january chat thread- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how's it going ya'll? 

i finally got some stuff organized in drawers. 

my 2yo is being a very major beast right now.  i don't know what's happening.. she says she can't wait to see the baby but is being just plain evil. 

how bout you?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 71 Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm finally feeling pretty ready!  I've washed and hung all her clothes, although I still want to sun some of our cloth diapers, make them nice and fresh for her.  We have a bassinet set up, and bought a new swing.  We still need to get a carseat from SIL, however her baby is still using it.  She promises to evict him as soon as our little one comes :)  She's ready to move him to a convertable seat, and we just moved our older DD to a booster seat so we're able to trade our convertable seat for her infant seat and save some money!  I still want to make diapers, and sew up a nursing cover.  I made myself another wrap a few days ago, I have a moby but I swear it shrunk.  So yeah, we're getting there!

My DD is kind of the same Hildare, only she's almost 6.  She can't wait for baby either however is throwing a fit over missing a day of school the day the baby comes.  Even if I didn't care if she was at the hospital or not, my family will be there so there's no one to take her to school!  She doesn't want to mess up her "perfect attendance".  My 3YO DS is excited for baby to come, but right now he's the baby and I think he might be surprised to see how much of my attention she needs....

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

#3 of 71 Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Hello!

Everything is coming along...I think I'll be really, really ready in the next weekend or two. I've spent the last few weeks decluttering and de-crapifying where I can. DH & I are working furiously on "nesting projects" and I'm happy with the progress we've made. We're doing some rearranging to accommodate the baby in our room...once that's done, I'll wash and bring up the newborn clothes. DS2 has transitioned to sharing a room with his big brother...though he only makes it there about 1/2 the night so far.

I knit a very sweet little sweater that I'm so proud of and plan to accomplish a hat too. A blanket might be too ambitious considering I'm running out of time.

I still have to buy 2 radian car seats so that we'll get 3 kids across the back of the car.

And the best news so far is that I was potentially going to risk out of a homebirth due to a low-lying placenta. But I had a final ultrasound today, it's in a safe spot and I'm all clear to go ahead with my plans!!!

#4 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM

I am feeling sooooooo ready to have this baby.  I had a major growth spurt over the holiday season and the beached whale feeling has reached a whole new level.  I am also winding down at work.  I have a ton of stuff to get finished before I leave but my energy levels are so low that finishing everything seems impossible.  The fact that I am technically on leave already (the University wouldn't let me begin leave mid semester) but still working is also killing my motivation a bit.  Part of me wants to just enjoy my early leave but I think I would go insane at home alone all day with no baby.

#5 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

nooooo.  go home!  GO HOME!  lie about and rest.  if you have any kind of choice, do eeeet. 

all i can do is sit and think of ways to get out of here early. 

i am tired of wearing clothes and the desk chair.  i seriously considered today what might happen if i start to show up in my pjs/yoga pants. 

and frogautumn, that is wonderful news.  i am so happy for you!

#6 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Welp, we have everything but a dresser for the baby. And that isn't even a necessity. I washed everything (including new carriers, sheets for co-sleeper and fabric for bouncer), and put them in my closet. Along with all the baby clothes and diapers

I just got my birth kit today. Now, I have to start organizing all of the supplies, and put them in their proper place.

I had an appt. today (35 weeks). It was my first home visit. Really neat. My midwife drew blood to check my iron levels (I showed up as anemic at 28 weeks), and I swabbed myself for GBS. She said I measured 39 weeks, but not to worry unless I measure that far ahead more than once. Hopefully at my 37 week visit, I will go back to only 2 weeks ahead. We'll see. I also pick up the birth tub at that visit, and will do a test run with it.

Since I am not up for cleaning base boards, mopping, cleaning finger prints off our sliding glass doors (everything that requires leaning over), I have decided to have a cleaning service come and do a one time deep cleaning. Since these jobs would have fallen on my husband, he is all for it. I'll probably have them come next week, so, keeping everything maintained will be a piece of cake. This is a luxury I did not do last time. I am really looking forward to it.

Other than that, i just have to clean out my freezer, and start cooking! :)

hildare, my son has been pretty good, but I still have no patience of his antics. I get pretty tapped out with really quickly.

Kkrpata, that is funny you daughter doesn't want to mess up her attendance.

frogautumn, that is great news about your placenta.

atomicrocket, I agree- go home. You will get extremely bored, but after you have your baby, you will look back and regret not resting. Really!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#7 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM

I handed over baby naming responsibilities to DH, of course I can veto, but for now he's in charge. I have baby clothes all folded up and in a small dresser in my room, birth supplies are in order and ready to go, baby diapers are clean. Last night I went to bed feeling so done and ready to meet baby and this morning I woke up feeling at peace with the rest of the pregnancy. It's a very nice feeling so I'm just savoring it, hoping I can keep the calm through to the end. Doubtful but hopeful ;)

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#8 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM

I'm just now getting into the 'getting ready for baby-for REAL' phase! We had a baby shower over the holidays and that helped alot. I had almost nothing before and so now am facing the reality of where to put baby things. I left the house today for a midwifery appointment and when I came back my dh had moved clothes from closet to closet, hung up pictures, moved boxes that have been sitting forever and figured out how he can jig up a place for baby things!

I'm hesitant to wash baby clothes mostly b/c what if I need to take them back for some reason AND b/c we're using coin laundry at this point :/

The birth kit is set up. I was lucky in that my past clients have given me their leftovers and so I simply had to combine and remove some things and found I had most everything! The things I'm lacking I at least know about now and have a list. I just bought my pool. No use in renting for me as I can use it for future clients. I'm excited to get a test run out of it when it gets here.

I'm really hoping to stick it out until the end w/o getting that ridiculously uncomfortable 'wanna be done' fiasco i see so many times :/ Hoping that for all of us actually!

#9 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkins View Post

Since I am not up for cleaning base boards, mopping, cleaning finger prints off our sliding glass doors (everything that requires leaning over), I have decided to have a cleaning service come and do a one time deep cleaning. Since these jobs would have fallen on my husband, he is all for it. I'll probably have them come next week, so, keeping everything maintained will be a piece of cake. This is a luxury I did not do last time. I am really looking forward to it.

Here too!  I basically never do things like baseboards anyway shy.gif so it will be really nice to have a super clean house.   My dear sweet MIL very thoughtfully got me a gift certificate for a cleaning service for Christmas.  

I'm relieved to hear that others are feeling less tolerant with their older LOs.  I have been feeling guilty about my lack of patience with DD, especially because I think she's sensing the impending change and feeling a little needy.  I also just feel less....fun.  I think I used to be more fun as a mom?  Now I just want to sit on the couch and read books all the time.  eyesroll.gif

We still have a lot of preparation left to do, but I've made bacon leek quiches, pork burritos, swedish meatballs & gravy, and a few shepherd's pies for the freezer.  For some reason, food in the freezer felt most important to me before DD's birth and it's the same this time around.  Laundry, bedding, etc just feels less critical.  

I'm really looking forward to getting down to business taking care of a sweet new little baby in a few weeks!!  love.gif   

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#10 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 PM

I'm super stressed and not ready at all. We just got our stuff from the move on Sunday. We switched from a birth center to homebirth, and our home visit is on the 25th. We have to pay out of pocket in full and get reimbursed. Our move allowance will probably not be enough to cover everything. California is so different with insurance than Washington and our old company's insurance which paid for everything with no deductible and no copay, so dealing with insurance is so new to us. I loved my baby shower but got nothing practical, mainly baby clothes, so we have so much to still buy. I did order a crib and dresser today, which for some reason felt like essentials even though they're not. There's tons more that we have to pay for, and "friends" sometimes end up being self centered, unappreciative douche bags. Thank goodness we have a real friend whose sending us a box of baby goodies, so I'm finishing hunting down all the baby stuff I do have tomorrow and taking inventory so she doesn't send something we don't need. Sorry for the rant. So thankful my DH is committed to a homebirth and said he'll take out a loan if we need to! We did find a doula but she's also a student midwife so there's 50% chance that she'll be at the birth as an assistant so we are going to interview a few more doulas that she works with as her backup,

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#11 of 71 Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM

ugh The app on my phone cut me off. Maybe I should take that as a sign and stop ranting wink1.gif. Sorry for venting. Definitely feeling stressed and DH is out of town on business tonight. I'm sure it will all come together somehow, it always does.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#12 of 71 Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Right of Passage, I hope to feeling done, too, so, I can have that peace of mind.

Lovebeingamidwife, I would at least wash have of the newborn/0-3month stuff you have gotten (maybe only a couple of the newborn things in case your baby isn't tiny). So, you at least have something. The rest you can return if you feel you won't need them.

1blueheron, I know how long it took me to get back to really cleaning after I had my son, so, this is going to be great.

kaydove, sounds like you still have time to get everything ready. I think having a place to put things (dresser) really helps starting the organization process. It's also hard to be prepared so far ahead of time with your first. You'll be fine.

AFM. I got my dresser/changing table today. I also cleared out my freezer, and started to make my freezer meal list.

I finally made thorough lists of how I want all my supplies (labor, birth and post partum) to be organized. It's always easier for me to wrap my brain around something when I write it down first.

I remember seeing this thread a while back and it gave me a bit of inspiration. *6 posts down with the pics*

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1314832/a-few-homebirth-kit-questions

My things will be organized a bit different, but the separation of items is what I found helpful.

Now, I just have to get started with the actual, physical process. :)

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#13 of 71 Old 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM

I should post pictures of my birth supplies. I'm very simple in contrast to the thread shared. I have:

• pool (already inflated)
  • birth ball (already inflated) 
  • chux pads
  • gloves (for the placenta after) 
  • shower curtain liner
  • comfrey 
  • rescue remedy 
  • arnica 
  • a rice sock
  • big bucket
  • hose
  • sink adapter
  • plumbers tape
  • peri bottle
  • witch hazel
  • pads
  • household items like towels, receiving blankets, clean sheets, baby clothes, baby diapers

Comfrey, arnica, peri bottle, witch hazel, gloves are for post partum. 

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014

#14 of 71 Old 01-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Yep, you are definitely more of a minimalist with your supplies. Though, I bet this all a walk in the park for you now. :)

I liked the idea of also having different baskets. I did have things scattered about after I came home from the birth center with my son. Now, I will have everything within reach whether it's PP things for me by my bed, PP things for my bottom in one spot in the bathroom, and things for the baby right next to my bed for those first couple of days and nights.

#15 of 71 Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Baskets for the different stages it a brilliant idea! Especially the PP basket. I think I'm minimalist by default, I don't labor long enough to need much. Which is a good and a bad thing, fast and furious labors are hard! We used maybe $20 of my $70 birth kit last time. >.< 

#16 of 71 Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM

kkrpata- great timing with your sister!  my neighbor will be handing over her boppy to me whenever i am ready for it as she's done with it.  just using it behing her daughter's back while she sits up.  our kids are the same age, btw.  i was a bit worried about how my 3 (almost 4) y.o. would be as a big sister but she is so coming into her role.  she totally is excited and tells me her plans with this babe.  she picks out outfits from the closet and has her own outfit picked out hanging with the babe's clothes for the first day.  it's precious.  we read a really great book today where the youngest sibling is the one who soothes the babe.  i made sure to point out that would be her! 

frogautumn- so cool about the sweater and your homebirth!  yay for placentas that move into their right place!  you've reminded me that i need to make this babe a little hat soon.

atomicrocket- beached whales unite!  i am so feeling that way as of this week.  it feels like a huge event to just roll over or stand up and walk sometimes.  and, i want to stay preggo for a bit longer- no early babe here this time!  but, how will i move?  should we buy cranes to transport ourselves?  at the grocery store today, i asked the kids to push ME in the cart.  goodness, they wished i was serious. 

hildaire- even though my prenatal yoga class got canceled today, i spent the day in loose sweat pants anyway.  and a nice red sweater.  And, yes, i did leave the house a few times even!  quite the sight.

slimkins- yay for homevisits and housecleaners!  i have both coming up soon.  we have a totally 'green' cleaning service that i used when i had horrible morning sickness with my second babe and we've called them back during this pregnancy a couple of times.  i love supporting them and so appreciate that they use vinegar and reusable rags, etc.  my homevisit is next week, too and i will be 36 weeks. 

ROP- so glad that you are feeling at peace and organized!  i am getting really organized with baskets, too in the bottom of our closet.  i think i killed a thread with my post about it.  so, all of the dipes are in a basket with hats and socks.  snacks for my older two are in a basket.  we have a birth and PP basket beside my bed.  the birth kit is ready and a stack of towels, receiving blankets, wash cloths, etc is in a zipped up bag beneath the birth kit.  all the clothes are hanging in part of our closet.  feels so good!!!  there is some drama in my midwifery community and that is not feeling so good on the other hand.  being a student, it's just been way too close to home this pregnancy.  i am trying to sort my way through it but not enjoying the navigation. 

lovebeingamidwife- what a precious and thoughtful hubby!  we hung some beautiful birthy prints from etsy.com last weekend!  my birth kit is that same hodge podge of things.  it was fun to look online at the details my midwife wants included and then walk downstairs with my girls to retrieve them from my stash.  the girls really got a kick out of shopping from the closet and asking what different things are for.  we put in some of my own faves, too.  i am trying not to use too much disposable stuff this time.  now that i have attended my last birth before my own babe, i can pull more things from my birth bag that i usually take. 

1blueheron- i am totally less fun these days, too.  we do a lot of sitting on the floor reading books or playing a guessing game the girls like.  we make collages.  the girls help me clean and straighten things up more.  i so can barely bend over and am always asking them to pick something up off the floor for me!  today, i told them that in just a couple of months, when it's almost spring, we'll have way more fun.  we're talking about what we'll do this summer even.  i started reading a 'taking care of a newborn' book today just for reminders and tips that i may have forgotten.

kaydove- i have a ton of extra homebirth stuff if you want to make a list of anything you still need.  i'd be happy to mail you a package, really.  sorry it's hard right now.  it's going to get easier and better!  can you try to meet some mamas?  go to a LLL meeting nearby or a homebirth meet up?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#17 of 71 Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Can you guys believe that we've had no babies born yet, even though we have mamas at 38 weeks?

I'm going on 36 weeks here.  Hubby has been gone for two weeks and won't make it home for 2 more.  We have 4 feet of snow on the ground now and the temps overall have been 20 degrees colder than what we are used to.  Lots of stuff is breaking, but thankfully the goats and chickens are all healthy.  I'm having to do some super hard work for this stage of pregnancy, running the chainsaw, lots of digging... yesterday I was running a torch to thaw water lines down at our spring and even climbed a tree to reroute the pipe so it could drain back properly.  Crazy, but good.  Love this life.  Hope you guys are feeling good!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#18 of 71 Old 01-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Oh Gunter! You are so sweet! I'm a little confused on what the midwives are providing and what I need to buy, so I'll clarify that at my appointment on Tuesday. I emailed one of the last night, asking if we can make payments even though its to the point where they would normally require the full fees. If they won't except 2 payments, we'll have to transfer back to the birth center, so I'm trying to mentally/emotionally prepare for that. Things are looking up, we'll be able to afford everything if we can make payments. Its tough when my DH is away on business, no one to talk to here, so I stress myself into a ball of anxiety. I'm feeling much better! Thanks!

#19 of 71 Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

Can you guys believe that we've had no babies born yet, even though we have mamas at 38 weeks?

I know!  I keep wondering if maybe someone has had a baby but hasn't had time to post about it yet.  :)

Oh and mtn.mama, you sound like one tough pregnant lady.  I felt so bad*ss hauling firewood and turning compost, until I read your post!  winky.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#20 of 71 Old 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post

I know!  I keep wondering if maybe someone has had a baby but hasn't had time to post about it yet.  :)

Oh and mtn.mama, you sound like one tough pregnant lady.  I felt so bad*ss hauling firewood and turning compost, until I read your post!  winky.gif

I feel like we have a smaller group than usual. Is that just me?

And I get winded just carrying my son to the bathroom in the middle of the night. :)

#21 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

slimkins - I think we do seem to have a pretty small group, at least in terms of active posters.  I still expected our group to have had at least 1 baby by now though.  We are lucky!

mtn.mama - I agree that you are one tough pregnant lady!  bigeyes.gif

hildare and slimkins - I think I am going to make this my last week.  I had hoped that I would work right up to my due date but now that it is approaching all I want to do is hang out in my pajamas at home. 

1bluheron - Having lots of freezer food has been a priority for me lately too.  It seems to be the only type of possible nesting behavior that I have experienced so far.  DP and I picked up a bunch of stuff to make homemade pizzas and we're going to make a bunch of mini pizzas and freeze them this week.  I don't know why but I am ridiculously excited about having homemade mini pizzas on hand.  Yum!

#22 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Yum, atomicrocket, homemade mini pizzas sound like a fabulous idea!!  I may have to do that if I have time once my mom gets here.

#23 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM

How do you make your pizza's to freeze? I just bought ingredients to make pizza some night this week, but I've never thought of making ones to freeze. I've been craving pizza though so that sounds really good to have a bunch in the freezer.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#24 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM

we froze calzones b/c i wasn't sure about how to freeze pizzas.  would love to hear how they stay all put together...bake them first?

my MIL is here today helping with my girls and the house.  she's taken them outside to play at least twice so far which is so fabulous.  they love to be outside and it's just making my bones hurt to be out there these days.  plus, i had a lot of BH this past weekend.  the pelvic pain finally got so bad that i started taking Cal Mag supplement.  I hope it begins to help asap.  It's really nice to have a day of rest today!  I get so freaked out when the BH are intense. I just want them to stop coming and for this babe to stay in.

mtn.mama- when i was whining in pain on the floor the other night (doing cat/cow yoga), i told DH, there is a woman in my DDC that climbed a tree today and thawed things with a friggin blowtorch!  none of my pregnancies have ever felt this intense.  goodness.  way to stay healthy and active!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#25 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM

I actually haven't figured out how to freeze the pizzas properly yet, heh.  I've never tried freezing homemade pizzas before, but I like experimenting so I'm going to try it anyways.  I think I am going to freeze a few fully cooked, and also try freezing some where I have baked the crust only, then put the toppings on just prior to freezing.  I'm not sure how well it will work if I don't cook the crust first, but maybe I'll try that too.  I'll do a trial run tonight and then test each of the mini pizzas and report back on the results yummy.gif

If somebody else has a good method let me know!

#26 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Well, I've never done it before, but my best guess would be: parbake the crusts, top, wrap up and freeze.

#27 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post

Well, I've never done it before, but my best guess would be: parbake the crusts, top, wrap up and freeze.

Yeah, I just spent a few minutes googling how to make frozen pizzas and this seems to be the preferred method.

#28 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks, now I need to go grocery shopping again and buy more stuff to make a ton of pizza's. :)

On another note, my DH is out of town tonight. Please Lord don't let me have my baby until he is back in town. I'm only 37 wks and some odd days, but just my luck I'll go into labor while he is gone. My last 3 were all born right around 39 wks so that's what I'm expecting this time too.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#29 of 71 Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM

My DH is out of town tonight until tomorrow too and after lifting boxes, trying to get the house unpacked, my sciatica was acting up and getting more BH ctx. I'm only 36 weeks so I'm practically begging baby to stay in until 40!

#30 of 71 Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

we usually just freeze the dough, and throw the 'za together with whatever is on hand or what we feel like atm.  i like ricotta in my calzones and it's the one thing that i KNOW freezes terribly, so i will put some dough in the freezer but beyond that, i'm not much help. 

i can't believe the nesting i've done the past two days.  if i didn't have to work i might have all the things organized.  i washed every single piece of laundry- even the rags and too small stuff that always sits at the bottom of the hamper.  i threw out old underwear and organized my drawers.  nothing is safe.  it's so insane, i feel frantic about it-- like i couldn't just lie there and watch a movie when it was time to go to bed, i just thought about what i had to get done. 

is this happening to anyone else?  i remember with dd, right before i had her, i washed ALL the windows. 

though when i got to my real job this morning, i am strangely unmotivated once again.  computer work is just not the same.

i can't believe mtn. mama and kaydove, hanging out without your dh's.  i would be freaking out. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page