nursing moms - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its day two of nursing, and this is my third time around so I'm pretty positive that our latch is good - but my nipples are feeling sore. Its not so bad once she is on and nursing, but when she first latches it makes me wince a bit. I don't remember this happening the second time with my daughter, and I'm wondering if anyone else experienced soreness the first week or if its probably something else (thrush? bad latch?)

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#2 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 PM

This definitely happened w/me w/DS1. I remember to talking to other ppl about it and found it's quite common to hurt initially. It really bothered me when he first latched and then it was fine. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I think it was over a week, unfortunately:(

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#3 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM

I've breastfed 8 (plus my friend's baby cause she left her with me and the dingbat forgot to leave formula), and I'll be bf'ing this one too :) It's not likely bad latch or thrush or any other such thing ;) I'm an experienced breastfeeder and I can say I have had this happen, with several of my babies so it's not you OR your LO. It just happens.

My best advice to you and any other mom here having this issue is to have Lansinoh on hand before birth. Use this sparingly (as in a little at a time to prevent sticking to things), as it is super thick and will cause your breasts to stick to your bra or any material touching you. Use just a drop size on your finger and rub it in good. Not just on your nipple, but areola as well. It will cut out most of the pain and it also helps stop itching on your breast.

It is safe to use during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.

Good luck mama!! Congrats to you and all the other moms!!

#4 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM

This happened with my son for the first several weeks. It was pins and needles the first 10-15 seconds and then all good. When I told my midwife about it, she said the baby wasn't latching on deep enough to begin with. She said that is why the pain went away after the baby worked it's way further up. So, she said to make sure I bring the baby to the breast and not your breast down to the baby. She also said to make sure the baby's mouth is pretty wide open before latching on.

not sure if this is the same scenario with you, but thought I would share.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#5 of 10 Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Lasinoh lanolin for sure. And a deep breath count to 10. smile.gif

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#6 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm now 18 days in and I'm still in soooooooo much pain. It's not thrush and I don't think it's a bad latch. I don't know what's going on or how much more I can take. I'm toying with pumping and bottle feeding but if this is just my nipples breaking in, I fear a break will make things worse. My nipples are SO red and chapped and hurt even when I'm not nursing. I've tried lanolin and cabbage and neither have helped. HELP! I didn't have ANY of this with DD. mecry.gif

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#7 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM

I'm getting the first 10 second of pain and then it goes away feeling as well- and also when he's over excited or over hungry, it tends to hurt for longer.  The lanolin DEFINITELY helped a ton. 

I did have another question though- Vitamin D supplements?  Does he need them? Has anyone used them? The pediatrician recommended them today, but I hate to give money to enfamil and to add something if it's not necessary.... anyone have any stories? Ideas? Opinions?  (Hah). 

Thanks!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#8 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#9 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 AM

The first 10-15 seconds hurt SO bad!! She doesn't open her mouth very wide, she actually starts moving her mouth like she's nursing before I put the nipple in so I have a moving target and have to try to time it so I get the nipple in when her mouth is the widest. It's really cute but makes nursing hurt!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#10 of 10 Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the link to kellymom!

And Kaydove, sometimes tickling their bottom lip with your nipple helps them to open wide. Sometimes, not.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page