Lochia, natural vs c-section. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a c-section with DD and the lochia wasn't really that bad at all. I figured because they suck/scoop it all out while they are in there. I keep hearing that after a natural birth it's really really bad like dripping down your legs bad. I guess I'm just trying to get a better idea of how long that heavy heavy bleeding last. I'm using cloth pads this time but I do have a few disposables I need to use up. Should I bring both? 

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Yikes! I had no idea it got "sucked" up during a section. In my experience, the lochia was comparable to a really heavy period. But I didn't have any clots or anything. I used overnight pads in the beginning, and then large ones later on.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#3 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM

I've done both.  I had pp bleeding for probably 6 weeks with my vaginal birth and it was pretty heavy for a couple weeks.  I was totally unprepared.  It was really nice to have it for 2-3 days with my sections.

#4 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 PM

I bled 16 weeks after my cesarean, and 8 and 6 weeks after my natural births. The heaviness was no different for my first(c/s) and second(vbac), it was much lighter for my 3rd who was born unassisted. 

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM

i had the full amount with my c-birth, what everybody describes as average length for any birth-- i was surprised at the time b/c i didn't count on that happening with the c.

too, if you are nursing on your non-first baby, you're going to probably have a shorter but more intense duration either way- i'd bring the arsenal!  (they gave me pads at the hospital last time, though, so you might could save yours and use theirs if they offer them)

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM

After my c with DD1 I had locchia for only 4-5 days.  This time, it also is very light at 5 days post partum... though it hasn't stopped yet.

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#7 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM

I bled for a good 4 weeks after my c-sections and then lightly for a couple more weeks. I don't think it was any different from a vaginal birth honestly BUT... hopefully I will get to find that out in a few weeks :)

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

#8 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 02:03 PM

I bled for 2 weeks after my section. It was like a normal period in heaviness. I have always read to expect 4 weeks of bleeding. I think the RRL tea made a difference.

#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 02:14 PM

I've never had c-sections, but with my first birth (episiotomy, not natural, didn't breastfeed past 3 days) I bled for 8 weeks and it was terrible. Heavy, clots, just awful. With my 2nd vaginal birth I was BFing exclusively and I think it made the difference for me. My birth was also drug-free. I was done bleeding before 2 weeks. Occasionally I would spot but no longer than 4 weeks. Not clotty/heavy at all. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe like pregnancy, each one is different. I HATE plastic pads they give me a rash. I guess if I just use what the hospital puts on me till I can shower and feel semi normal the rash won't be so bad. I have 7 heavy cloth pads and 4 light/regular ones, I'm hoping with cloth laundry every other day it'll be enough.

Thanks ladies!

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page