Moms with babes chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My girl doesn't have the best latch, not awful, but not perfect 100% of the time. Most of the time it's pretty good but occasionally I get a slight lipstick shaped nipple. Should I be worried? Do I need to work on correcting her latch? It's kinda hard to correct with her mouth being so small and my boobs being so big! Sometimes it hurts to nurse and sometimes it doesn't. I can usually correct the latch during a feeding by tugging on her chin and shoving more nipple in her mouth. I'll redo her latch if she gets just the nipple in her mouth.

I wasn't too worried since she gained 2 oz in one day and she has 7+ wet diapers a day, so she's definitely getting enough to eat. I just want to make sure it won't cause problems later on...

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#32 of 47 Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

So, Charlie will be 5 weeks on Thursday. Im already getting sad about how fast time is flying. With DD there was this bubble world that we lived in for three months after she was born and time just seemed to stop. He was a month old yesterday, and I didnt even notice that it was a month. Is this what the rest of life will be like?

He is doing great. He's gained about 2 lbs since birth, still nursing well, and still cannot stand to be wet at all. My DH and I refer to him as our "gross baby" sometimes because he is really, really farty. He rarely poops, but he farts all the time. And his burps are super loud, like people have thought it was an adult burp. We are still pumping, and I have given him a bottle a few times. I had a stomach bug last week and it was so awesome to have the pumped milk because I just couldnt nurse him when I was too nauseous.

I go through days where the bleeding is way worse than other days. Sometimes my pantyliner doesnt have a spot on it, and sometimes I could soak a pad. I thought for sure it would be over by now, since I just had light spotting for so long. Other than that, I feel pretty good, especially when my toddler lets me sleep.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#33 of 47 Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

Thanks for asking, treerose! He's fine, though she wants to check him again in a month. He has a bit of a click to one hip but thinks it'll be OK and work itself out:) The good news is I found a ped I like! Hooray for that!

I am soooo glad to hear that - what a relief.

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#34 of 47 Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Adaline'smama, I was wondering if anyone else's baby had such bad gas. My son has had since a day old, and it is stinky! Ijust yesterday, I decided to cut out any major dairy to see if that helps. I don't mind the stink, I just feel so bad for his discomfort.
Other than that, we are doing well. He is a great nurser, hasn't lost much weight, but man does he like to suck on things. Much more than my first son.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#35 of 47 Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydove View Post

My girl doesn't have the best latch, not awful, but not perfect 100% of the time. Most of the time it's pretty good but occasionally I get a slight lipstick shaped nipple. Should I be worried? Do I need to work on correcting her latch? It's kinda hard to correct with her mouth being so small and my boobs being so big! Sometimes it hurts to nurse and sometimes it doesn't. I can usually correct the latch during a feeding by tugging on her chin and shoving more nipple in her mouth. I'll redo her latch if she gets just the nipple in her mouth.
I wasn't too worried since she gained 2 oz in one day and she has 7+ wet diapers a day, so she's definitely getting enough to eat. I just want to make sure it won't cause problems later on...

I feel the asme way about the latch. Our nights are the worst bc I'm too tired to work on it. But during the day I try hard to correct by pulling out her lips I think it's a small lips big breasts thing too and we are getting used to each other still. It doesn't hurt nearly as bad as DD1 and I've only used lanolin the first couple days. I think the latch is super important but her ability to nurse is the priority. So if she's eating and you're not in pain then it's probably going to be ok. I'd just keep trying. Congrats again smile.gif

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#36 of 47 Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 AM

TGIF!! It was DH's week back at work...so happy for the weekend! The week went so much better than I thought, we've only been out once - to the chiropractor last night. Otherwise, I've been trying to lie around and not worry about doing much (and that's hard for me, I'm usually a go, go, go, stress case, lol!), enjoying my babies and help DS1 adjust. Gradually I've gotten more tired, though, so I'm excited to sleep this weekend!! 

I wish people would understand more what we're going through now, I've heard some places treat new mamas as delicately as new babes, which makes sense to me! The emotional and physical toll that 9 months of pregnancy, followed by the whole birthing experience, then feeling the afterpains and crazy emotions of the postpartum periiod...it's amazing we can function at all, much less take care of the baby's every needs and respond to others! I got in a little fight w/DH last night, after being in such bliss for weeks:( It was stupid, he isn't installing the carseat to my satisfaction and he just started getting under my skin (he was trying to be patient w/me, I just couldn't take it!). So it pissed him off finally and me of course. I feel like I just need a few more weeks of sensitivity til I get back to normal self, you know? On sunday he swore I'd call crying on Mon., but I was really in a great mood until yesterday when he set me off! Grr. Hopefully he'll be the bigger person and come home happy and we'll be good to go for the weekend!

What's everyone else been doing for their babymoons? We've also had no visitors besides MIL (to take DS1 out only), which has been a dream! Though FIL got mad at DH on the phone about it. He wanted to bring some girl we've never met - no way I said! Absolutely I don't want a stranger in my home, holding my new baby, and how weird for DS1 too, no thanks. I didn't even want him here the first week. Sorry, bonding w/my new family. Am I incredibly rude?? (PS, no visitors has meant no food! Good thing I have freezer meals!)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#37 of 47 Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

yippeehippie, I feel you on the wishing people understood what we were going through. In the last months of pregnancy, it seemed like I couldnt open a door for myself. Yesterday I had to manage opening a door while pushing a stroller with one hand , a diaper bag draped over my shoulder, and carrying an infant in my wrap while several people looked at me like I was crazy. WTF? If I was still pregnant, people would have been begging to open the door for me and asking how much longer I had to go. Now they just look at me like Im a wreck, and then smile and tell me "It looks like you have your hands full". Thanks, that is exactly what I want to hear while the door is hitting me in the ass and you stand there looking at me like a crazy person. Grrr.....

Slimkins, While DS has a lot of gas, I dont really think he is uncomfortable. I think he just farts all the time, so its all coming out and its not staying in and building up. He (knock on wood) doesnt seem to mind it, hes just stinky.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#38 of 47 Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippiehippie View Post

TGIF!! It was DH's week back at work...so happy for the weekend! The week went so much better than I thought, we've only been out once - to the chiropractor last night. Otherwise, I've been trying to lie around and not worry about doing much (and that's hard for me, I'm usually a go, go, go, stress case, lol!), enjoying my babies and help DS1 adjust. Gradually I've gotten more tired, though, so I'm excited to sleep this weekend!! 

I wish people would understand more what we're going through now, I've heard some places treat new mamas as delicately as new babes, which makes sense to me! The emotional and physical toll that 9 months of pregnancy, followed by the whole birthing experience, then feeling the afterpains and crazy emotions of the postpartum periiod...it's amazing we can function at all, much less take care of the baby's every needs and respond to others! I got in a little fight w/DH last night, after being in such bliss for weeks:( It was stupid, he isn't installing the carseat to my satisfaction and he just started getting under my skin (he was trying to be patient w/me, I just couldn't take it!). So it pissed him off finally and me of course. I feel like I just need a few more weeks of sensitivity til I get back to normal self, you know? On sunday he swore I'd call crying on Mon., but I was really in a great mood until yesterday when he set me off! Grr. Hopefully he'll be the bigger person and come home happy and we'll be good to go for the weekend!

What's everyone else been doing for their babymoons? We've also had no visitors besides MIL (to take DS1 out only), which has been a dream! Though FIL got mad at DH on the phone about it. He wanted to bring some girl we've never met - no way I said! Absolutely I don't want a stranger in my home, holding my new baby, and how weird for DS1 too, no thanks. I didn't even want him here the first week. Sorry, bonding w/my new family. Am I incredibly rude?? (PS, no visitors has meant no food! Good thing I have freezer meals!)

I AGREE!!!! Today DD2 will be 1 week old and what a week., My parents are here, which has been helpful because DH could not take a week off and my healing has been painful. I did have 2 of my mama friends come over yesterday. The first week of DD1's life, no one entered our home for a week and it was blissful. Nothing but freezer meals, and us bonding with our baby. This time around unfortunately, I knew DH wouldn't have the time off (he was hospitalized in January and used up all but 4 days). So he took off half a day Friday when I was in labor and Monday to be with us but I'm grateful my parents are here. They've been a huge help with DD1 when she's amicable and DD2 when I need one-on-one time with DD1. They've also cooked so I can save my freezer meals for another week (phew). Anyway, that's my unique situation. But I've enjoyed just being home with the exception of one trip to the ped for both girls. (so silly, when I KNOW they're healthy beautiful and perfect....)

So yeah, I feel fragile and I want to be treated as such. I don't want to be expected to get it all done. I'm still bleeding, still cramping at times, have stitches and swelling that ache and I'm exhausted. I'm nervous for when my parents leave Tuesday morning and I start to do this on my own. I'm really really really nervous. I don't know about going out. I don't know if DD1 will act out making things difficult? She's so easy when she's easy but when she's upset I need 2 hands and then some. I think I just need to plan on staying in next week too. I mean DD2 will only be in her 2nd week of life and this will give DD1 and I a chance to figure out how to juggle our new living and family situation.

Emotionally, I still have a lot of tears that long to be shed and I cry over silly things because I'm not even sure what I want to cry about but it's some culmination of pregnancy, labor, delivery, new baby, older baby growing up, gratefulness for this awesome responsibility and beautiful family. Sigh... I'm rambling. Let me just send hugs and understanding your way and wish us all a lovely weekend of family and rest.

#39 of 47 Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

yippeehippie, I feel you on the wishing people understood what we were going through. In the last months of pregnancy, it seemed like I couldnt open a door for myself. Yesterday I had to manage opening a door while pushing a stroller with one hand , a diaper bag draped over my shoulder, and carrying an infant in my wrap while several people looked at me like I was crazy. WTF? If I was still pregnant, people would have been begging to open the door for me and asking how much longer I had to go. Now they just look at me like Im a wreck, and then smile and tell me "It looks like you have your hands full". Thanks, that is exactly what I want to hear while the door is hitting me in the ass and you stand there looking at me like a crazy person.

Ha, this is too true, but DH gets the opposite treatment. DH wears Ds in the ergo most times when we go out and people can't wait to open the door for my 6'5" husband. He and the babe went to the hardware store this weekend and the employees loaded all the stuff onto the cart for him and an employee pushed the cart out to the car! He said even though he gets funny looks (men carrying babies are still not common out here) people have been so much more friendly and helpful.

So yeah, a month in and still feeling overwhelmed here. I can not imagine how all yall with older kids do it! My nipples are still  tender despite a good latch. I'm not surprised since I've always been sensitive to touch and bruise super easily. The demands of nursing have been hard for me and I feel run down a lot. Emotionally it has been really rough. I was not prepared for a baby that needs to be held all the time. But a baby that needs to be snuggled all day definitely beats baby that cries all day(which was our first three weeks). Its just hard to "run" a house while laying on the couch most of the day. I'm doing more now (thank goodness for the moby wrap!) but I still feel pretty useless. Although DH has been great I feel guilty dropping DS in his lap as soon as he gets home so I can do laundry, dinner, etc... On the plus side DS and DH are totally bonded. Ds just sleeps on dad's chest and they can go for hours like this. No such luck for me since Ds can't sleep on my chest with the food right there.

We've also become an unintentional co-sleeping family which freaks me out. We had a co-sleeper bassinet against the bed which Ds liked when he was swaddled, but he hates being wrapped now and won't sleep in the co-sleeper unwrapped for whatever reason. He snoozes away in the bed with us, but DH is a very, very heavy sleeper (like he slept though an earthquake once). Even though he's not a flipper I'm still worried about him squishing Ds.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#40 of 47 Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeRose View Post

Emotionally, I still have a lot of tears that long to be shed and I cry over silly things because I'm not even sure what I want to cry about but it's some culmination of pregnancy, labor, delivery, new baby, older baby growing up, gratefulness for this awesome responsibility and beautiful family. Sigh... I'm rambling. Let me just send hugs and understanding your way and wish us all a lovely weekend of family and rest.

Same here for sure! So much crying to be done...I finally broke down yesterday in the shower and felt oh so much better after I got that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzubo View Post

Ha, this is too true, but DH gets the opposite treatment. DH wears Ds in the ergo most times when we go out and people can't wait to open the door for my 6'5" husband. He and the babe went to the hardware store this weekend and the employees loaded all the stuff onto the cart for him and an employee pushed the cart out to the car! He said even though he gets funny looks (men carrying babies are still not common out here) people have been so much more friendly and helpful.

So yeah, a month in and still feeling overwhelmed here. I can not imagine how all yall with older kids do it! My nipples are still  tender despite a good latch. I'm not surprised since I've always been sensitive to touch and bruise super easily. The demands of nursing have been hard for me and I feel run down a lot. Emotionally it has been really rough. I was not prepared for a baby that needs to be held all the time. But a baby that needs to be snuggled all day definitely beats baby that cries all day(which was our first three weeks). Its just hard to "run" a house while laying on the couch most of the day. I'm doing more now (thank goodness for the moby wrap!) but I still feel pretty useless. Although DH has been great I feel guilty dropping DS in his lap as soon as he gets home so I can do laundry, dinner, etc... On the plus side DS and DH are totally bonded. Ds just sleeps on dad's chest and they can go for hours like this. No such luck for me since Ds can't sleep on my chest with the food right there.

We've also become an unintentional co-sleeping family which freaks me out. We had a co-sleeper bassinet against the bed which Ds liked when he was swaddled, but he hates being wrapped now and won't sleep in the co-sleeper unwrapped for whatever reason. He snoozes away in the bed with us, but DH is a very, very heavy sleeper (like he slept though an earthquake once). Even though he's not a flipper I'm still worried about him squishing Ds.

I can't imagine doing this with another babe (or babes) in the house!! Seriously simply the mix of a toddler and a tear would be enough to make me cry every day! Thank God for good help, my mom has been here and will be here for another week so i'm *praying* my tear will heal up by then...Thankfully I haven't had to deal with a crying baby much at all.

'Unintentional co-sleeping family'- thats exactly how I would describe us. Its crazy how much better he'll sleep when hes near me. I'm not too worried about it but my dh seems to be. Hes going to be gone for the evening running the ambulance in our city and he said to me before he left "don't roll over and suffocate the baby tonight, ok?" I asked him if he was really that worried and he said "no, but that would not be a fun call for me to respond to". Sooo, I'm still working on getting him into the co sleeper as often as I can just so dh doesn't have to worry about it.

#41 of 47 Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Treerose - i was so worried to be alone w/the 2 kids too, but it really was/is OK...much better than what I'd imagined anyway;) It will take much more time adjusting, esp for the older siblings, but that's why I'm trying my best to take it easy and give DS1 that time and tons of love.

We had our first visit from friends today, one that's DS1's exact age. It was not pretty, unfortunately. He pushed him a couple times and got pretty crazy at times. Luckily my friend was understanding. I feel like maybe I should get him back on schedule, but also think it's too soon! We're going to try to make a LLL mtg on Thrs and our homeschool group on Fri. but we'll see...

Ramzubo and lovebeingamw - how about letting your babe's sleep on your side instead of in between you and DH? I had DS1 sleep in btwn us when newborn until one night I awoke to DH almost on top of him and DS1 struggling a bit to get away! Yikes! From then on I slept in the middle. BFing mamas have that intuition and I don't consider it unsafe to co-sleep. I don't, however, want DH to sleep w/him. A study I read a long time ago showed all the babes that had been smothered (in the study) were by non-moms or bottle feeding moms, no bfing ones though. Even when DS1 was 18mo old and sleeping in his room it took me weeks before I didn't wake up every time he did (and I didn't have a monitor or anything in the room), that's how "in sync" we were!

It's nice to hear from everyone and how y'all are doing...makes this journey less isolating, YKWIM?grouphug.gif

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#42 of 47 Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

My baby is 7 wks today and last wk at 6 wks he was up to 11 lbs 15 oz. His birth weight was 7 lbs 5 oz. He also started rolling a wk ago and has rolled over 4 times. I think we are dealing with yeast though. His face has what I think is a yeast rash. I'm trying to be good about my diet and I am taking probiotics so I hope it goes away.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#43 of 47 Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM

What's your thoughts of using a pacifier? I gave her one last night on the way home from the airport when she was screaming and again today. I worried that it could effect her latch, which isn't great to begin with. My mom said that it could help her latch...

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#44 of 47 Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 PM

kaydove everybody's been gone, i guess... i think a paci is just fine.  i haven't noticed any problems with either of my kids, though kid number 1 turned out to be a thumbsucker in the long run. 

also:  if you have a strong need-to-suck baby, better that thing than the boobie.  when they get so much they just spit it up and still scream to nurse, bring ON the paci.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#45 of 47 Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 PM

I think it's okay @Kaydove. I wanted to wait to give ds one but he just wanted to suck and suck and suck and suck and with sore nipples and thrush it was just too much. I don't think it really did anything to improve or hurt his latch. I'm sure your little girl is several weeks old now it should be fine.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#46 of 47 Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 AM

We're loving the pacifier this time!  So much better than being a human one :)

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#47 of 47 Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 AM

We used a pacifier, too. She loved it the first month, but bow she's not interested at all. It didn't affect her latch at all. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page