GBS positive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boo. I tested positive for GBS today. Looks like another labor with antibiotics.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM

I'm sorry. Did the antibiotics bother you last time? I tested negative with my last pregnancy. I swabbed myself today, and just have a feeling I am going to test positive this time.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

No, the antibiotics didnt bother me, but I hate taking them and plus, it means when I first arrive at the hospital I have to be strapped to the machine for the first 20 minutes. Its not that long, but it slowed everything down for me last time.I'm super prone to yeast, but Ive been taking a probiotic for about a month now in preparation for this and hopefully cold prevention.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Rin

I swabbed last night...waiting for my results.

I didn't have to test with my DS so I'm not real sure how I feel about this one.

I too, have a feeling it'll be positive for that very reason.

I was very tempted to pretend I swabbed myself ,but then I started thinking about all the risks involved if I was, and the baby contracted it. 

If I'm positive, I'll have an intramuscular shot of antibiotics and a Hibaclens (sp).

Ho hum...

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM

So, my midwife told me to douche with lavender EO mixed with water.  She said if the test comes back positive after that, then I really did have GBS.  Haven't checked it out yet.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post

I was very tempted to pretend I swabbed myself ,but then I started thinking about all the risks involved if I was, and the baby contracted it. 

I was tempted to do this, too, but didn't for the same reason. if I am positive, I absolutely want to know. Kind of like when I had to do the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I didn't do a darn thing in between the blood draws, cause I wanted as accurate of results as possible.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM

i declined the test last time (& this one too) b/c i think watching the problem signs is a better way to do it. 

but: last time with dd, we ended up falling into one of the risk categories with waters breaking for over however many hours (too lazy to look it up) so i got the abx anyway.  this time since we're not sure what's happening, we'll just look at what happens when birth begins. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM

I tested neg, but I also had a funny feeling that I would test GBS+ this time, asked my midwife what I could do and she recommended a clove of garlic inserted vaginally for a week. I did it before the test. I struggle with yeast and recurrent BV (if I am given antibiotics) and this was the first time I tried garlic. Just a thought. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM

there is a strict but effective regime out there for anyone interested in getting rid of it.  PM me and i will send it to you.  it worked well for multiple friends of mine.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM

Are you still inserting the garlic up until delivery or was that just to get the negative test?

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Hip Hip NEGATIVE Hooray!!!! Although, since I tested at 35 weeks, I'll still keep an eye on babe for any symptoms. :)

Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Waiting for my results now.  I was positive last pregnancy and labor was too quick to get in the antibiotics.  If i'm positive this time then i'll use the Hibiclens wash.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

there is a strict but effective regime out there for anyone interested in getting rid of it.  PM me and i will send it to you.  it worked well for multiple friends of mine.

Curious why you can't/won't share it on a public forum. 

Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Rin

I was negative too!

YAY!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Got my test taken today.  Very scared of being positive.  I hate IVs with a passion, and the thought of starting labor with an IV just makes me really sad. 

I've gotten a positive urine test, a few years ago, and a negative urine test, earlier this year before I was pregnant.  So, fingers crossed!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 PM

I'm positive, for the first time... Negative with my last two. I don't really even know what it means, aside from needing IV antibiotics in labor, though I have to have a heplock anyway cause I'm a VBA2C. Kinda just sounds like a pain in the butt more than anything...

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Negative here, hooray!!  Was positive last time.  Took probiotics, maybe that helped?  

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM

I tested positive for the first time this pregnancy. My midwives have me on a regimen for 6 nights - 3 nights with 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide and 2 tbs of yogurt + pro biotic inserted vaginally. Last three nights just yogurt + robotic. Also recommending I take a robotic orally which I plan to mix into yogurt since I'm at my max for swallowing capsules right now. Will test again next week, if I'm positive I am thinking I will probably just go with the hibiclens since we are having a home birth and antibiotics are not an option, unless my bag of waters has been broken for over 24 hrs before labor starts.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 AM

Damn it. I just got the results- positive. 

I hate IVs. I hate being strapped down. I really wanted to labor completely freely, without having a needle in my arm, and now this sucks and I'm totally disheartened. This also means going to the hospital much earlier than I wanted to and the possibilities for a natural birth going down. 

Damn it. So much positivity out the window. 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 AM

TeamGr......I hear you!!! This is my second pregnancy with GBS. My new midwife will let me stay at home for up to 10 hours after my water breaks before going to the hospital (18 hours is the medical cut off). I've also been cleared for a water birth. They will still administer the Abx through a hep lock while I'm in the tub. It only takes 20 minutes to run through and it's administered every 4 hours. It is VERY possible to still have a natural birth with the minor irritation of an IV every 4 hours. Don't be discouraged....keep your focus on what you can have and what you do want. You won't get everything you dream of in birth, because it's so unpredictable, but GBS will NOT hold you back. I'm sorry you're feeling the disappointment that comes with a new diagnosis....it's a miserable place to be for a while. Try to stay positive though. And talk to your provider about extending your time at home. That will make a huge difference! Best of luck. 

Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGR View Post

Damn it. I just got the results- positive. 

I hate IVs. I hate being strapped down. I really wanted to labor completely freely, without having a needle in my arm, and now this sucks and I'm totally disheartened. This also means going to the hospital much earlier than I wanted to and the possibilities for a natural birth going down. 

Damn it. So much positivity out the window. 

Aww, TeamGR, I'm sorry!  They should be able to just put in a heparin lock and not leave you tethered to an IV the whole time.  Like siffleuse said, it's just 20 minutes every 4 hours.  I had the abx last time, it was not that big of a deal and I don't think it interfered with my ability to have a natural birth (well, *mostly* natural, but that's another story and has nothing to do with abx).  Since you're not due until the end of Feb, you could also try a course of probiotics and ask to be retested in a couple of weeks.  And in any event, it might be a good idea to have some probiotics on hand as a precaution in case you do get the abx, you don't want to end up with yeast/thrush issues.  hug2.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks, ladies. I'm trying to stay positive and think about all the things I can do to strengthen the bag of waters (vitamin C for everyone!), so that I can labor at home for longer. 

The probiotics and retesting is a good idea, since I do have another 4 weeks to go.  I'm hoping this is my little "blip" and I can keep going from here. 

Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Team Gr...not sure you want to go this route, but you can insert a garlic clove into your vagina for a few nights before bed. It will likely eradicate the Strep B colony. I know a few moms who have done this and have been successful at avoiding the ABX. There's a ton of info online about this relatively low-risk protocol. I am actually going to do it soon...but not to avoid the meds, just to strengthen my membranes to prevent an early rupture. I have also been taking zinc every night for a couple months per my midwife.  

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGR View Post

Thanks, ladies. I'm trying to stay positive and think about all the things I can do to strengthen the bag of waters (vitamin C for everyone!), so that I can labor at home for longer. 

The probiotics and retesting is a good idea, since I do have another 4 weeks to go.  I'm hoping this is my little "blip" and I can keep going from here. 

About strengthening your bag of waters.. I read about a clinical study that showed that bioflavanoids will do this. They're highly concentrated in the pith of oranges. I've been eating oranges every day and leaving on as much of the pith as I could. I had PROM with my first. 

I was also just telling someone in another thread about Yest Guard, a probiotic suppository for yeast infections. I wonder if this would be beneficial. 

I have my 36wk on Friday and I was GBS+ with my first, so I'm a little worried.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM

GBS+ here too :( Does being positive increase your risk for Prom?

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 AM

No but PROM makes the risks of GBS infection in you and baby higher.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Ohhh okay well that makes me feel better. Still not happy about the GBS tho.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 PM

I tested + at 36 weeks in my last pregnancy, but tested - at 38 weeks and was able to avoid the abx (which I was going to refuse anyway, regardless of the 2nd test). My midwife gave me a bunch of handouts on herbal/alternative remedies, and they worked! If I remember correctly, I took the following items religiously in the remaining few weeks of my pregnancy: Jarrow's probiotcs, extra vitamin C, Grapefruit seed extract 3x/day, echinacea, and Goldenseal (?). I also ate a ton of yogurt and kefir and tried to clean up my diet and boost my immune system as much as possible - not just to get the negative test result, but to keep my body as healthy as possible.

This time around, I'm having a homebirth and tested negative at my 36 week appt (which was my midwife's home visit, so she just had me swab myself in the bathroom). I'm still religiously taking the probiotics and extra vitamin C just to be on the safe side. I was doing the GSE for a while, but have gotten a bit lax about it lately.

Good luck!

femalesling.GIF to my DS and belly.gifwith baby #2 (due 2/2012)

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Just got my result today, positive. I was with my first, too. I'm not feeling like it's a huge deal. I'll have a saline lock anyway 'cause I'm a VBAC'er and I don't have any real problems with yeast or antibiotics or anything. Of the things they give to women in labor I feel some ampicillin is pretty harmless in comparison. I do want to be proactive about getting probiotics going afterward, though! I'm getting some Kefir this week to have on hand. I plan to have my mom bring that over after the birth so I can get started right away. I'm not sure what to do for the babe, though as I know that it will cross the placenta. Has anyone used probiotics on an infant? I could pump and mix some in and give it in a syringe, I suppose.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post

Just got my result today, positive. I was with my first, too. I'm not feeling like it's a huge deal. I'll have a saline lock anyway 'cause I'm a VBAC'er and I don't have any real problems with yeast or antibiotics or anything. Of the things they give to women in labor I feel some ampicillin is pretty harmless in comparison. I do want to be proactive about getting probiotics going afterward, though! I'm getting some Kefir this week to have on hand. I plan to have my mom bring that over after the birth so I can get started right away. I'm not sure what to do for the babe, though as I know that it will cross the placenta. Has anyone used probiotics on an infant? I could pump and mix some in and give it in a syringe, I suppose.

The baby will probably get enough probiotics from you, you think? Otherwise, I have heard of moms putting some on their nipple before baby nurses. The one I used in the past was powdered.

User Tag List