Food even my husband can make... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shalom! I live in a country with no affordable convienence food. I'm trying to compile a list of foods dh can make for the kids when he is home (post baby, after work).

Example:

Baby Greens with apple cidar vinegar and olive oil, feta cheese, apples and walnuts as a big salad with a slice of whole wheat bread (I usually make my own, but we can buy this as a pita or something).

Scrambled eggs and cheese

Must be vegetarian. Can have dairy and eggs.

Any suggestions?

Caveat: even the tomato sause must be made by hand...so pasta with sauce and cheese, for example is a bit more complicated than it should be.

THANKS!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#2 of 18 Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 PM

having lived abroad with a lack of such foods, i can relate.  we've also never had an oven when we live in bali so every meal has to be cooked on the two burners that is our stove...or it's raw.  we eat a lot of raw when there.

if you chop up enough fresh tomatoes and add basil though, it can become spaghetti sauce rather quickly. 

i would say lots of stir fry.  tempe and tofu just fried with veggies that you all like with a side of rice.  you can season with whatever you like.  one of our fave sauces is mustard, soy sauce, honey and sesame seeds.  mustard was hard to come by in bali, though so i understand if this won't work for you all. 

french toast and friend potatoes if you all like 'breakfast for dinner' ever. 

since you can eat eggs, a quiche or a frittata is pretty easy to make.  if he can make scrambled eggs, maybe throwing a tortilla around them and adding toppings that you all like would work.  not sure if tortillas are hard to make or to buy there though.  but, you could add lettuce, tomatoes, olives, potatoes, etc to it. 

rice and beans with some chopped tomatoes/peppers/onions added if there are no burritos. 

hoping it works out well for you all!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#3 of 18 Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Do you have a freezer? You could always try to make some things ahead of time. I have lots of things in my freezer for after the birth. Is that an option?

I'll be thinking on this! What kinds of things are in season there now?

#4 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

THANKS LADIES!

Freezer is full. I will have my 4 homeschooled kids (oldest is almost 7) home full-time with me and my husband will be back to work during the day. No people who can come in and cook meals. No money even if there was a such thing. No such thing as delivery food. All the meals that I've frozen are basically for me and the kids for lunches for about a week and a half when dh is at work. So he'll need to be doing dinner (espcially in the second and third weeks while I"m really needing to recover.) I've also collected 7 friends who have agreed to make a meal for the second week and we will get 1 meal a day for the first week (beginning with the day or the day after the birth...since it will be a homebirth). No family around. Basically it's all on us. Food is my main concern. Washed dishes is the next one (though I've taught the kids how to wash their bowls (non breakable) and silverware so that they can eat and worst case senerio, I could eat out of a baby plastic bowl if I can't get up. (Could'nt get up for a couple of weeks post birth last time around due to hemmoroids. :( ) Laundry is my next concern. I was folding it while laying down a few days after my last birth. Not going to repeat that again. Luckilly my oldest has been learning, though.

At any rate, it IS possible to get tortillas...they are imports from the USA. Not so great. But, they'll do in a pinch. Thanks. And since there isn't any masa here, my hubby would have to make them out of flour. Since tortillas are a very foreign food to him (he's Israeli), I don't think he would even know where to begin as far as making them. It would just make him feel overwhelmed. But buying might be worth the added expense! Rice, beans, cheese...YES! Beans would have to be soaked overnight and then cooked for many hours on the fire. I don't think he would have the patience for that but I might be able to make some and freeze, if I do it in plastic bags and stuff them into the crevices inside the freezer. We CAN get some canned, now. Again, expensive, but might be worth it. I'm goign to add all of this to the list. Also about the tomatos and basil...super smart, mama! Thank you. No tempe here...but there is one type of tofu (medium, I think) that we could use. Going to write this all down. THANK YOU!!!

#5 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 PM

You can make and freeze a vegetable stew or vegetable pot pie.     (no need to make a crust, just mix some biscuits from flour, baking soda, salt, butter and water  and place on top of the vegetable pot pie filling when baking.)

Mom to DD born 12/2007  and a babyf.gifon the way February 2012

#6 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent suggestion! Thank you. I'm out of freezer space, so this has got to be somethign he can "whip up" right quick after work. Do you have any recipes for the stew or bisquits (links?) that I can add to my list. Basically, he doesn't cook at all, so needs a recipe for everything. :)

#7 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 AM

You could pre-mix the dry ingredients for things like biscuits, pancakes, etc, then put the mix in a container with instructions written out and taped to the side.  Same goes for soup beans, rice pilaf etc.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#8 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Absolutely excellent suggestion! I was just gifted with some storage containers. If that stuff can keep in the fridge for a month or two (and it should) we should be good to go! ANyone want to hit me up with their easy recipes for this sort of thing? :)

THANKS! And I hope that maybe some other ladies will be able to benefit from this, as well. :)

#9 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post

Absolutely excellent suggestion! I was just gifted with some storage containers. If that stuff can keep in the fridge for a month or two (and it should) we should be good to go! ANyone want to hit me up with their easy recipes for this sort of thing? :)

THANKS! And I hope that maybe some other ladies will be able to benefit from this, as well. :)

I have just the thing! In 7th grade Home Economics we made this stuff called Master Mix and I JUST discovered the recipe online. You can make a bunch of this stuff up and then with the recipes that go with it you can turn it into all kinds of things (better than Bisquick!). It's like homemade convenience food! This would be super easy for your husband. If he can follow the recipes OK he could just add a couple things to it and you'd have lots of options!

Here's a link to the recipe and a huge list of things you can make with it, recipes also included!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/story/73/

#10 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

W00t! You really ARE a goddess, Kristie! thx!

#11 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

ug...no non refridgerated shortning! We can only use butter for shortening.

#12 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 AM

My favorite source of baking recipes:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeHome

Dunno if you can get oats there, but this is my favorite big-batch pancake recipe mix:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/homemade-whole-grain-pancake-mix-recipe

But I omit the oil and don't store it in my (already too-full) freezer.  Just add 1T oil when mixing with wet ingredients.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#13 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! <3

#14 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:

ug...no non refridgerated shortning! We can only use butter for shortening.

ETA: Duh, your vegetarian, I forgot-no lard. I would think that butter would work well. Of course, it would have to be refrigerated. Do you not have room to put it in the fridge?

#15 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I totally could...but when it specified non-refridgerated shortening, I figured there was some other reason? lol. Probably not. Hello. Pregnancy brain.

Thanks ladies. Keep em coming!

#16 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Can you get peanut butter?  One of my "last minute" meals is peanut noodles or peanut rice.  Peanut sauce is easy to make - I boil water and flour together until it's thick, then add peanut butter and salt.  If you access to them, you could substitute soy sauce for salt and add some red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.  I put this over noodles or rice with whatever veggies I have on hand - broccoli, carrots, peas, red pepper, onion, cabbage, etc.

Cheese sauce is just as easy to make, just substitute cheese for the peanut butter and milk for the water.  Heat milk and flour until thick, then add cheese and salt.  Put over noodles or rice with whatever veggies you have.

Fried rice is another last minute meal - rice with eggs, oil, salt, and whatever veggies I have on hand.  If you have them you can add things like garlic, soy sauce, ginger, peanut butter.  You could also throw in some beans that you've frozen for some extra protein.

I've also lived in a place with no convenience foods, so I understand how hard it can be!  good luck :)

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#17 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

bluedaisy...LOVE this suggestion! THank you!

#18 of 18 Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I totally could...but when it specified non-refridgerated shortening, I figured there was some other reason? lol. Probably not. Hello. Pregnancy brain.

Thanks ladies. Keep em coming!

I think the only reason it uses shortening instead of butter is so it doesn't have to be refrigerated. I almost never use shortening, always butter and I prefer it because it offers more flavor and a better texture to things. Honestly, though; in my experience when it comes to baking fat is fat and all fats have been easily interchangeable. 

jul511riv likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page