Congestion! (39 weeks) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My nose is so congested-  I'd totally be OK being 39 weeks pregnant, but not being able to breathe through my nose is miserable!   Any suggestions to clear my sinus's?   I'd *really* like to be able to breathe when i'm in labor! (kind of of important!)  Especially since some of my tools for labor are aromatherpy- i'd love to be able to smell too!

Someone or something unclog my nose!!

Mom to DD born 12/2007  and a babyf.gifon the way February 2012

#2 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 AM

I've been congested this ENTIRE pregnancy.... sorry, it's so annoying! 

I love the Breathe Right strips- that you wear and they pull your nose open from the outside.  It's amazing how much better I feel when I have one on.  Sleeping or just walking around. It does bend your nose out of shape, but I'm fine with that. 

I've taken a lot of steamy showers, and really try to practice deep breathing while I'm in there to get things moving. 

My husband, who has a lot of allergies, swears by his netti pot, but I can't do it without choking.

Good luck!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Make sure to use distilled or at least boiled water in your neti pot! There's a brain eating amoeba that's been linked to the neti pot and using tap water! We've always used tap water even though the directions say to use distilled water - not anymore! It does work really well though, and I like to use more sea salt in my rinses then my DH's. When I was sick with a cold earlier in the pregnancy, it was the only thing that helped.

Hope you feel better soon!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM

I feel for you, as I had this at 41wks! and was beginning to panic I wouldn't go into labor because I felt so congested and ill.I was worried I would lose my homebirth, as I had to transfer to hospital care at 42 wks. I ended up taking an antibiotic and my doctor told me I could use a nasal spray, once a day if I really needed it. Have you spoken to your midwife or doc about suggestions?

#5 of 6 Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM

I have a really really nasty cold and am very congested as well. I've considered saline but haven't actually made it out to get any yet.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM

I have been congested this whole pregnancy. I have always had sinus problems and it is freaking miserable. My husband is making me drink apple cider vinegar and honey in warm water before bed to clear them out so I can sleep. It is not the tastiest tonic but when desperation sets in, I would do anything to sleep. I am 41 weeks now and seriously need rest. I'm averaging 4-5 hours of sleep a night which my midwives are not happy about (that has been going on for 2 months now. There really is no way for me to not go into labor sleep deprived at this point.). With the tonic (and my dislocated rib finally healing), I am able to sleep more like 6 hours a night and it is making a huge difference.

Sinus Congestion Tonic

8 oz warm water

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1+ tbsp honey (to taste)

Mix together and drink. Might burn a bit going down, but it will work.

Other that that, I am sleeping propped up on a ton of pillow and drinking hot tea like its going out of fashion. Sometimes a bready snack before bed also helps to slough off post nasal drainage. I eat saltines. Also, I can't use a netti pot because I can't tilt my head back due to a tonsillectomy without it just draining down my throat. I found a solution to that with the Nasopure. Its more like a squirt bottle for saline and works pretty well. I used it for a while, though I am "enjoying" the tonic more so lately. 

Do keep in mind that the further you are along in your pregnancy the more likely the tonic will give you heartburn. A Tums or some kefir before can help, but avoid dairy after because it will just clog your nose again.

Good luck and I totally feel your pain. 

Pagan mama, married to DH since 10/27/09. Had a wonderful h20homebirth.gif with baby D in 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page