How much is your baby sleeping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 10 days old, and he sleeps so much. I know newborns sleep a lot, but I don't remember it being THIS much. He sleeps with me, and I am guilty of letting him sleep on his side. Wondering if this is making him sleep too hard. 

And he easily has several 3-4 hour stretches a day. And I had to wake him up last night to nurse him. It was 5 am and he had last nursed at 11pm. 

How is every one else's babies sleeping?

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#2 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM

I've been blessed with good newborn sleepers both times...like 22 hours a day, and crazy long stretches of night sleep.  How is his weight gain?  My kiddos both piled on weight really fast, so our dr advised not to worry.  He also advised: do NOT wake 'em up at night to feed (again, if weight gain is not an issue), enjoy it while it lasts (and it only lasted until 4 months with DD!), and don't tell other new moms the truth about how much your baby sleeps.  winky.gif

fwiw, I co-sleep with DS too, and I also let him sleep on his side, with his bottom arm and leg positioned such that it would be hard for him to roll onto his belly.  Didn't do that with DD and she slept even harder than he does.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#3 of 13 Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM

we cosleep any which way is comfortable.  my little girl was born long and skinny... now she's 3 weeks old and all fattened up.  she seems to have settled into a schedule where she's only nursing somewhere between 2 and 5 hours apart.  last night was easy and i was up 4x with her, nursing and burping and pottying.  she's starting to get longer periods of awake during the day, but she never stays up for a whole block between nursings.  she's a good eater and a good sleeper, and i'm one blessed mama.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#4 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM

My baby is the exact same way, she sleeps 4-6 hours at night. I wasn't worried because she was nursing about every 2 hours but yesterday she barely nursed and slept a ton! The day before she barely slept and nursed a ton. We co sleep too and she sleeps on her side. She even rolled over to her side once when I put her in the bassinet. She gained a bunch of weight at first and weighed almost a pound over her birth weight by one week, just hoping that she's keeping up the pace with the changes in her eating habits.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#5 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM

As long as he's gaining weight I say let him sleep and try to get your sleep in too! 10 days is not unheard of for a baby to sleep through the night. Feel blessed! If he's NOT gaining weight... then I'd say you should still be waking him up.

My son, 2.5 weeks old, has been sleeping 4 hour stretches since he was about a week. HTH

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#6 of 13 Old 03-11-2012, 05:29 AM

My baby is sleeping so much too and I feel blessed! However her longest stretches are mostly during the day. Sigh. So should I start waking her during the day in the hopes she switches ?

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#7 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM

@Treerose... I would if I were you. I need my sleep and with a 4 year old, there's no naps for me. 

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#8 of 13 Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maternalove View Post

@Treerose... I would if I were you. I need my sleep and with a 4 year old, there's no naps for me. 

I did yesterday and last night was awful! But it was a bad day with the toddler too so who knows. The sleep was less today and she's calmly sleeping now (swaddled which I think helps). I'm hoping we have transitioned to night sleeping with just the one rough night. Last night she was fussy and fitful for 5 hours. Then we slept 12-4 and she was awake til 6 and I had to get up then so I'm desperate for more sleep!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#9 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM

You poor thing! Yes, when we started swaddling DS at night(I don't swaddle him during the day so he'll startle awake more often) we went from 3-4 hour stretches to one 5-6 hour stretch and one 4 hour stretch! I think swaddling is a from of torture but he seems to LOVE it... LOL

Just wondering, do you co-sleep or twilight nurse? It's been really helpful for me then he can basically comfort nurse at his leisure and hear my heart beat and be close and he sleeps better. I only do this after he wakes up for the first time so I at least get a few hours in a deep sleep (if there is such a thing as a new mom, haha)

Hang in there, it gets better!

#10 of 13 Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM

DD1 would not swaddle but this baby loves it. It helps a lot. I get 3-5 hours straight the first half of the night. She's cosleeping and nursing the second half of the night which sometimes exhausts me but other times I doze through it and it doesn't feel bad. Things are going more smoothly with this baby thank God. smile.gif

#11 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM

My little guy is 7 weeks and still sleeps a ton. He nurses on demand (every 1-2 hrs throughout the day) and typically falls asleep, then sleeps in the sling. At night he wakes twice or three times to nurse (we co-sleep the whole night). His periods of being awake are maybe 30 minutes or so at a time? He has been awake for about 2 hrs from 7-9pm the last few nights though, so maybe he's finally "waking up". I was also shocked (and still am) by how much he sleeps. But he's over 12lbs already, was 8.8 at birth. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#12 of 13 Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanoish View Post

My little guy is 7 weeks and still sleeps a ton. He nurses on demand (every 1-2 hrs throughout the day) and typically falls asleep, then sleeps in the sling. At night he wakes twice or three times to nurse (we co-sleep the whole night). His periods of being awake are maybe 30 minutes or so at a time? He has been awake for about 2 hrs from 7-9pm the last few nights though, so maybe he's finally "waking up". I was also shocked (and still am) by how much he sleeps. But he's over 12lbs already, was 8.8 at birth. 

this sounds so much like my daughter who is now 5 weeks. Sometimes I feel like as soon as she is awake, she is ready to be put to sleep again. I usually get about 30 minutes out of her, unless I prolong it by giving her a bath or something similar. but all her day sleeping doesn't seem to be affecting her night sleeping, she wakes about 3 times which seems actually on the low side for a newborn. enjoying this stage while it lasts.

Katie, wife to the one, mother to Henry and Ruby.
#13 of 13 Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

It's nice to see everyone's babes are sleeping quite a bit, or all over the place, too. My son has his days of a lot of sleep, and his days where you can hardly put him down. I've had enough days to not worry about it anymore. It's seems like he cycles between the two every couple of days. I just hate when I get several let downs a day while he is still sleeping. Makes me feel like he is missing a feeding.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page