willing to concede on the things that are most important to me (which was the drugs and the early discharge).  They won't let me have a doula in the OR or promise in advance that DH can do skin-to-skin because they are worried about hemmoraging and needing space and a calm environment but at least they have agreed on what matters most to me.  And, they are quick to acknowledge that I'm an educated individual who is not going to take unnecessary risks so if I say x, they can believe I mean it.  It helps to be trusted with my own body ;)

Kkrpata - GL with your c-s.  Is gentle your phrase or your docs? 

#5 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM

I'm most likely having a c-section Baby A is breech and Baby B is transverse. They are pretty cramped in there so it's unlikely baby A will flip.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#6 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

doc hasn't offered to do a version and i know it's kind of silly but for some reason i am afraid to do anything.  i think there must be some "reason" or another that he's in a strange position and i'm scared to mess with it.  the ob says that many times they turn, sometimes right before birth, but just because i'm facing a vbac with a ginormous baby i am not sure of how close to the EDD i can get with this. 

i think i will get a vbac if baby flips soon, & i go into good labor on my own with dilation etc before 39 weeks.  i think if we do an u/s and baby's still breech, and i have no signs of dilation he's going to want to schedule.  we already know he's in the upper 90th percentile, which is where dd was. 

parsley,

your DH is going to get to be in the OR with you, though, right?  they would only let one person and not our doula for the c we had with dd.  i think many times there's a 1-person rule.

did they ever decide if it was accretia? 

#7 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM

hildaire how do you know how big the baby is?

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#8 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM

through u/s.  they can be off, of course, and not entirely accurate - by as much as a pound either way, but this baby is in the upper 90th percentile for size, and dd was too.  she turned out to be a 10 pound baby, and i didn't have (and don't this time) GD.  so there's not a big chance this baby will be less than that. 

if it were a case of an ob trying to push for a c-birth with a first baby being "too big" then i wouldn't buy it so much.  he actually erred with dd on the small side, thought she'd be upper 8- 9 1/2 pounds and was surprised at her birth.  we're using the same ob and he seemed to think that my pelvis was fine with a large baby.  it's just with a vbac the big baby thing is worrisome.

#9 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley View Post

Kkrpata - GL with your c-s.  Is gentle your phrase or your docs? 

I guess “gentle” cesarean was my term.  It was what I had read on here and other websites.  Specifically I am requesting that DH can be with me for the epidural, my hands free, table propped for birth so I can view, “walking” the baby out, she will be handed directly to me, letting the cord pulse for 90 seconds, DH can cut the cord (they are giving him sterile gloves to not disturb the sterile field), all observations /  exams to be done with baby on my chest, DH to assist with weighing of the baby.  Also, they are allowing me up to 2/3 friends / family / support people in the OR.  We will be able to video and take still pics (I don’t want gory video, but I do want video!).  I requested that the baby recover with me, at this hospital it is normal for them to separate mom and baby while mom recovers, I do not want that.  Also no Hep B or eye ointment, why do they even do that for cesarean babies? 

My doctor is wonderful.  She’s never done a cesarean like this.  I think cesareans have become so surgical that hospitals / doctors forgot we’re still giving birth here!  She’s excited about it and is using me as her “guinea pig” to show the hospital that this is reasonable…and hopefully some standard policies / procedures can be changed.  I'm excited that I can have some control over my birth experience, and maybe help change some policies so other mothers can have a better experience too. 

hildare and parsley like this.

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

#10 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Thats awesome your doc is willing to work with you and i hope to it starts a new way of doing things.

#11 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM

That really is wonderful!  I hope you get something great started with your ob! 

#12 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Thank you!  I am so excited but it's hard to tell family / friends about it...they just don't understand how important this stuff is to me.  So it's kind of weird, but I'm really looking forward to my c-section!  :)

#13 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkrpata View Post

I guess “gentle” cesarean was my term.  It was what I had read on here and other websites.  Specifically I am requesting that DH can be with me for the epidural, my hands free, table propped for birth so I can view, “walking” the baby out, she will be handed directly to me, letting the cord pulse for 90 seconds, DH can cut the cord (they are giving him sterile gloves to not disturb the sterile field), all observations /  exams to be done with baby on my chest, DH to assist with weighing of the baby.  Also, they are allowing me up to 2/3 friends / family / support people in the OR.  We will be able to video and take still pics (I don’t want gory video, but I do want video!).  I requested that the baby recover with me, at this hospital it is normal for them to separate mom and baby while mom recovers, I do not want that.  Also no Hep B or eye ointment, why do they even do that for cesarean babies? 

My doctor is wonderful.  She’s never done a cesarean like this.  I think cesareans have become so surgical that hospitals / doctors forgot we’re still giving birth here!  She’s excited about it and is using me as her “guinea pig” to show the hospital that this is reasonable…and hopefully some standard policies / procedures can be changed.  I'm excited that I can have some control over my birth experience, and maybe help change some policies so other mothers can have a better experience too. 

Wow!  Good for you for getting what you need and finding a doc that's so open minded.  I hope it's a wonderful experience!

#14 of 24 Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM

K, that is amazing!  I am C&Ping the details to my "birth plan."  I will be asking for those things as well.  Couldn't hurt to ask, eh?

So, I had a traumatic c/s with Michael, which was this crazy, "planned c/s for breech turned to natural labor turned to emergency c/s under general anethesia for compressed cord."  I don't EVER want to do that again.  I talked thoroughly with my midwife/monitrice (she will not be delivering me, but will monitor me at home until we reach the point of no return, and then we will caravan to the hospital.) about my options.  I wanted to deliver vaginally at home.  Unfortunately, the GD nixxed those plans.  My nighttime blood sugar is controlled (not very well) with insulin, so she can't deliver me at home.  So, next option is currently to labor to 7 cm and drive to hospital, so they can monitor the baby after he is born.  Back up plan is to have a c/s while awake.  I want my baby with me as soon as possible, and DH is to stay with baby until baby is in our room.  Someone I know (at least the doula) is to be in my room if I have had GA.  They are to be there when I wake up.  Last time I was terrified and convinced that my son was dead.  I kept asking the nurse in the room, and I don't remember her ever telling me if he was ok (most likely amnesia caused by the GA).  It was only when my doula came in to tell me he was ok that the dread went away.

Because hospital policy doesn't allow VBACs, I need to figure out what to tell my doc.  He hasn't asked to schedule a date yet for the c/s, and I am just not sure about canceling at the last minute.  Blah.

#15 of 24 Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM

ozzy, that sounds really scary.  if you schedule a c birth this time, though, you'll likely be awake for it. 

did you know that mdc has a cesarean forum now?  also, some of us here will be happy to talk to you about what an awake c can be like.. i think we're all kind of hoping for something a little like Kkrpata has planned if we end up with a cesarean, though! 

#16 of 24 Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ozzyem - I can't imagine how stressful and scary that must have been.  While less than ideal, I don't see any reason why a c-section has to be like that.  In your shoes, I think I would opt for a scheduled c-section this time in order to feel more in control and confident.  (Not that I'm offering advice-- just saying I would be really frightened if I were in your position right now.) 

My c-section with DD was actually really fine.  It was scheduled, I asked questions and was given clear answers about everything that was happening.  DH and 20 minutes later DD were with me the whole time.  DH was told when to stand up and take pictures, DH followed DD across room while they got her started, etc...   I had skin-to-skin on the operating table (though there wasn't room to nurse).  And this wasn't with a progressive doc or a great hospital!  My problems came later from meds and from just hating hospitals so much-- hence my two top priorities were to not have any narcotics in the spinal and to be released after 2 nights.  I'd be happy to tell you more if it would be useful. 

#17 of 24 Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Ozzyem - that does sound very scary!  My first section was an emergency section too, although I was awake for it.  I was very feverish and shaking badly, and convinced also that something bad was going to happen to the baby.  Hearing her cry for the first time, I was honestly shocked.  I honestly thought there was no way...  crazy.  I agree with Parsley about scheduling, for me scheduling gives me the control, and I kind of need that.  My second section was scheduled and was so much easier and was a pretty pleasant experience.  Now that I have some experience under my belt, so to speak, I felt comfortable asking my doctor for what I wanted.  And since she knows me so well and also knows how I react in surgery, she's comfortable trying them out with me. 

I am SO glad MDC has the cesarean forum now.  Such a wealth of information to be shared. 

This is the video I based my birth plan off of.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg  I asked my doctor to watch it as well so she knows exactly what I am looking for :)

#18 of 24 Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM

so.... at the appointment yesterday, baby is no longer breech, but not engaged.  i am not dilated or anything at all. 

baby is now in the 98th percentile of size, around 9 pounds or so already, doc thinks. 

we're going ahead and putting a c-birth on the schedule for possibly feb 7th, which will be 4 days before EDD.  If we start labor, and it seems to be working, we are still hopeful about vbac, but it's much more likely that this one will be a repeat c-birth.  not sure how i feel about it, but the doc was really accommodating about having mama & baby centered birth- he seemed all for it.  what he did say, though, and what might be helpful to you all is that though he can "approve" the family centered skin to skin, etc.  it's really up to the nurses- once baby's out, the ob hands the baby off.  so he thinks our birth plan is extremely helpful and meeting the nurses or getting the "right" one, etc. is more likely to get the kind of c birth experience you might want!! 

#19 of 24 Old 01-21-2012, 01:20 PM

I hate to see this happen... dr.s are off so often when the try to guess the weight. I don't quite understand why you would c-birth before your due date?

#20 of 24 Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Hildare -  you made a really good point!!  I was lucky in that there was already an OB nurse who was actually trying to make these changes at the hospital, however seemed to not have a doctor on board.  So when I brought it up to my doctor, and she talked with hospital admin, she found out that there was an OB nurse who WANTED this!  She warned me from the get go that she needed the whole surgical staff on board, and as far as she's told me she's gotten that.  I got to choose my anesthesiologist, and she's had meetings with the hospital staff about our cesarean.  The only thing that could be a problem now is if I go into labor before my scheduled section, because then you don't know who you're going to get as far as nurses go.  Great point!!  For those looking for a family centered cesarean, make sure your doctor has the nurses on board also!

#21 of 24 Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

HIldare - sorry the babe doesn't seem to be cooperating.  But, wow, how great of your doc to be so flexible.  Thanks too for the great tip regarding the nurses.  Never really occurred to me to try and speak up or influence what nurse I have.  I think I'll try and be very vocal about my preferences before hand to see if I can get someone more on the same page as me. 

#22 of 24 Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I hate to see this happen... dr.s are off so often when the try to guess the weight. I don't quite understand why you would c-birth before your due date?

i thought i responded to this a few posts back in this thread.  are you expecting around february or trying to decide about a c-birth-- or are you just posting here to inquire about my birth choices?  strange.

#23 of 24 Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i thought i responded to this a few posts back in this thread.  are you expecting around february or trying to decide about a c-birth-- or are you just posting here to inquire about my birth choices?  strange.

I was wondering the same thing.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#24 of 24 Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 AM

This will be a repeat (actually a 3peat ;)) csection for me. I am at peace with the fact that I'm having a csection and am prepared to make the best of it.

For me, it is helpful to remind myself that my 1st section was vital...without it, neither me nor my oldest DS would be here!

But I found the first section scary and, of course, not my ideal vision of a birth!

My 2nd DS's section was a lot better because I knew what to expect and had come into the experience much more organized and prepared (yes, you absolutely CAN have a "birth plan" even with a csection!)

This time around, I have again typed up a birth plan and feel as prepared and as in-control of things as is possible given the circumstance! The important thing with the csection to me is that, unless there is a medical emergency, I want to hold the baby immediately and bring him into the recovery room with me/nurse him in the recovery room... that way, I don't feel like I've lost as much of that special bonding time just because I had a surgical birth. 

And I guess I'm lucky that the hospital where I birth lets csection mamas start rooming-in with their babies right away. 

The one thing I'm HUGELY dreading is the spinal... I hate hate hate that paralyzed sensation. UGH, hate it. It makes me feel woozy and nauseous and awful. I was thinking about discussing the idea of doing an epidural instead of a spinal during the section... has anyone opted for this? What is the difference?

-Ruby :) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page