Mothering Forum banner

Homebirthers: What are you feeding the crew?

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  peacechild 
#1 ·
I'm working hard for this last week and a half to have everything 100% ready for baby by 36 weeks (next Thursday!), so this week I'll be doing the last of the food prep. My midwife is vegetarian (ovo-lacto), so my plan is to have muffins for breakfast, vegetarian chili for lunch, and pizzas for dinner. For the pizzas I'm making the dough ahead of time and rolling it out into four individual size crusts, pre-baking and then freezing those crusts. I'll just have lots of topping options on hand (though I don't know how vegetarians get protein on a pizza besides cheese), so everyone can make their pizza how they want it and just throw it in the oven to finish off. So, those are the meals I have planned. If we go more than 24 hours I am not sure yet what I'll do.

I also have kept veggies on hand that complete a nice veggie tray and we always have lots of fresh fruit, so there will be snacks for everyone.

What is everyone else planning?

#2 ·
So glad this thread has come up because I'm almost 38 weeks and I'm starting to get slightly nervous about this.

My midwife is either vegetarian or vegan... I know she doesn't eat any meat but I need to clarify if she's vegan. I have nothing planned other than fresh fruits and veggies, hummus and pitas. I love the idea of muffins.

lurk.gif

#3 ·
Alright, here's what I've come up with. I have very fast labors and wasn't planning on calling my MW until well into active labor, so I'm only planning for snacks.

I'm having a loaf of home-made banana bread, an avocado feta dip with lots whole wheat pitas, tomato and basil bruchetta, lots of fresh fruits and veggies for snacking, granola & almond milk... and I'm thinking a veggie chili or something to have on the stove.

#4 ·
All the midwives across the country are going to be talking about the yummy chili season of February 2012!

As a birth attendant, I so have appreciated big platters of sliced fruits and veggies. I really liked eating lentil soup after an awesome friend's birth. And, one friend's MIL made us yummy pancakes after her namesake was born; she also iced a cake with my daughter and her grandaughter during the labor!

I am thinking about a potato soup for lunch or dinner time. For breakfast, hubby will make a huge pot of oatmeal or grits as he does almost every morning this winter (if he is allowed out of my sight, that is). We'll have the choco. chip banana bread either baking or defrosting. I've set hot tea and single serving coffee packs out in a lil basket on the counter and there's always fresh fruit. Having something to thaw (the chili or soup) sounds like such a great idea.

I mentioned in a post partum thread about how we have a basket of snacks in our bedroom closet for my older kids to access. Since it's set up now, I am thinking the birth team could help themselves to snack bars.

#5 ·
now I feel terrible, I hadn't even thought of this! I have some easily digestible food for me during labor - miso soup, yogurt, fruit....but didn't really think about the midwives.

If you make stuff ahead of time (chili or bread), do you just leave a note letting them know where to find the food or what there is to eat...or just let them figure it out? Sorry if this is a silly question, its my first homebirth and I don't know if I will be present enough to be directing them to food during the labor.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskatiekuj View Post

now I feel terrible, I hadn't even thought of this! I have some easily digestible food for me during labor - miso soup, yogurt, fruit....but didn't really think about the midwives.

If you make stuff ahead of time (chili or bread), do you just leave a note letting them know where to find the food or what there is to eat...or just let them figure it out? Sorry if this is a silly question, its my first homebirth and I don't know if I will be present enough to be directing them to food during the labor.
when you first call your midwives to come over, you or your partner can tell them then. or, perhaps tell them now to help themselves to food in the freezer and where the pots/pans are? i find the homevisit a good time to walk them through the kitchen.

#7 ·
Quote:

Don't feel bad, I hadn't thought about it this entire pregnancy until around 30 weeks when my midwife gave me the homebirth supplies list and kit. On the list it suggested healthy snacks for midwives, attendants and friends/family at the birth. Then I started panicking thinking OMG what am I going to feed everyone!

I figure DH will be in charge of putting stuff out if I can't. I tend to birth very hands off and he knows his role is dealing with our boys and catching basically. I figure that when I am sure I'm in labor I'll put the pot on the stove. I'm going to try to make it in the next few days. Banana bread will be baked ahead of time. Everything else I'll just have cut up and ready to throw on a veggie tray. I figure it will give me something to do in between contractions in early labor.

#8 ·
I have a basket of snacks I throw things into now and again - energy bars, trail mix, healthy couscous/noodle in cup options...fruit closer to the due date. Then i have soup and breads - savory and sweet - in the freezer. I just hope I remember to take them out! I want to bake a cake in early labor. I am hoping they won't be needing more than one meal !!!

#9 ·
ACK!!! I'm so glad I saw this thread, because I, too, am a first-time homebirther and hadn't even thought of this! The ideas so far are awesome! I'll definitely be baking some banana and maybe some zucchini breads, veggies and homemade dip, prepared fruits... my husband is great in the kitchen, luckily, and my mom will be there, so I'm sure we'll have plenty of food to go around.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

I am thinking about a potato soup for lunch or dinner time. For breakfast, hubby will make a huge pot of oatmeal or grits as he does almost every morning this winter (if he is allowed out of my sight, that is). We'll have the choco. chip banana bread either baking or defrosting. I've set hot tea and single serving coffee packs out in a lil basket on the counter and there's always fresh fruit. Having something to thaw (the chili or soup) sounds like such a great idea.

I mentioned in a post partum thread about how we have a basket of snacks in our bedroom closet for my older kids to access. Since it's set up now, I am thinking the birth team could help themselves to snack bars.
Potato soup sounds really good! That might be my backup if they're here for more than one lunch. A good veg option, too! I know oatmeal can be done in the slow cooker (I have a recipe if anyone wants it), so it's ready over night. I think I will be putting my chili in the slow cooker, so I could borrow one for some oatmeal as well, I guess. That would be a nice hot addition to the menu (and another veg option!).

My chili is mostly canned ingredients, so I have set them all together in a grocery bag like a little chili kit. The things I put in that are fresh will be diced and frozen and I'll have DH just throw everything into the crock pot when the time is right, so it's ready and sitting out whenever they are hungry. If timing is OK, we may also make some corn muffins to go along with the chili. I picked up some mixes a month ago on sale. I'd really like to have those available as well, but I'm trying to stay relaxed and keep my expectations low for both myself and DH. We'll be the only ones here besides my midwife and assistant.

I love the idea of having tea and coffee out on the counter. I may have to get out my little hotel sized coffee pot to make sure hot water is always available for them. I have some hotel coffee I can put out as well.

I also plan to have a basket of snacks available in my bedroom for nursing after the birth. They'll be free to help themselves to that as well. I'm thinking peanut butter crackers, fruit and luna bars. Those are the only ideas I have for that basket so far.

Quote:

I plan on letting them know when they arrive. Some of this I will have out already when the home visit happens, but the food its self will be available to them on the day of. I don't think they'll miss the smell of chili cooking through the house. I assume they will ask about food if they get hungry and it's not obvious what is available.

#11 ·
I'm working on my food tonight! I have pizza dough going in the bread machine. I plan to split it into four crusts and pre-bake them and get them in the freezer tonight.

I also have a double recipe of chili on the stove, one for the birth, one for sometime after when I need an easy dinner. It'll just have to be pulled out of the freezer and put in the slow cooker with a pre-measured bag of macaroni (we like noodles in our chili, but I didn't think they'd freeze well).

I measured out my oatmeal for the slow cooker oatmeal and put it in a bag with salt in it already, and wrote instructions on the front.

I got out my muffin mixes and cornbread mix and made sure DH was OK with the cooking level of those (I want him to be comfortable with making each meal since I don't know which ones I wont be available to cook).

I put together a little hospitality basket of sorts with things from the pantry. I plan to put out my mini-coffee maker, so they can have hot water without having to watch a pot or kettle on the stove. Here's what's in the basket:
Instant oatmeal packets (each only requires 1/2c hot water)

Instant decaf coffee

Instant espresso

Green tea bags

Black tea bags

Hot cocoa packets

Hot cider packets

Two cans of vegetable soup

Banana chips

Peanuts

Raisins

Hotel coffee (regular and decaf-sized right for my mini coffee maker)

White sugar

Splenda

Demerara (that super natural sugar)

Two kinds of Stevia

I'd like to add a few protein bars or Luna bars to it, but I'm pretty happy with that and a bowl of fresh fruit and a veggie tray in the fridge.

I'm feeling really good about getting everything done before I hit 36 weeks!

#12 ·
Hmm, DH is in charge of food since I just learned how to cook for necessity and he's the one who's good at it (amazing actually) and enjoys it. He was thinking about a spicy pasta dish but in case I puke, that's the last thing I want to have come back up. I would want more protein anyways. Maybe enchiladas or tacos...

#13 ·
Today, I made vegan chili and thai coconut milk soup which made it into the freezer! Yay. My MW and her assistant came for the homevisit so i showed them where everything is so they can help themselves. Thanks, again for all the inspiration, fellow mamas!

TMI WARNING:

kaydove- i puked enchiladas with my first labor & had a total aversion to them for months and months after. i am hoping to have eaten something more like cereal with rice milk or granola with coconut milk yogurt and fruit. something a lot less spicy and a lot more smooth.

#14 ·
Fruit is a great idea! I do find that it tastes the same refluxing it back up so I would imagine it would be similar to puke up. Never thought I would be considering how something would taste coming back up, lol.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

Hmm, DH is in charge of food since I just learned how to cook for necessity and he's the one who's good at it (amazing actually) and enjoys it. He was thinking about a spicy pasta dish but in case I puke, that's the last thing I want to have come back up. I would want more protein anyways. Maybe enchiladas or tacos...
How nice that your DH is the cook! Mine can function with detailed directions, which is enough for us, but to not even have to worry about it? Nice. Spice pasta sounds like it would be a nightmare to throw up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanielspeak View Post

My mom will probably be over right away, so I will instruct her on making the corn bread and Irish soda bread for dessert (both easy recipes) when the time comes. I will have fresh fruit (oranges, apples, bananas) in several bowls in both the dining room and my bedroom. My bedroom will also have a snack jar with granola bars, tanka bars, nuts, seeds, honey stix, and dried fruit. I also have a mini fridge and microwave in my bedroom (which is the freakin' best thing EVER). It started out as just a microwave for my heatable rice sacks, but my husband asked if I wanted the mini-frige from the basement to keep my yogurt in for snacks before bed. It has a little freezer in it too, so I can keep electrolyte popcicles, italian ice, and a couple cold packs in there. The fridge will have yogurt, string cheese, laborade, and whatever else I can think of. Since I won't be leaving my bedroom/nursery/master bath for a couple days, I want to be well stocked up.

For the crew we will have chili and fixings, cornbread, fruit, assorted packaged snacks, assorted veggies and dip, soda bread, and lots of hot tea and cocoa. We have a hot/cold water cooler for instant hot beverages, so that will be perfect. I will also have iced tea and a pitcher of lemon/lime water in the kitchen fridge.

Depending on how long the labor spans, I will just have all the ingredients for my mom to make a couple quiches if we need another quick meal; refrigerated pie crusts, eggs, milk, cream, onions, spinach, etc.

I am almost 38 weeks, so I need to clean the fridge and reorganize the pantry so people can actually find stuff!
Sounds like a good food plan! How nice to have your mom around to help out! It will just be DH and the birthing crew and me. I know we'll do great, but I have to say I'm a little jealous of you guys who will have cooks around! :)

Meanwhile, I cut a bunch of vegetables (2 quarts worth) and put them in the freezer to add to the slow cooker chili. Between those and garlicky pizza crust my freezer smells awesome! I can't wait to give birth so I can eat it all!!

#16 ·
My mw is also vegan. I already made a huge pot of Minestrone that was delicious! I put half in the freezer and plan to just pop it in the crockpot when labor starts. Some crusty bread and we are all fed.

We'll also have fruits and other little goodies.

Love the hummus and pita idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.