Baby Buck's Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Until pretty much the last minute, we'd thought labor might happen on its own, but in the end we had a repeat cesarean. 

Going to the preop appointment was pretty crushing, but when i was there, the l & d nurse who did the appointment with me was so awesome and so reassuring.  She told me she thought this birth experience would be very different than the first, and she was right!

The night before, my mother in law came to stay with dd, and we had to get up extremely early- they wanted us there at 6:30 am and the hospital is 40 minutes away.  I wasn't supposed to eat or drink, but i was rebellious enough to have some coffee; the surgery wasn't supposed to be till a few hours after arriving and i figured i needed something.  at least it wasn't whiskey!

we got there and were in the l & d room, and our nurse came in- she was a very neat person and it turned out was friends with our doula (who actually didn't get there till after the birth b/c they would only let dh in the OR and no one else)

when the anesthesiologist came in, i actually recognized him from the birth of dd-- so we had a discussion about the meds, which was my hugest fear.  i felt so out of it with dd, and i have real issues with opiates... we decided i could do a fraction of the duramorph in the spinal, which is where i felt like i had problem os last time (though everyone keeps telling me that isn't so).  that ended up working out extremely well for us. 

eventually they had me walk down the hall to the OR, and i was so nervous.  i kept telling myself once the spinal was in that the worst part would be over.  and it was.  i had no bad reactions to the lighter meds, either, no shaking or anything.  i had one very horrible moment when the spinal made my blood pressure drop, but they fixed it right away somehow, and i was alert, and knew what was happening - i was totally awake. 

they let dh come in and he was wearing our birth beads, since they wouldn't let me.  we just held hands and it went pretty quickly, our awesome ob tried to drop the drape for us, but it's an awkward position being flat on one's back, so i never could see all that much.  he told the techs to put on frank sinatra and i inwardly winced.... but someone defied dr's orders b/c they put on a jimmy buffett cd~ not my favorite, but much more to our taste... and i'm outing myself as an old deadhead, but there was a magical moment right after the baby came out when the song that came on was uncle john's band, one of my favorite dead songs-- that seemed pretty special to me (even though it was jimmy buffett)

i got to see baby covered in vernix,  he had hair, too!  dd is still pretty much a baldie even at 2 yo.  it was so exciting to see him.  his cries were not shrieky like dd's were, either, he seemed much more relaxed from the beginning. 

they put him on my chest immediately as we'd asked, but again, the position of the OR table was really really awkward and i couldn't enjoy the contact b/c it was uncomfortable.  he wasn't crying while i held him though.

eventually dh took the baby briefly to the nursery so i could be sewn & then taken to recovery to rejoin them.  i had my tubes tied during the surgery! 

once back in recovery, my doula was there, and it was just nice and peaceful.  i was able to get up 5 hours later, but another bad moment was that they told me i had a few hours to pee on my own after the catheter came out and it was so hard to make that happen.  we nursed right away and everything else was pretty smooth.he never left our room- we only stayed 2 days.  this is a seriously sweet baby here..his name means gentle birth, and it was!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 3 Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM

so glad the experience turned out so well! Love that you had your tubes tied in the same surgery, lol!

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#3 of 3 Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM

Congrats on your new baby smile.gif
Happy that you were able to have the birth you wanted in those circumstances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page