Crazy itchy rash/hives Am I allergic to being pregnant?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Rin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 41 weeks today. 

Wednesday I had my membranes stripped. Thursday I went in for my third acupuncture treatment in order to hopefully bring on labor. It was a pretty intense session with some channel clearing and immune boosting stuff that happened. I felt amazing afterwards and was totally open and welcoming the idea of labor starting. That night I took a really long bath with Lavender.  When I went to bed that night I had itchy wrists and thought it just had something to do with the bath and having dry skin.

Yesterday when I woke up, I had a very mean looking itchy, red rach in the crease of my elbows, behind my knees, under my breasts and in my groin where my legs attach to the trunk of my body. My midwife instructed me to take some Benedryl and keep her informed. 

With the Benedryl in my system the rash went away.  It came back in the afternoon, but instead of being in the same areas, the rash/hives seemed to follow the meridians that my acupuncturist had worked on the previous day. My midiwfe didn't think it was

PUPPPS because of the way it started and spread didn't follow typical PUPPPS outbreak. she gave homeopathic Rhus tox and Apis Mellifica to help

After a discussion with the Acupuncturist, we came to the conclusion I was having a "Herxheimer" reaction or detox rash.  I took more benedryl and it went away. I went to bed and woke up around 1AM itchy and needing to pee. Everywhere that my body had been covered, or touching itself there were huge angry red raised, itchy welts.  

I climbed into a hot oatmeal/Epsom salt bath which alleviated the itching, but irritated the rash, it began to hurt and sting especially on my feet. I took more Benedryl had a few surges and fell asleep.

I woke this morning and the rash was gone, but I was itchy. I took more benadryl and went to see the Midwife again. They seem to think that my body is somehow reacting to the hormones my body is producing and want me to take milk thistle and dandelion to support my liver with any detoxing that is going on. They also seem to think that it will go away once baby arrives.

I have learned that I need to keep a steady stream of benedryl in my system, and that any heat makes it way worse.  

I'm sooo itchy and uncomfortable.  I am soooooo ready to meet this baby!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What did you learn, and how did you cope? Did it go away at delivery?

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#2 of 2 Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey - sympathy and air hugs here - but not too much info.  I just wanted to ask - are they SURE it isnt PUPPS?  I only ask - for two reasons....my friend who delivered about 18 months ago had similar symptoms - (diagnosed as PUPPS)  also instructed to drink Milk Thistle and nettle to flush the liver - but that didnt alleviate the itchiness - so she was also taking Benadryl, it continued for almost two weeks past the birth of her daughter and she didnt stop taking the Benadryl - it impacted breastfeeding in a major way.....she almost gave up on it  - but her LC saw an open pack of Benadryl on her dresser and asked about it. 

so - drink gallons of the milk thistle and nettle - and dont forget no Benadryl with breastfeeding - sorry, i wish i had more!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page