evening primrose oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

has anyone used this with success or is using this pregnancy? I'm getting desperate, and am interested in trying some natural methods to get things going.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM

I started it orally a week or two ago, and am going to start vaginally, too, tonight. I'm 38 weeks. As for my understanding, with EPO, it isn't really going to get things going that aren't already going. It might to help soften your cervix, if it is already softening. It's one of those things that doesn't hurt to do, but I wouldn't use it with the idea of really speeding things up. Might make you disappointed.

Maybe others will chime in, cause I could be wrong.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM

My midwife explained it the same way you did Slimkins and that it helps soften the cervix since its a prostaglandin but not as strong as semen. I wouldn't even say that its quite an augmentation to labor.

I took one orally yesterday morning but it made me sick to my stomach, so I inserted one in my vagina, tried to get it by my cervix but couldn't quite reach, lol. I read that it works best inserted vaginally after 37 weeks, so I'm going to skip it orally and just insert one or two vaginally each night. I have some clean, unused vaginal insert stick things that come in the box when you buy yeast infection cream, so I'll try those to get them up by my cervix. My midwife said that it can especially help first time moms whose cervix hasn't opened before.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, this helps!

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 PM

The only thing is that EPO has been linked to PROM (premature rupture of membranes)... so water breaks but labor doesn't start. It's not a chance I will take, especially being GBS positive as having the water broken for a long time can make that worse.

Wife since 2004. Mommy to DS (2005) and DD (2008) and my hopefully VBA2C baby DD due Feb 2012!

lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifribboncesarean.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

The only thing is that EPO has been linked to PROM (premature rupture of membranes)... so water breaks but labor doesn't start. It's not a chance I will take, especially being GBS positive as having the water broken for a long time can make that worse.

Thank you for posting this - I wasn't aware of the risks and forgot to ask! I'll definitely ask my midwife tomorrow about the risk of EPO. I am GBS negative, so I wonder if the risks are lower for me...

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 PM

I'm only 5 days in on EPO but sexy time with dh has been WAY more effective.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysmylilpunkin View Post

I had never heard this, and am seeing mixed views when I look around for more info (isn't that how it always is when it comes to herbs-vitamins). Almost impossible to find anything evidence-based. But it is definitely worth consideration. I had PROM last time, but luckily, I was at my EDD, and contractions started about 5 hours later. I was not using EPO that time. My midwife had recommended  waiting until 39 weeks for vaginally, so, maybe that is what I'll do. Plus, we have been having sex quite frequently, I don't want to overdue it. :)

And I'm sure you know this, but from looking around, it seems to be suggested that Vitamin C strengthens your bag of waters.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM

I'll be 37 weeks in a few days. I got the liquid EPO with a dropper. I was thinking of mixing it with coconut oil and inserting into my vagina after the 37 week mark. Does anyone know how much I should use? 

Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM

I've been using 1000 mg but I know some people increase that with time. You could do 1000mg week one and 1500mg week 2 and 2000mg week 3 or something like that. I'm currently taking a break b/c this baby isn't allowed to come till Tuesday. So I'll start back on monday night. HTH

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM

I found this discussion of EPO and dosage interesting:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1004668/evening-primrose-oil-and-possible-problems

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM

That discussion was very interesting! My dosage is one 500mg capsule inserted vaginally every night. DH and I haven't had sex in a while - he can't get passed the 'my baby's head is right there!' so EPO is my alternative for prostaglandins. If I go post 40 weeks, I'll start up-ing the dose.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Would there be any point to taking this if my cervix is already effaced?

Mom to DD born 12/2007, DS born 2/2012 and a on the way January 2015
Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Hmm... I mean I guess it couldn't hurt in a low dose. Are you dilated at all?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 AM

lurking. :)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597

User Tag List