Stripping membranes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are your thoughts? I'm 39 weeks. My second baby. I thought shed come sooner than this. Last baby was 42 weeks and 2 days! I don't want to go that long again. I've had long and strong contractions off and on for weeks. I'm trying to believe they are helping me progress....

wishing all you mamas the best!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 02:01 PM

I had mine stripped with my son, twice and it didn't do anything. But I am hitting my due date tomorrow and I know how you feel, the thought of going another two + weeks sounds agonizing. If you have a care giver that you trust to do it, and it would make you feel a little bit better to take some "action" I say go for it, what can it hurt?

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#3 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your thoughts. I'd hoped not to even make it to my due date this time. But I don't want to just be impatient. I guess I'll wait  a couple more days and talk with my husband. Good luck to you. Sending birthing vibes. 

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#4 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 AM

I've been wondering about this too. If you have your memebrans stripped can it increase your chance of a c-section if you're not ready for labor?

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#5 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 AM

If your body isnt ready for labor, you wont go into labor whether just because you had your membranes stripped. I had mine stripped at 39 weeks, 4 days after several weeks of prodromal labor. I had bloody show about 24 hours later, and DS was born about 36 hours after having my membranes stripped. I was already dilated to 4, 90% effaced, so Im sure my body was ready. (And I know my heart, mind, and sleep schedule were). From what I understand, some women can have it done multiple times with no results though, so I wouldnt have it done with the intention of it sending you into labor, just because it might crush your hope smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the input. We've decided not to do it. It's just another something that will get into my head and probably mess with this peaceful relaxation I'm trying to foster. Hanging in here.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page