another breech baby -- bummer... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm 37w1d today and had a checkup where the midwife checked and then did an US and told me the baby was breech. I'm scheduled for an ECV on Friday morning (last possible day for them to do it, supposedly. Going for accupuncture Tuesday and Wednesday. lying upside down 3-4 times per day (haven't tried that yet b/c I'm at work). Read spinningbabies. This is my second and I didn't have this issue last time, but this time everything that was easy last time is hard this time, so I'm starting to feel a bit worried about the birth part. Last time I had no morning sickness, gained only 15 pounds from a normal weight, baby was nice and small, yet healthy, no GBS, no breech, pushed him out in 40 minutes. This time, super nauseous, gained lots of weight, GBS is TBD, breech, who knows what else... :( I just want this to be over without me getting sliced open. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 01:40 PM

I've had a more than a few friends when "allowed" to labor had their breech babies flip during labor. Plus, I've known a few moms with supportive midwives or confident doctors who understand breech is a variation of normal allowed to deliver vaginally. All had healthy babies :-). Hoping you can have the birth experience you desire. Oh, and chiropractic adjustments and massage have helped my flipper stay head down the past few weeks. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

Old 01-30-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having a hospital birth at Kaiser (a California HMO). While they are pretty crunchy for a hospital - lots of midwives, as well as doctors, low C-section rates, etc. - they don't do breech deliveries. I didn't investigate fully today with the midwife how long they would let me go, but I assume they'd want to schedule a section before i go into labor. Although I've become a very crunchy / attached parent since I had my first child, I for some reason have a huge fear of birth and the pain that it entails, so a homebirth or other things are not something I'm comfortable with. Last birth was with an epidural at the hospital and it was totally fine for me and my son. I came away from that thinking I could handle it and do it again. (Please don't judge me for choosing an epidural -- I know the reasons that many here choose not to. blowkiss.gif

)

I really don't want to have a CS for many reasons, but one of them that I don't want to be away from my son for that long. He's super attached to me. He's never slept away from me, still nurses at 3y4mos, and whenever I discuss with him what he'd like to do when I go into labor, he just turns his head away and tears up and gets very quiet and sad. I work outside the home, so he is used to other people watching him, but never at night. 

Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Baby turned, by herself!!!! I spent all week going for accupuncture, chiropractor, doing moxibustion, lying upside down, crawling around on the ground, rebozo sifting, loosening hip swiveling on the ball, ice on the head, music on the pelvic bone. Then I went in for the version at the hospital this morning, which was super scary, because we had to go to labor and delivery, get hooked up to the monitors, get prepped for IV, wear a gown, etc., etc. and finally the doctor came and checked with the u/s and said "head down." Everybody was so excited and I was about to cry. I'm pretty sure she turned around yesterday at 37w 5d, one day before the version. Until then, I was clearly feeling the head sitting under the rib cage (knowing now that that feeling was a head bump, not a butt.) I just love feeling the pressure of her head in my pelvis now and knowing that the pokes in the ribs are kicks, not hands anymore. 

Just posting for posterity for anyone else searching for info. My hunch is that the chiropractor helped a lot. He did a modified Webster technique and used the Arthrostim to loosen the muscles and ligaments that were tightening my pelvis. 

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM

Awesome!! Way to get on it and 'make it happen' mrs. cookie! I hope your birth is way easier than you're anticipating!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Woohooo!!! The chiro had been the trick plus a prenatal massage to loosen the pelvic fascia even more to keep my LO from flipping to breech all the time. So happy for you!

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 AM

That is so great mrscookie we have a similar story!  My baby flipped finally under the loving hands of a midwife version at 39 weeks so it is possible!  I also did chiro and moxa and all that you mentioned!  

My baby was born a home two days ago...

Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Hooray!!! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like all your hard work paid off! Good job, Mama!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM

i just had my baby jan 25th and she turned at 39 weeks the day i went in for a version/possible c-section...before they started they did the ultrasound and she was head down finally lol

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh. I don't think at my hospital they were keen on even attempting a version later than 37 weeks. I'm surprised they'd do it at 39 weeks. Perhaps depending on some bogus ultrasound size measurement? (It was off by 2 pounds for my son last time...) The nurse kept talking about setting up the IV and I kept asking "but aren't you going to check the position of the baby with the ultrasound first?!"

I'm glad we can leave some anecdotes here for others who may find themselves in this situation in the future. 

Old 02-07-2012, 05:18 PM

sorry-in-advanced-for-the-dashes-I'm-on-my-bad-keyboard.-busted-space-bar....My-baby-measured-small-for-gestational-age,-she-was-small-for-gestational-age-when-born-too.With-that-said-I-had-a-really-tough-pregnancy-and-was-really-high-risk-lots-of-issues....We-found-out-super-late-that-she-was-breech-too,38wks-being-my-6th-baby-they-didnt-want-to-section-me-but-noone-would-deliver-me-breech...NOONE-because-of-the-potential-legal-aspects-should-something-happen....so-they-were-going-to-do-it-and-her-size-etc-was-a-factor.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 AM

Yes pretty unusual but I insisted!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscookie View Post

Oh my gosh. I don't think at my hospital they were keen on even attempting a version later than 37 weeks. I'm surprised they'd do it at 39 weeks. Perhaps depending on some bogus ultrasound size measurement? (It was off by 2 pounds for my son last time...) The nurse kept talking about setting up the IV and I kept asking "but aren't you going to check the position of the baby with the ultrasound first?!"

I'm glad we can leave some anecdotes here for others who may find themselves in this situation in the future. 

User Tag List