stripping membranes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I talked with my midwife about possibly stripping my membranes on Monday if baby is still not here by then.

Anyone else have experience with this? Did it work for you? Was it painful?

I am 41 weeks 5 days today will be 42w 1 day on Monday.

I am really hoping my baby will come but I am starting to really lose faith in my ability to go into labor on my own this time.

12 days overdue is really hard!!

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#2 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM

I had this done at 42 weeks last baby. It wasn't too painful, and baby arrived next day, but I don't know if it was the membrane sweep or if I would have went into labor anyway. If you are really desperate, it's worth a shot.

#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM

I hope you're having your baby now and this question is irrelevant...but my experience this time with the membrane sweep was good.  I was 41w4d when my midwife did it.  I think I was in very early prelabor already, dilated to 3 when I went in, and up to 4-5 after the sweep.  That night I had a nice strong 4.5 hour labor.  With my first baby, I had a sweep at 40w5d and it was followed by an excruciating 50 hours of back labor (but we think that was maybe because of the nuchal hand).  Overall, I would definitely get a sweep before any other type of intervention, though I might think twice about it if I was GBS+.

Good luck!  <3

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#4 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I think I will try in on Monday. My contractions stopped overnight and since I woke I feel no different. Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel like I don't have anything to lose trying it.

I hope baby will come before Monday though....

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#5 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

I had mine done at 41 weeks, and again at 41 1/2 weeks. I went into labor the day after the second one. Though, I did do other things to move thing along, as well. My thought was if I'm not ready, nothing will happen. And if I am close, it might bump things along.

Not sure if it helped, but I don't think it hurt.

Pain wise, it was a bit of pressure, and a little discomfort. It probably took her a whole minute or so to do.

I kind of detail everything in my birth story. And I don't feel bad about trying to nudge things. I had my son at 41+5, and now knowing how big he was, every extra day in there mattered.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#6 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 PM

I'm knowing how you're feeling HumbleLuna. 42 weeks today. Fortunately, things look so good still that my midwife is giving me until next Friday before we see the OB. I'll see her on Thursday if baby hasn't made his appearance by then. I'll definitely consider a membrane sweep and castor oil induction attempt by Thursday, but I haven't had any exams thus far. I have no idea what my body has or hasn't done, and I usually don't do well with exams but definitely think it will be worth it to avoid the hospital and possible hospital induction. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#7 of 7 Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 AM

I'm 43 weeks yesterday according to LMP but about 41 weeks according to an ultrasound we got done at the 42 week mark. My midwife stripped mine on Thursday - it definitely wasn't pleasant, but nothing too bad just practiced my relaxed deep breathing :) had some bloody show at the time and have continued to lose large amounts of mucus over the past 3 days but no contractions or baby... :(  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page