Early Labor Signs.... or a MeanTrick! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 271 Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alright, ladies. This is the place to post when you think you are starting to experience labor. And don't worry, we won't hold anyone to anything... so, if things peter out, no big deal. :)

Here's to happy labor vibes... goodvibes.gifgoodvibes.gifgoodvibes.gif

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#2 of 271 Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM

I had 12 hours straight of back-to-back low grade contractions a couple days ago.  Couldn't walk or talk through them.  And I've been leaking a little fluid for 3 weeks now!  I knew it wasn't the real deal... but rest assured, the real deal is coming for all of us... sooner or later!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 271 Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM

I was going to start a post like this earlier today! I had about 6 hours of pretty intense contractions from 4-10 minutes apart. I knew they weren't long enough to be the "real" thing but really hoped something was gearing up... But then I took a shower and slept for about 20 minutes and the contractions (for the most part) went away. I'm still sore and achy "Down there" though.

A close friend of our family died tonight and my mom wants to go to the funeral, but it's in Phoenix, she is in Houston and I am in Atlanta... She planned on being here for this baby to be born, but I told her to go to the funeral and I would be ok with or without her... and maybe the baby will stay put. The death is SOOO sad. I hear babies "sense danger" though so maybe with the emotions of everything she will stay put a while... Sigh... I really wanted an early baby! (my last baby was 10lbs 3 oz, I wanted a REGULAR size baby heehee)

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 271 Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post
A close friend of our family died tonight and my mom wants to go to the funeral, but it's in Phoenix, she is in Houston and I am in Atlanta... She planned on being here for this baby to be born, but I told her to go to the funeral and I would be ok with or without her... and maybe the baby will stay put. The death is SOOO sad. I hear babies "sense danger" though so maybe with the emotions of everything she will stay put a while... Sigh... I really wanted an early baby! (my last baby was 10lbs 3 oz, I wanted a REGULAR size baby heehee)

so sorry about this.  my dear friend since high school is dying of cancer right now.  he has days to weeks left at this point and it's breaking my heart.  our families have been friends as we've had children.  so hard.  much love to you in this time.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#5 of 271 Old 01-26-2012, 04:03 PM

We had a "false alarm" last night, had very painful contractions 2-3 minutes apart for 4 hours, decided it was time to head to the hospital since it's 2.5 hours away, only VBAC friendly one I could find, and by the time we got there my contractions were gone...guilty.gif My DH was not happy about having to drive all the way back and then go to work with no sleep, I felt so bad. Good news is I am 3cm, 70%, and baby is dropped down to -1, so we are getting there, just not yet.  Come on baby, don't tease us like that!

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#6 of 271 Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

so sorry about this.  my dear friend since high school is dying of cancer right now.  he has days to weeks left at this point and it's breaking my heart.  our families have been friends as we've had children.  so hard.  much love to you in this time.

hug.gif

My grandmother was dying of a stage 4 GBM tumor when I was pregnant with DD. She passed just after she was born. I know it's a really hard thing to go through someone you love dying while someone you love is coming into the world.

All day I have had menstural like cramps. I had my bloody show this morning, after having my membranes stripped yesterday. I'm going to time these pains (they feel like gas pains..and Im having lots of gas, so we'll see) and see if to see if anything is regular. My lower back has hurt all day long.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM

I had this all day with DD... then my water broke.

In fact I'm quite worried I'm not going to know when I'm in labor again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

All day I have had menstural like cramps. I had my bloody show this morning, after having my membranes stripped yesterday. I'm going to time these pains (they feel like gas pains..and Im having lots of gas, so we'll see) and see if to see if anything is regular. My lower back has hurt all day long.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#8 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maternalove View Post

I had this all day with DD... then my water broke.

In fact I'm quite worried I'm not going to know when I'm in labor again.

Me too. :/

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#9 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Anyone having DEEP lower back pain/contraction things?

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 PM

I have been having deep low front contractions off and on since Wednesday.

Jen

Homeschooling mom to A 14, P 12, S 7, L 5 and new baby S.

#11 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM

I just had a whole series of those... took me to my knees and made my husband raise his eyebrows for sure.  I think I'm going to go lay down for awhile...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#12 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't, but just want to say good luck to you ladies in case they pan out to be something. goodvibes.gif

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#13 of 271 Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannybutterfly View Post

We had a "false alarm" last night, had very painful contractions 2-3 minutes apart for 4 hours, decided it was time to head to the hospital since it's 2.5 hours away, only VBAC friendly one I could find, and by the time we got there my contractions were gone...guilty.gif My DH was not happy about having to drive all the way back and then go to work with no sleep, I felt so bad. Good news is I am 3cm, 70%, and baby is dropped down to -1, so we are getting there, just not yet.  Come on baby, don't tease us like that!

How exciting!  But, I can see how that is hard to drive 5 hours.  Can you have any other birth worker that you know or an experienced doula come over and check in with you before you all pack up and drive, again?  Wonder if she would be able to help determine where you are in labor before heading back in, again?  Do you have a friend or know anyone you could stay the day or night with if you want to be in the same area as the hospital?  You are soooooooooooo committed to this VBAC, mama!  I see your hard work in making it happen!  Don't get too discouraged; what you are doing is so worth it.  Not that it's magic or anything but maybe doing some nipple stimulation in the car to keep contractions going next time?  They can still stop but just trying to think of ideas so you all don't have to drive as far, again.  Much love to you, nannybutterfly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

hug.gif
My grandmother was dying of a stage 4 GBM tumor when I was pregnant with DD. She passed just after she was born. I know it's a really hard thing to go through someone you love dying while someone you love is coming into the world.

Thanks for the love...especially while you were in LABORLAND! 

#14 of 271 Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

I just had a whole series of those... took me to my knees and made my husband raise his eyebrows for sure.  I think I'm going to go lay down for awhile...

Glad your husband is there, and it's not just you and the goats  smile.gif

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#15 of 271 Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 AM

5 hours of very intense braxton hicks last night. It was going on for so long, I was starting to think...hummmmm, maybe this isn't braxton hicks. But after 5 hours (around 3am) it all ended. I'm only 36 weeks, so I can seriously wait a little bit longer. My last one was born at 38 weeks.

At any rate, I took EPO (orally) and I think it was directly related. Not a normal experience, to be sure. But then again, that's part of the trick with herbs. They are different for every woman, as I tell my clients all the time. So I'm going to back off of that for a little bit. Or maybe just take orally ever other or every few days. We'll see how tonight goes.

Can't believe this is all comign up so soon.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#16 of 271 Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM

I have had so many "is this it?" moments that I'll probably take up this whole thread by the time I ACTUALLY have this kid. But today I had my first real, omg, wow this hurts contraction. I've had braxton hicks EVERY SINGLE DAY since mid January. My EDD is in 4 days, and DH's vacation starts in 3. He had to schedule it and we thought for sure I was going to be early/on time with all of this practice labor. I told him if I have to hang out with him still pregnant... I am NOT going to be happy. redface.gif

Today though, woke up feeling very crampy. Mucus plug was lost on Wednesday of last week. I had a few contractions, and low, dull back ache this morning. Went about my day and nothing was steady. A few big contractions (but again, nothing steady) this afternoon. I took the kids to the beach to fly their kite and ride bikes, took a long walk and went to the store. At the store I was having contractions the whole way through and thinking GET OUT OF MY WAY PEOPLE!!! Usually they're just my uterus tightening. Now I'm home, sitting on the birth ball... having them here and there. Not timing them because I don't want to get excited. But my back is hurting like it did with DS2's labor, so I hope this is it. 

goodvibes.gif

This needs to end soon, because I'm starting to feel like a turtle stuck on my back. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#17 of 271 Old 01-28-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mamanoish, I hope you don't take up this whole thread, and things become more promising for you!!! :)

and jul511riv, stay in there a little longer, baby.

#18 of 271 Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 AM

Considering I didn't have any BH contractions with DD and all my "real" contraction felt like gas and after my water broke it was a very out of body experience.... HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON? 

Every time I stand up I get really tight and it kind of hurts down where my scar is this last for 30-45 seconds. This is just a BH right?

How do you know when it's REAL?!

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#19 of 271 Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Maternalove, I have no idea. Other than things I have heard and read. Like, they won't go away when you are laying down or taking a shower/bath, and so forth.

With my son, the first thing that happened was my water broke. Then contractions started somewhere around 4-6 hours later. I never had BH that pregnancy, but since my water had broken before contractions started, I knew it was the real thing. Plus, they pretty much were textbook in getting closer and closer (though slowly).

This time, sometimes I can't figure out if I am having BH or the baby is stretching. And nothing has been consistent and regular. I'm hoping I will know what is up, too.......

#20 of 271 Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Well, for me, with my first I had tons of BHs. Some were painful too! The morning he was born, though I knew it, the first contraction (and all those that followed) was NOT BH! It was incredibly different, way more intense, and, I hate to say it, PAINFUL!!! I took a bath and they didn't stop and I started losing my plug. For most women, you just know!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#21 of 271 Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Considering I didn't have any BH contractions with DD and all my "real" contraction felt like gas and after my water broke it was a very out of body experience.... HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON? 

Every time I stand up I get really tight and it kind of hurts down where my scar is this last for 30-45 seconds. This is just a BH right?

How do you know when it's REAL?!

Among my birth protector friends, we like to say you will know it's more than BH when they are longer, stronger and closer together.  Plus, the contractions radiate up from the bottom of the uterus to the top and take over your whole abdomen.  They are not just lower.  They do not go away with baths, lying down, hydrating, etc.  They keep getting longer, stronger and closer together instead.

Is that helpful?  Is that what others have found to be true?

jul511riv likes this.

#22 of 271 Old 01-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Well I'll let you know after this boy decides to make an appearance. I just spent the entire day detailing my car, scrubbing my kitchen floor ( on my hands and knees, detailing my bathroom, and having a long drag out fight with a trash can I want to use as a daiper pail that had to be completely disinfected with bleach to get the food smell out so I could put dirty diapers in it...? I have no idea what's what with this, every little thing I've been putting off becuase I've been exhausted some how managed to get accomplished today after only 5 house of sleep. I've been up since 5:30 am and it's 10:30 now and I'm SERIOUSLY considering taking a scrub brush and an iron to fluff my matted carpet....

I'm not usually ocd like this so maybe something is in the works?

#23 of 271 Old 01-30-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Well I'll let you know after this boy decides to make an appearance. I just spent the entire day detailing my car, scrubbing my kitchen floor ( on my hands and knees, detailing my bathroom, and having a long drag out fight with a trash can I want to use as a daiper pail that had to be completely disinfected with bleach to get the food smell out so I could put dirty diapers in it...? I have no idea what's what with this, every little thing I've been putting off becuase I've been exhausted some how managed to get accomplished today after only 5 house of sleep. I've been up since 5:30 am and it's 10:30 now and I'm SERIOUSLY considering taking a scrub brush and an iron to fluff my matted carpet....

I'm not usually ocd like this so maybe something is in the works?

I've been nothing but exhausted all the time, so hoping that I too get a energy surge like this! Holy cow! Way to nest!

I too have a old trash can that's sitting in the bathtub waiting to be disinfected with bleach so I can use it as a cloth diaper pail. Thank goodness my shower is separate, because its been in there for days.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#24 of 271 Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 AM

Heh, I've never been like that...but I have had quite a burst of energy in recent weeks, enough to freeze 16 meals (plus some cookie doughs and desserts, etc...), clean all the baby clothes, get together my birth herb/homeopathic bag, and basically do all those things that need done. Unfortunately, those things all took a LOT of time, like almost a month to do, so I'm pretty sure it's not any indication of anything. lol.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#25 of 271 Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Can anyone else feel themselves dilate? I swear I can. I really want to check but I don't want to be disappointed. This baby HAS to come by Friday ( which is my birthday lol) Or he has to wait till Monday night. I have a funeral to go to at Arlington Cemetery which is like a good 1:45-2 hour drive, one way with traffic. 

Gosh I feel so bad demanding so much of such a little person. I'm only 37 weeks but with my history of preterm, this is an accomplishment. It's kind of crazy to think I'm not going to have a preemie this time. *\o/* Go little man!

Anyone else thinking it's going to be very soon?

#26 of 271 Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM

Totally.  I can feel my cervix dilating.  My energy surge started yesterday, it's continuing today... and then I'm hoping for a week or so of calm relaxation before baby comes.  But we'll see about it!

#27 of 271 Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Rin

Last night I was having really mild surges about an hour apart. I freaked out on DH because his bag isnt packed, he wasn't rubbing my back "the right way", and he fixed me the wrong thing to eat. Poor guy. I got so upset in fact that I decided I was going to go to the hospital and have them induce me (crazy hormones!), and my husband couldn't talk me down. It scared him so bad that he called the midwives. I ended up going for a drive to clear my head and by the time I came home everything had petered out. My midiwfe called to check on me this morning and told me that she was really surprised nothing more happened last night and that she thinks (I hope shes right) that it'll happen soon.

I absolutely did not experience anything like that with DS.

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#28 of 271 Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM

aww Hang in there Rin. Damn hormones....

#29 of 271 Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Rin, you just passed your due date, right? I, too, hope things kick into action for you real soon, mama.

And maybe that was just your practice, panic round. Now, everything will go much more smoothly once things really do start to happen. :)

#30 of 271 Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM

3 days past "due date" for me. I am having some spotting today and lower back pain. Definitely not "in" labor but hopefully within the next 24 hours. ?? I didn't have any spotting or bloody show with my boys until I was almost fully dilated so this is new for me. Just shows you, every birth is different!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page