Change in Plans, we'll be birthing in the hospital - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are leaving our midwife group as of today and as they are the only midwives in the area who can legally attend a home birth, we are switching to an OB and will be birthing in the hospital. I'm not upset about this or anything, but it is quite a big change so late in our pregnancy! I had set the goal to be 100% ready for the birth by 36 weeks, which was Thursday-the day we made the decision. I was ready for a home birth, but now I'm scrambling and trying to get a hospital birthing plan and bag ready to go by the time the weekend is up. I just need to be ready, YKWIM? 

So, I'm wondering, how big of a bag is too big to take to the hospital? We live about 25 minutes away and with our first birth we were completely unprepared. I had my bag all packed, but really did not have any of the right stuff in there. I have a nice list going, but to take enough stuff for both myself and DH for at least 48 hours (after the birth-possibly 72-if it's a c/s), I feel like I need to take our suitcase! I'm taking my own clothes to wear this time, plus something nicer to wear home than I did last time (sweats), and DH will have to have clean clothes every day, plus toiletries for two and a nursing pillow. I don't want to be ridiculous and take the whole house, but DH and I really can't go anywhere for 48 hours without having to take the suitcase. We're not talking a carry-on, we're talking a full-size suitcase here. What do you think, ladies? Is that ridiculous?

#2 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM

I know women that have done this so I'm sure it's not ridiculous. But if you are just planning a natural birth I wouldn't take so much. I've watched a TON of videos on youtube trying to decide what to bring since last time I didn't have a bag at all due to PROM while I was out at the mall. Anyway I'm just bringing a robe, slippers and snacks for labor and 2 sets of really comfy jammies, travel size toiletries, yoga pants and nursing shirt to go home in, nursing bras, cloth pads, and nursing pads. DH is packing his own bag.

So we have 2 backpacks, a diaper bag and my boppy. Considering we are bringing all our own cloth diapers I'd say we have it down to just the necessities. I didn't really worry about packing for a C-section 1 because DH will HAVE to go home to take care of the animals and do diaper laundry and they will force you in a hospital gown and I'll be bed bound 24-36 hours. 

Anyway, hope that helps. Don't stress about it too much it's more important you feel comfortable.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM

I am having a c section so I know I will be there for a few days.  I am bringing a carry on size suitcase, a diaper bag with toiletries and baby stuff in it, a boppy and a pillow.  I do feel like I've packed a lot but I want to have everything I need.  I am not packing anything for DH.  He will probably wear something he can sleep in the first day, and I will ask him to stay that night with us, but after that he'll be sleeping at home.  The hospital is 25-30 minutes away for us as well, but I know he won't sleep well there and there's not a lot he can do for us anyways since I'll be breastfeeding.  If I need help in the night, I'll have a nurse call button ;). 

If you forget anything you can always have DH run home (or to the store) and get it after the baby is born :)

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

#4 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM

You guys are driving there right? If that is the case, I see no problem with overpacking. Worst case, you leave some of the stuff in the car if you are worried about having too much in your room. You could always use a smaller suitcase, and put the rest of your stuff in big bags of like items. Then you can just tell your husband which bag to go grab out of the car.

Good luck with everything, change and all. :)

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#5 of 7 Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM

I don't have a whole lot of bag advice but wanted to offer you support and encouragement in your decision making!  Hope you have peace that continues to radiate through labor, birth and post partum. 

I, too had to make touch decisions with my care providers this pregnancy and it was both personally and professionally.  So, I can very much relate.  But, now that the decisions are set, we are going to have GREAT births!  Love to you, goddess kristie.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Maybe pack 1 bag for labor, 1 bag for postpartum?  You can aways leave the 2nd bag in the car.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-28-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Good ideas, everyone. I especially like the idea of leaving some things in the car. I did plan to include a pillow,  boppy, snacks and diaper bag in that suitcase. I just despise the idea of dragging a ton of bags through the hospital, or forgetting something at home.

For those birthing in a hospital, if you have little ones what is happening with them? We plan for my mom to come up and stay with DS at our house where she can bring him over to visit a bit each day, but he doesn't have to be completely up-rooted. We had planned for just a play date at my SIL's house, but with it being longer than we initially thought (he would only have been gone for the birth), and with his allergies, I thought it would be best if he could be at home. What is everyone else's plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post

I don't have a whole lot of bag advice but wanted to offer you support and encouragement in your decision making!  Hope you have peace that continues to radiate through labor, birth and post partum. 

I, too had to make touch decisions with my care providers this pregnancy and it was both personally and professionally.  So, I can very much relate.  But, now that the decisions are set, we are going to have GREAT births!  Love to you, goddess kristie.

Thank you! It has been a surprisingly easy decision. We've become aware of some sketchy billing things going on with them and have been unhappy with some of their other actions lately. My 36wk appointment just sealed the deal for us. I'm feeling 100% at peace with the decision and am looking forward to the birth more than ever now that the reservations we've had about them have been relieved. 

Funnily, I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said that my decisions will lead to many rewards. :) 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page