Baby Dropping & Positioning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have any of your LO's "dropped" yet? Even though this is my 3rd, I feel like I've never felt either of them drop. People keep asking me this time, but everything feels the same. I still feel butt and feet in my ribs occasionally. Haven't really had trouble breathing this time (despite having asthma) and have occasionally felt some pelvic pressure. I don't know, I can never tell! 

I have also been having pretty regular contractions (although I'm convinced they're BH) and I'm starting to wonder if my little guy is posterior. I feel a lot of wiggles in the front/lower belly and kicks on either my left side or middle of my belly. Maybe my uterus is just trying to scoot him into a better position. 

I'm almost 38 w, EDD Feb 1st. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#2 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM

I dropped a couple weeks ago, went from measuring 42 weeks and then feeling lots of down ward pressure, to measuring 38 weeks. First time I've dropped before labor, thought it was pretty awesome!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#3 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM

At my appt last week I told my midwife that I couldn't wait for this baby to drop. She told me "I hate to tell you this but with this being your 3rd baby he/she may not drop til delivery." She said they tend to go downward than go up again since they have a little more room this time around. I must say though some days the baby feels really low than other days not so much, so maybe she is right. On another note I lost my mucus plug yesterday after DH and I engaged in some afternoon delight so labor should be coming soon right.....I hope praying.gif    

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

#4 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM

My LO dropped on Thursday. It's been wonderful. LOL. I can breathe, and I've been nearly heartburn-free :-). Of course, he pops back up sometimes, but he's stayed down for the most part. It's been pretty cool since my DS1 never dropped, and I'd rather be able to breathe and deal with pelvic pressure than the opposite. Plus, I feel more confident that he'll stay head down now as he had still been flipping to breech until last Tuesday. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#5 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM

with this babe, i think s/he dropped at 22 weeks!  haha.  s/he has just been so low the whole time, it seems.  i am having lots of uncomfortable pelvic pressure.  i took the advice of our DDC and bought some Raw Code  Cal Mag.  Been taking it for 2 days now so we'll see how that helps.  Doing lots of cat/cow yoga positions, too.  Yeah, so if s/he drops any lower anytime soon, I do not know how I will walk.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#6 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM

Mine has not dropped at all. He still looks so awkwardly high... or rather, I look awkward.

And since my appt. last week (35 weeks), he has been switching from anterior to posterior quite often. He hadn't been posterior much until last week. I think I also have a ton of fluid, so, he still has so much room to move.

With my last pregnancy, my water broke first. So, I am looking forward to other signs of impending labor this time. FX!!!

moodymomma, good luck with the loss of your mucus plug.

you too with the contractions, mamanoish!!!!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#7 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM

I feel like each day she gets lower and lower. I wished I tracked my belly button location because it's moved up and down my stomach throughout the pregnancy. I ate a ton for brunch this morning, more than I've eaten in a long time! I feel like my stomach has some room so I'm starving! And I'm waddling more each day wink1.gif.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#8 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 PM

I am so glad to hear some of you have had babies who don't drop till labor!  Michael didn't drop either, so I don't know what to expect iwth this one.  I don't thinkg he has dropped yet.  At least he still feels head down, so that's somethign!  Michael turned the night before he was born.

#9 of 47 Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM

This baby dropped a few weeks ago. It feels weird since DD was never this low. I feel like I have to pee all the time. Nothing comes out unless I lean forward smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Baby hasn't dropped yet.  Yesterday morning he felt really low and I got all excited that he had finally dropped but by noon he had his butt back up on my ribs. 

#11 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Mine seemed to drop yesterday. Is it normal for his movements to slow down after dropping? I wonder if he'll stay there or move back up. It's nice to not have as much reflux. 

#12 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM

My Babes hasn't dropped yet, and after reading alot of you're posts- i'm glad! I'm on my feet waiting tables full time right now and pelvic pressure and needing to pee would be the opposite of productive in that setting! I guess I'll be thankful for my lack of air and a butt in my ribs :)

I'm in Slimkins boat- just the last few days this babes has decided to turn posterior on me which just gives me something to be nervous about. Its better than breech I suppose but still doing all sorts of H & K to get him to move around before he gets too settled :)

I wonder if MoodyMomma's havin that baby right now!!?

#13 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I feel like I have to pee all the time. Nothing comes out unless I lean forward smile.gif

Me too! 

It's such a strange sensation having him this low...I sometimes feel like it's hard to walk of if I cough or sneeze too hard, he's just going to come flying out! orngbiggrin.gif

#14 of 47 Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

After reading through a lot of your descriptions, I think my little guy may have dropped yesterday. I was having BH all day and lots of posterior wiggling. Today I haven't felt him nearly as much, but when I have, it's in completely different places than usual. The movement was always on my left side, today I feel it in the back/right side. When I woke up this morning I felt my uterine muscles were sore like I had been doing sit ups or something!! I also haven't had any heart burn today despite eating a lot of peanut butter (usually gives me crazy heart burn). 

No loss of the mucus plug yet!!

And I totally know what you mean about leaning forward to pee ROTFLMAO.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#15 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebeingamidwife View Post

My Babes hasn't dropped yet, and after reading alot of you're posts- i'm glad! I'm on my feet waiting tables full time right now and pelvic pressure and needing to pee would be the opposite of productive in that setting! I guess I'll be thankful for my lack of air and a butt in my ribs :)

I'm in Slimkins boat- just the last few days this babes has decided to turn posterior on me which just gives me something to be nervous about. Its better than breech I suppose but still doing all sorts of H & K to get him to move around before he gets too settled :)

NO baby here yet, LOL :D

Happily married since '06 joy.gif SAHM to DS biggrinbounce.gif Asher born April of '08 and DD energy.gifEvangeline born April of '09. Expecting stork-suprise.gif and planning our first h20homebirth.gif in February of 2012.

#16 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Totally expected to wake up this morning to your announcement.  Those little babes on their own timing...and us wonderful mamas trusting them with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymomma View Post

NO baby here yet, LOL :D

#17 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

I expected an announcement too!! Soon enough, I'm sure. Babies know best :)

#18 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM

I'm hoping for no baby this weekend. We are suppose to be getting a lot of snow tonight and then it's gonna blow around all day on Saturday and then snow again on Sunday. We live in the country. The drifts can get pretty big and I would like the midwife to be able to make it to my house, if possible. I still have a couple weeks before my due date but you never know. My DD decided to come 2 weeks early. Just my luck this baby will decide to come during a blizzard cold.gif

#19 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 PM

I am sure you already know about Optimal Fetal Positioning for those posterior babes!  Here's the link for anyone else who figures out they have a posterior babe.  I am thankful to have pushed out my posterior babe at home but it was really intense!  Been working hard to keep this babe from getting into an asynclitic (her initial position at 5cm) or posterior position (they way she turned and was born).  love.

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebeingamidwife View Post

#20 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM

35 weeks and no engagement here yet/  was having some pelvic discomfort a week or so ago but it did go away

and at my OB visit yesterday it was confirmed baby hasn't dropped. Not surprised as she has been spinning like a top lately! I am curious to see when though. Only a couple days beforehand with our first while a few weeks with the second....

I really do love how each experience is all it's own and keeps you wondering!

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#21 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymomma View Post

I'm hoping for no baby this weekend. We are suppose to be getting a lot of snow tonight and then it's gonna blow around all day on Saturday and then snow again on Sunday. We live in the country. The drifts can get pretty big and I would like the midwife to be able to make it to my house, if possible. I still have a couple weeks before my due date but you never know. My DD decided to come 2 weeks early. Just my luck this baby will decide to come during a blizzard cold.gif

Oh yeah, snow concerns here too.  We live half a mile down a little dirt road.  Luckily the guy who plows for us is great, but it does make you watch the weather a little more closely.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#22 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 AM

I asked DH to go out and shovel the driveway (which has a hill we have to get up) at 11 pm last night just in case! 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#23 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM

I feel like this baby keep going up and down, sometimes he feels really low and sometimes he feels really high.  Still having bad heartburn and my lungs are squished too so I don't think he's dropped too far.  Although on Monday when I was checked, dr. said he felt baby's head and he was at -2 so I guess we'll see...

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#24 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Do you all remember who posted about 24 hours ago that she had been working her butt off to avoid the babe being in a posterior position??? 

Yep, that was me! 

And, guess which baby was confirmed posterior today?  Yep, mine!  ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  I have not sat on a soft comfy chair in 4 months for pete's sake!  ARGHHHHHHHHHHH. 

Going to be spending a lot of time on my hands and knees and leaning over things, cat/cow on the yoga mat, etc.  Woo hoo.  Pray for me if you are the praying type; I so appreciate it. 

#25 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 PM

Gunter, so sorry to hear that. My little guy has been going back and forth these past two weeks. And I do sit on our couch a lot in the evenings. Right now, I am sitting in a very uncushy dining room chair. Definitely helps.

I hope your little ones turns around, and if for some reason doesn't.... I hope your baby does during labor. Early on, preferably. :)

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#26 of 47 Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 AM

I can't help but sit on comfy chairs.  And recline on couches.  Hopefully baby will still cooperate.  Like DD, he seems to be almost always ROA...hopefully we can skip the nuchal hand this time, though!  eyesroll.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#27 of 47 Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Pardon the ignorance, but what does a comfy couch have to do with baby's position? Maybe that's why my LO hasn't dropped? OB mentioned how high he was today and threw out that ulgy "C" word. I'm only 36 weeks, it it just me or is it a little early to be threatening with a section?

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#28 of 47 Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maternalove View Post

Pardon the ignorance, but what does a comfy couch have to do with baby's position? Maybe that's why my LO hasn't dropped? OB mentioned how high he was today and threw out that ulgy "C" word. I'm only 36 weeks, it it just me or is it a little early to be threatening with a section?

Comfy couch has more to do with baby's position in the sense of being posterior vs. anterior, I believe. As for dropped, I thought that with mamas who have already had a baby, they don't necessarily drop until they are in labor or just before, in a lot of cases. Maybe research that and take the info to your OB, if he is already throwing that out there. It does seem a bit early to me, if that is the only criteria he is going off of.

#29 of 47 Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkins View Post

Comfy couch has more to do with baby's position in the sense of being posterior vs. anterior, I believe. As for dropped, I thought that with mamas who have already had a baby, they don't necessarily drop until they are in labor or just before, in a lot of cases. Maybe research that and take the info to your OB, if he is already throwing that out there. It does seem a bit early to me, if that is the only criteria he is going off of.

truedat.gif

#30 of 47 Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkins View Post

Yep, comfy couches/leaning back/reclining supposedly leads to a higher likelihood of baby facing sunny-side up.  And baby not dropping by 36 weeks does not seem like a reason to bring up c-birth even in a first time mother.  I don't think my first ever dropped before labor began, certainly not by 36 weeks.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page