Tips for boosting iron levels before birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found out just after Thanksgiving that I was anemic, my hemoglobin was 9.4. Just above the Birth Center cut off of 9.0. So for six weeks I drank tons of nettle tea as well as taking a prenatal with iron and taking floradix. A few weeks ago I was tested again with no change at all! After 6 weeks I was still 9.4!!

Now I am worried as I only have about 4 weeks left before my due date. Currently I am taking: a regular prenatal, an iron pill, floradix 2x a day and Yellow dock 2x a day plus drinking nettle tea at least once a day and cooking with cast iron as much as I can. i also have been taking vitamin c to help absorb iron. i am avoiding iron and calcium together because i am aware of the binding, and have cut out all caffeine that I am aware of.

I don't know what else to do.

I had a very hard early pregnancy with severe Hyperemesis and lost of ton of weight and was hospitalized twice for dehydration. Finally could start eating fairly normally again at 24 weeks pregnant. So I think that put me in a bad starting off place and depleated my body's stores of any vitamins and iron.

Plus I am am ovo-lacto vegetarian and eating meat of any kind is out of the question  but I would think with all the stuff I am taking now that I should be enough to give me higher stores of iron. My midwives would like me to be over 10 at least before the birth. 12-16 is normal for women so I am way below.

I am worried about the risks of going into labor anemic. My midwives have been telling me that even with normal blood loss after the birth that anemic mamas have a really hard time. I am worried about the possibility of loosing more than the normal amount.

Does anyone have experience birthing with anemia? Is it really something I should be worried about?

Does anyone have any other suggestions to boosting iron ( although I feel like I am taking them all already..lol)?

I will get my iron levels checked again next week. Please wish me luck. Send me higher hemoglobin vibes.

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#2 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 AM

So sorry to hear about all your troubles with low iron. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. And since it is more than what you were doing, previously, hopefully, it will be enough. I tested anemic just after Thanksgiving, but not quite as low. I was right around 10, and last week tested around 10.5, I think. I am still supplementing (alternating iron pills and Floradix).

I think I was just borderline of being anemic with my last birth, and I do remember being quite taken back after birth. But who isn't? :)

I had to take my time before standing those first hours. I did bleed a little more than usual, but not sure of the exact causation.

The only other thing I can think of is you adding some molasses to your diet. But it sounds like you are doing everything possible.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#3 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 AM

I tested anemic as well at 26 weeks, not sure my number but my midwife said that it was quite low. I haven't had it retested but I'm feeling better with iron pills an nettle tea.
You're doing everything I would suggest, so kudos to you there. Are you eating a lot of dark leafy greens like spinach? I know those have more iron than meat. Maybe do a quick google search for veggies with lots of iron. Good luck!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 AM

From what I've read 9-11 is normal for pregnant women due to diluted blood from our blood volume expanding. Eat kale, spaghetti sauce cooked in a cast iron skillet, avoid dairy/calcium when you take iron supplements. 

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#5 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM

nettle tea, which you're already doing!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Another thing I remember my midwife saying was that when you're pregnant, taking iron works differently than taking iron when you're not pregnant. When you're not pregnant, it takes at least 3 months to build your stores back up, but when you take iron supplements when you're pregnant, you're body uses that supplement for yourself and baby depletes your stores. So it may take quite some to build your stores back up and you may not be able to do it while your pregnant, but your body will use any supplementation and extra iron from food each day for your own energy. I definitely notice a difference if I wait until the afternoon to take my iron supplement. Hope that helps!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#7 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I really need to eat more greens as well.  I have a good recipe for kale and kidney bean soup I totally need to make a huge batch of that. I noticed that whenever I was eating iron I was also eating calcium. Like beans with cheese and that sort of thing. Trying to avoid that whole calcium iron binding thing. I wasn't even aware of that until this pregnancy! I didn't have anemia with my other kids and was a vegetarian then too. I am not blaming the anemia on my vegetarian diet though I think it is more of a repercussion of the Hyperemesis.

Hoping for a bit of improvement before birth day.

I am not due until the 19th but have been having a ton of contractions lately and the baby is much lower with lots of pelvic pressure(ouch) and cramps. stay baby stay....come late like your brother.

I am probably the only mama hoping for a late baby!:)

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

#8 of 15 Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM

my iron was solid in my last pregnancy when i was vegan.  I was transitioning to being vegetarian with my first pregnancy and had great iron levels whenever they were tested.  I like to test mine b/c i am essentially vegan but do eat my neighbor's chicken's eggs now.

i dipped down to 9.9 at one point so i supplemented with Floradix 2x daily and it bounced up to 13.4 in two weeks.  we use cast iron almost exclusively, too. 

You are doing all the right things for sure.  You sound very well-informed and like you are taking responsibility to change this.  I hope with you that it works asap!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#9 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Gunter- Wow that is great you had such a recovery in just two weeks! I have read that it can take months to get levels back up which is so discouraging especially after having no improvement  with floradix after 6 weeks. I really am hoping for higher levels before birth. I feel like I am doing everything that I possibly can besides eating oysters and liver. I have been cooking in cast iron as much as possible lately too.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I feel there is still hope now to get it up before birth day.

I have to wait until Thursday to get my full blood work results back but I am seeing a nutritionist today who will check my iron immediately. Fingers crossed, even a little improvement at this point would give a me peace of mind.

#10 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM

I've been anemic this whole time, too. I'm back up to 11.1 FINALLY!!!

Look up Floradix. It's awesome! Very pricy, but very effective.

Also, cook spinach in a cast iron skillet. I hate the taste but it is extremely iron rich.

Good luck!

#11 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am still waiting for official blood work to get back from my midwife appointment yesterday, but I saw a nutritionist today who did a thumb poke to check my iron and it was 12.4!!!!

I can't tell you how relieved I am. It is up 3 solid points from two weeks ago.! I almost don't believe it and I am hoping the blood results that my midwives sent to the hospital will show that same good news. I am still wondering why it didn't change in the first 6 weeks I was aware of anemia and taking Foradix and an iron prenatal? I did read that it takes a while for your blood to stabilize after the huge blood volume increase and maybe it read lower than it really was?

I don't know I guess the Floradix, yellow dock,nettle tea,iron pill, prenatal vitamin combo did the trick. Now I don't have to be so worried and hope my baby is late.

I still have a few week left till I am due. Time to clean out all the cabinets in my home, then baby can come :)

and now i can stop reading all the scary things about giving birth while anemic....

#12 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 PM

sooooooooo happy for you, HumbleLuna.  I think the blood expansion time can really affect our iron levels.  way to go, mama!  hoping it stays strong- it probably will at this point.  wooo hooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleLuna View Post

I am still waiting for official blood work to get back from my midwife appointment yesterday, but I saw a nutritionist today who did a thumb poke to check my iron and it was 12.4!!!!

I can't tell you how relieved I am. It is up 3 solid points from two weeks ago.! I almost don't believe it and I am hoping the blood results that my midwives sent to the hospital will show that same good news. I am still wondering why it didn't change in the first 6 weeks I was aware of anemia and taking Foradix and an iron prenatal? I did read that it takes a while for your blood to stabilize after the huge blood volume increase and maybe it read lower than it really was?

I don't know I guess the Floradix, yellow dock,nettle tea,iron pill, prenatal vitamin combo did the trick. Now I don't have to be so worried and hope my baby is late.

I still have a few week left till I am due. Time to clean out all the cabinets in my home, then baby can come :)

and now i can stop reading all the scary things about giving birth while anemic....

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#13 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 AM

I normally try to find remedies that are more natural, but I ended up getting iron infusions at a blood center earlier in this pregnancy.

I have always bordered on anemic my whole life despite being very proactive with foods, supplements, etc... and during this pregnancy, my iron TANKED.

My numbers were literally halving every 2 weeks! I tried eating TONS of greens, taking Floradix, cooking everything in cast iron, nettle tea, taking black-strap molasses, plus oral iron supplements and my numbers continued to plummet. So, my OB eventually recommended doing iron infusions. I did them through a hemotologist at a local cancer & blood center. You go in, they pre-treat you with benadryl, then hook you up to IV iron for 4 hours. I just relaxed in a comfy reclining chair, watched TV and read. They served lunch, drinks and snacks. I think I ended up sleeping through about half of it. I did 2 sessions and my iron is great now! I am really glad I decided to go ahead and try the infusions! HTH :)

-Ruby

#14 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM

Herbal teas are a great way to boost any needed minerals, as they are easily assimilated - much more than a supplement! I'm sure Nettle has a lot since it has so much of everything! I've been downing the RRL and also try to drink nettle, oatstraw (I alwasys need mag and calc!), and spearmint.

I've never been difecient, but always cook in cast iron, which helps (I also love raw spinach and eat lots of grass fed red meat!)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#15 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got a call from my midwife and she said that the hospital lab results came back and that my hemoglobin is  10.6, not 12.4. So it is up from 9.4, but not quite as much as the thumb prick at the nutritionists office showed. At least I know that all the stuff I have been taking is actually working and 10 was my goal so I am still happy, and I still have  time to get it up even higher before baby comes I would imagine since it went up 1.2 points in two weeks and I have 3.5 weeks left until baby is due.

Man I am only 30 but this pregnancy compared to my first when I was 20 has really wiped me out this time around. This will help me in the future I think in case I ever think I want another baby, all I have to do is remember how hard it was this time with Hyperemesis in the first 24 weeks and totally wipe you out anemia for the last few months. But it is funny how soon you forget the troubles once you hold a sweet new baby in your arms :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page