Who's kids are these? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone else finding their older children tiresome these days?  I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter I was struggling to have enough patience with my son but this time around I just feel like I can't stand my children.  I can't believe how much these little people talk, how much they ask for, how much they fight with each other over nonsense, how much they complain, the noise...They have seriously been driving me crazy. I feel like I am suffocating and just wish that I could clean the house, cook good food, and relax all by myself until the baby comes.  

Obviously, everyday what I actually do involves cooking for them, playing with them, reading, etc.  I have been taking a break in the middle of the day "during quiet time" while my daughter naps and my son relaxes with sesame street or the like so that I can recharge a little and make sure that my frustrations are not too obvious hopefully.

Are any of you feeling this way?

#2 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

maybe it is just me, lol.

#3 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 PM

It's not just you! About a week ago, I posted on my other mommy board "Will I ever like my children again?!". I love em but they're driving me crazy. Especially the older one (who just turned 6) I just want to rest! I am so grouchy and I hate that I am. Of course we have great moments, but I'm so tired of the fighting between the two and just the general helplessness of children. HA! I know it's hormones and the fact that I feel like I need a lot more "me" time in the end weeks of pregnancy and that's hard with two other children. Hang in there.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 PM

It's not just you. Although I know I am tired and grumpy, I feel pretty certain it's also changes in DS that are driving me nuts. Seriously clingy/sucky these days and he's pretty much insisting on co-sleeping at night the last couple nights even though we have NEVER co-slept because it doesn't work for any of us!

I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and counting to 10 a lot! lol

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#5 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

You know my littlest is doing the same things! She was out of our bed way sooner than our first was because she just needed her own space-which meant we all did-and slept so much better once she got it and now she is waking up off and on all night and coming into our bed fairly often.  During the day she is so clingy and just seems like she is crying like an infant again or something.  

I feel like some sort of mama dog who wants to nip at her pups who keep messing up the den or something.

#6 of 15 Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 PM

Oh.my.god

Yes.

DD is driving me crazy. She isnt sleeping, she's intentionally dumping all of her food on the floor, she's screaming NO! at me constantly, and she is doing things like pullling every single book off the bookshelf just to throw it on the floor. It's exhausting.

However, she has started to verbalize more of what she needs and wants in a really cute way. Every sentance starts with "I need mine..." like "I need mine kissies," "I need mine milkies." It is adorable. I cant wait for her to meet the baby!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 AM

yes, I feel the same way. My children don't even have to be doing annoying things, it seems lately just having to care for their needs all day is annoying to me. I too just want to relax, read and nest and all three of those are impossible with a two and three year old around. Hoping its hormonal and I'm not just a shitty mom :)

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#8 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

It's not just you. Although I know I am tired and grumpy, I feel pretty certain it's also changes in DS that are driving me nuts. 

Oh yeah, I think DD has been acting differently here too.  What's worse, she is clingy/whiny/bratty around me, and her usual easy-going cheerful self for *other* people!  Argh.

ETA: or maybe it just seems that way?  LOL

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#9 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Totally in the same boat here...especially with my 2 year old.  He is a bear right now!  Always screaming at me, getting mad when I can't read his mind, getting into EVERYTHING, etc.  At least my older three (9, 7, and 5) are at school during the week, but our oldest is (and has been for a while) giving us one heck of a time with his homework, and I am not sure what's going to happen when the new baby comes, because I am not going to be able to hold his hand so to speak and stay on top of what he has to do, and my DH will be busy trying to stay on top of everything else.  Oddly enough, much to our surprise, the 3 weeks they were off for Christmas break wasn't bad at all...but this weekend, maybe because it is a long weekend and DH has come down with some kind of stomach virus and is pretty much in bed all day, has been quite a challenge for me.  Yesterday I felt like I was constantly moving ALL DAY, and I am dreading that repeating today.  I must say though, the older 3 are extremely excited about the new baby coming, especially since it is a girl (they are all boys), so I know it's not any kind of jealousy thing...the 2 year old however, I'm guessing he is sensing the upcoming change and acting out accordingly.  I just have to remind myself, many, MANY times throughout the day, that this too shall pass...

Married to Tom partners.gif since 2001, mom to 4 boys and our first girl born Feb. 19, 2012!

Florida licensed midwife and CPM lovinghandsmidwifery.org

#10 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM

sometimes when people talk about two year olds having a hard time, i think it's because families are often welcoming a new babe around that time.  like, it's not just their age but how their family is changing so much during that year or pregnancy and then a newborn.  i think that makes it harder for them on top of all that they are already going through.  and, thus so much harder on us mamas.  my 2nd was born when my first was 27 months and it was so intense for me that pregnancy.  things have been so much better this time around and i think their older ages are one part of the reason. 

one thing that i am thankful for is the growth we have seen in our youngest who will be four in feb.  i always say that 3 is like the month of march, "in like a lion, out like a lamb" if that makes sense.  they seem so wild and out of control and frustrated at the beginning of 3 but by the time they are almost 4 there is so much more self-control and clear communication, etc. that make it easier to work with them.  i was so worried about how she was going to be during this pregnancy and in welcoming the new babe.  i have been constantly surprised by her though and am really thinking it's going to be fabulous seeing her flourish as a big sister. 

so, in spite of all of that, i totally need time by myself and space and get overwhelmed like every mother in the world does.  DH took over nighttime parenting a long time ago and it helps our family life soooooooo much.  they have no expectation of me putting them to bath, bed or toothbrushing.  it's all the dada.  when we were first new parents and doing kangaroo care/co-sleeping with our tiny babe, DH always commented on how he would have missed out on so much had he not slept close to her (since he worked outside of the home then all week).  having the kids transition to nightime parenting with their dads, if possible while still preggo may help. 

uhm, i also get a massage every week these days and there is nothing like that to help with intense days!  i look forward to it all day long.  go get one, my fellow preggos!  thumb.gif

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#11 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Yesterday my DH watched the kiddos and I went grocery shopping all by myself!! Lol, the joy I find in the little things now days.

My kids have been driving me crazy too. Saturday was a rough day and it was even warm enough that the kids got to go out and play for over an hour. Today has been much better and they haven't been outside. I do need to send them though because it's the warmest day in the forecast. I think it's around 20 out. smile.gif

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#12 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM

I am in this place too. I feel like my boys are mini-tornados of chaos right now. Everything they see, they need to get their hands on. Everything they get their hands on, winds up an enormous mess. I spend far too much time and energy trying to minimize chaos. I'm exhausted, cranky, and long for some alone time.

My saving grace is that they go to sleep pretty early. Then I watch Downton Abbey and knit.

#13 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post

I am in this place too. I feel like my boys are mini-tornados of chaos right now. Everything they see, they need to get their hands on. Everything they get their hands on, winds up an enormous mess. I spend far too much time and energy trying to minimize chaos. I'm exhausted, cranky, and long for some alone time.

My saving grace is that they go to sleep pretty early. Then I watch Downton Abbey and knit.

Yes, this exactly!  The constant picking up after the boys is what is driving me crazy.  Especially now that I am wanting everything in its place and clean, it can be so frustrating that 10 minutes after we clean house, it is destroyed again.  And I definitely want some alone time as well, especially because once the new baby comes, that will fly out the window for a while :)

Married to Tom partners.gif since 2001, mom to 4 boys and our first girl born Feb. 19, 2012!

Florida licensed midwife and CPM lovinghandsmidwifery.org

#14 of 15 Old 01-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Yep, count me in. It must be something about this time in pregnancy that turns them into terrors. My DS1 has been crazier than usual. He hates school, he complains about EVERYTHING and he's constantly up my butt. DS2 has decided that he and his brother are suddenly enemies and must fight over EVERY.DARN.THING.EVER. I thought maybe they were bored, since my energy level was down a bit and we hadn't been doing as much outside as usual, so I started taking them for 2 mile bike rides, on a nature walk and then sitting at the park for an hour. We've done this for the past 9 days. No change in behavior. dizzy.gif

I know they're getting anxious and ready for their brother to come out. Hopefully it will adjust the dynamics and this behavior will change after baby. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#15 of 15 Old 01-18-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

I am so relieved to hear that it isn't just me being awful or something.  My husband doesn't think I am a tyrant or anything he mostly says I am exaggerating how grumpy I am because I am too hard on myself but still things just feel so overwhelming sometimes and I start to feel like I am failing.  Don't even get me started on the cleaning!  What a nightmare that is lately.  I want everything very organized and clean, at least at the end of the night and when I wake up I get it that I have little kids, but how in the heck am I supposed to ever make any progress when they can tear things apart SO MUCH FASTER than I can put them back together?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page