mucous plug question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't remember distinctly losing my mucous plug with my first, and I know for some women it's all at once and others it's gradual.  In addition to awesomely large amounts of discharge throughout my pregnancy, I've just started having some small globs of thicker mucous appear.  It's similarly globby to what I might expect if I had a yeast infection, but I don't (no odor, no itching, etc...).  I'd love to know what your 'plug experience' is... :-) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM

I'm glad you posted this! This week I had two mornings where I had some serious goopyness when I first visited the bathroom. I've just been paying close attention since then, but was curious if that could have been it.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Usually the "mucus plus" is a few TBS worth of thick mucus tinged with pink, red, or brown (blood). But remember, the plug can regenerate itself, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything. But a lot of women swear they go into labor within a week of losing a blood tinged mucus plug.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 PM

with my first, it came right before the bloody show and that was wayyyyyyyyy into labor.  i was almost done by then. 

never saw it with my second.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM

Lost mine on....what was it, Sunday?  And fortunately, no labor yet, I *really* want to wait until my mom arrives next week.  Mine was very very thick and cohesive, and like Jaysmylilpumpkin said, a few tbs worth.  Last time I didn't see it until I was in active labor.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your experiences.  I'm guessing it was just normal discharge, as it wasn't super super thick.  I'm definitely not thinking of it as an indication of labor (I'm almost a whole month away from my EDD, and went almost 42 weeks w/ my 1st), but I love seeing all the ways my body is preparing itself for the big event.    Fun, fun!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Mine is gone, as confirmed by my OB on Wednesday. I never saw it come out, just several wipes with more mucous than normal. Not blood tinged at all though. Last time, I never saw it either. My water broke first in labor and it could have come out then.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had bloody show with my first and for me, labor did start very shortly after that.  I remember as soon as I saw the blood I read about it and found that most women begin labor with 48 hours of bloody show.

I've had tons of cervical mucus with this pregnancy and so I can't really tell if I've lost mine or not, I'm assuming it's probably just cervical mucus at this point.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM

I have a ton of cervical mucous as well and it has increased in the last few days but I don't think I've lost my plug yet.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 PM

I've had an increase of cervical mucus as well.  I wouldn't say a plug though, just more than usual.  

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 AM

I had an increase in cervical mucus about 4 weeks ago.  I did end up losing my plug this week in globs (twice).  This is my first time and 5th baby.  I have been having start and stop labor since Tuesday middle of the night.  The contractions just started up again about an hour ago and woke me up.  Looks like baby didn't want to be a february baby (due date 2/28).  Unfortunately, I am too early for a HB with my midwife and will head to the hospital when things really pick up.

Jen

Jen
Homeschooling mom to A 16, P 15, S 10, L 8 and S 2.

User Tag List