Does your birth plan reference studies or ACOG recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If mine did would this be pretentious? I want to show that we are well-informed and that our decisions are not made lightly, but I don't want to be insulting. 

#2 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM

hmmm.... I guess it depends on the personality of the persons you are getting. Maybe you could just say, "as per ACOG guidelines" and keep the references separate. But also with you in case you wanted to show them.

And I would keep in mind if you are following some, and 'not' following others. They might find hypocrisy in this, and it could further discredit you. You now....

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#3 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM

if you wanted to include that you had done the research, maybe just write a blurb in the introduction?  personally, i think the simpler & more easy to read a birth plan is, the better off you are.  think bullet points.  but the intro can say whatever you'd like, so if it were me i'd include it there. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM

I just wanted to add that I would keep it to one page, make sure it's not too long with references.

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

#5 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Mine doesn't but we have a doula so I think that's a good buffer. Our plan is to "privately discuss" EVERYTHING that is suggested beyond the scope of our birth plan. Maybe you can get a friend to at least pretend to be your doula to have that extra buffer too?

Personally I wouldn't put in references b/c you kind of are at their mercy and I wouldn't want to piss them off unnecessarily. Good luck.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#6 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I'm trying to get it finished up before my first appointment with my OB tomorrow (transferring care). I ended up just saying things like "No augmentation of labor... to lower risk of uterine rupture." So they know that I know that those things can be harmful for a VBAC patient and am not just being difficult for no reason. I've printed out studies and ACOG bulletins to back all of that up and have it all in a folder ready to go. I'm taking it to my appointment tomorrow in case I feel the need to show any of it to the OB and I'll pack it in our labor bag (suitcase! lol) after the appointment so I'm certain I have it for the birth.

I did put that we had done a lot of research while making the decisions and I kept it to one page with bullet points divided into appropriate sections (First Stage, Second Stage, and After Birth).

I'm feeling pretty good about it!

#7 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM

yay! I'm glad it's all coming together for you. 

On another note, can the OB refuse you as a patient this late in the game?

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#8 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea. 

#9 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Well I sure hope not for your sake! I mean they did schedule you an appt so that's good. I REALLY wanted to change with DD b/c my midwife was totally dismissing my concerns (which happened to be correct) but didn't think I could find a new dr at 35 weeks. I just ended up at some random hospital, with a random dr, for a c-section for a breech. 

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 right. LOL

#10 of 13 Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

It sure is! I wish I could go back and do things differently with my first birth, too. I did tell them all the worst things about me, and three of the four OBs in the practice take high-risk patients, so I don't foresee any issues. Honestly, my biggest concern is that they wont be as supportive or open-minded as I would like and I'll have to keep shopping.

#11 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM

I don't know if this comes too late but when I was introducing my birth plan at my transfer of care meeting I had page 1 be a bulletted brief and direct birth plan and then I had a second page that included full citations to back up what I was arguing for.  As an academic, it made sense to me to include the references for what I had been reading.  Also, it gave me a good starting point to talk about things with the OBs.  That approach might work for you too...  Good luck!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#12 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

if you wanted to include that you had done the research, maybe just write a blurb in the introduction?  personally, i think the simpler & more easy to read a birth plan is, the better off you are.  think bullet points.  but the intro can say whatever you'd like, so if it were me i'd include it there. 

I agree with keeping it short and simple with bullet points.

from my experience as a doula, the nurses come in and look it over and get a good picture of what kind of client you are.  "Oh, this is our natural birther.  Great."  and sometimes a nurse who is more inclined to support a natural mama will seek you out.  but, honestly, the people in the room cannot recall and remember everything you want; I have found it helpful for it to be verbalized again while things are happening.  for example, as the babe is being born, someone should remind everyone in the room, "They want to delay cord clamping."  and again as the babe emerges, "They want the babe to go straight to the mom's chest."  "They don't want the cord cut, yet."  And then I say things to the parents like, "The cord is still pulsing."  just so they know what else is going on.  So many things can be happening all at once that it helps to have someone acting as the eyes and ears of the situation conveying to both care providers and the parents what is happening or what they asked to have happen.  What about the nurses or NICU staff who walk in at the last minute and have not seen or read your birth plan or your chart?  It's great to have someone by your side who really KNOWS your desires and can advocate for them in a gentle, kind but firm way.  Everyone has a job to do there and they will be focused on going about that in their normal way.  Hospital policies play a huge role in the way things happen even if your care provider knows your birth plan.  This has been my experiences and I hope it helps.  love.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#13 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I really like that idea, Gunter! I'm going to talk to my DH about maybe being vocal about things.

My appointment was this afternoon and I gave them my birth plan. She said it was well-written and she could tell that it was carefully worded. I had her go through it with me to be sure nothing was out of the ordinary and most of the things on there she told me were the hospital's practices, so I don't have to worry about a lot of it (they do have the Baby Friendly designation there, after all). I ended up not needing any of my backup research at all because the practice and the hospital are both right in line with almost every one of the things I listed!

Thanks so much for all your input, it really helped!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page