Post partum woes and a request for help / advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!!!

I'm not complaining about FINALLY having my baby girl, after being almost 2 weeks late, I just didn't feel like this with DD1. With DD1 I bled a lot post partum and had some soreness where I tore but that was it. I actually remember the stitches hurting worse than anything.

This L&D was totally different though. I labored with contractions in my very lower abdomen and lower back. I didn't have an epi this time and I delivered on my knees, after pushing for an hour and a half.

For the first time in my LIFE I have hemorrhoids and they're freaking me out. What do I do????

I also have very bad lower back pain, almost like sciatica. It hurts to sit, stand, bend over, walk, etc. And I still have horrible lower abdominal pains. I developed a bit of a cough when I left the hospital and when I cough it's like I'm having a contraction right at that moment.

Plus, I feel like when I have to have a BM, I have to do it then, like I couldn't hold it if I tried which is unnerving. So basically I feel like I'm worse off now than I was when I was 9+ months pregnant! What the....?

What can I do? I'm day 5 after having sweet DD2. I'm not picking up DD1, trying not to strain myself. I rest as much as possible and just nurse and cuddle my babies while my visiting parents do cooking, dinner, etc. But I feel like I'm not recovering and some moments I'm in tears, like I'm worse than the day before.

Anyone find this to be the case? I'm sure with all things it's a matter of time but I am desperate to help the healing process along. I want to feel good again. Instead I feel broken. Thanks mamas.

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#2 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm so with you here! I have to keep reminding myself that this pain will end too! I've got stitches galore and nipple pain that makes me want to scream every time my babe latches on. AND now, ofcourse, there is a baby to care for and no sleep at night. Who knew there was something worse than being 9+ pregnant?! haha, I'm happy pregnancy is over and trying hard to focus on all this aftermath getting better!

For the hemmorhoids: you NEED witch hazel! Get some witch hazel, soak some menstrual pads and throw them in the freezer, then use as needed. Stings at first for some but then its known to work wonders!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreeRose View Post
So basically I feel like I'm worse off now than I was when I was 9+ months pregnant! What the....?

#3 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for replying. Is witch hazel available anywhere? I've never purchased it. I took a warm epsom salt bath tonight and it helped oh so much and when I looked in a mirror I only saw one little 'roid so maybe they're already going away. Warm salt pack on my back and herbal salve on the stitches... I just want to feel BETTER already. Sometimes I feel like I'm going into labor again! :(

I hope you feel better soon too!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#4 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM

I've picked up witch hazel at local drug stores like CVS or Walgreens.  I think I've even seen it in grocery stores.

Jen

Homeschooling mom to A 14, P 12, S 7, L 5 and new baby S.

#5 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 AM

I also have tucks or tux pads for hemorrhoid that have witch hazel in them. They are little round thin pads. I lay some on a pad and that helps. Though I don't have any hemorrhoid, I mainly use them if I feel extra stingy or sore.
Hugs, mama.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#6 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I think Wednesday was my worst day. I was so bummed that I wasn't getting better. Thursday was better and I bought witch hazel but haven't used it orngtongue.gif I will today. Thankful for your help and grateful to be feeling better.

#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM

Glad to hear you're feeling better! I had afterpains for over a week, along w/all the other gripes (no hemroids, but itchiness, back pain to the point nothing was comfortable, feeling like another baby's coming out upon standing, and basically feeling awful!

Keep up w/epsom salt baths, they're so healing and feel so good! You can also soak a towel in it and apply to your back or perineal area. Heating pads helped my back a bit, though ice packs would probably heal it better. Start taking arnica too if you're not already, that should help you heal and feel better. I'd go to the chiro too, for u and the babe!

The healing process is soooo unfair after being pregs so long and going through labor! 

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#8 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

It totally is unfair... it was NOT this bad with DD1 - of course I was in bed 24/7 after she was born. That's not an option this time, though I try to sit as much as possible (which mentally is driving me crazy - I'm such a doer). I'm a huge fan of witch hazel now. I feel like I get a numbing down there when I use it and I just don't feel the pain that I did before. My hips and back are still really sore and YES I feel like a baby was going to come out again!!! Sigh, I'm feeling LOTS better so I just pray the healing continues and I feel like superwoman again soon. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page