Mastitis? already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am only 7 days PP and I think I have Mastitis! I have been in bed all week recovering from the hemorrhage and now I have a fever of 101.7 and really sore painful breasts. I have the chills and feel weak and have had Mastitis before that went away on its own without antibiotics. But I got very sore nipples this time with blisters and I think that is how I got this :( from a bad latch.

Any tips on how to clear this up a.s.a.p? Being anemic is hard enough without having a flu like symptoms on top of it. Yuck!

Thanks Mamas!

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 PM

I had a 101.6 fever while my milk came in.  It felt very much like mastitis.   (I too had bleeding nipples at the end of the first week.)

I hand expressed in the shower as best I could and WAY loaded up on vitamin C and used pulsatilla and phytolacca decandra, plus took soy lecithin.  Hope this helps!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 5 Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM

I have had mastitis that quickly before too- and it sucks.  Here is what you need- high vitamin C like the pp said- I like rose hip tea for this.  Hot showers or better yet a hot soak in the tub.  Garlic and echinechea.  And some cabbage leave for the red spots.  Lanolin for the nipples.  And rest and bf and rest and bf.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 5 Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 AM

i've just taken antibiotics for it, and tried to nurse/pump as much as possible.  i feel like mastitis makes you feel so horrible and it's not something to mess around with.  i have a friend who had to have more invasive stuff done (i want to say lancing?  ) simply because it can progress if you don't treat it.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 5 Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

I have had mastitis 6 times and my daughter is just now three months!  I have no idea what is going on....  

But, this is what I have figured out that works for me....

goldenseal- a dropperful every 4 hours, even at night

emergenCs throughout the day

hot compresses as often as possible, massage and express milk afterwards

focusing a jet of water (such as the massage function on a handheld shower head) on the lump

other immune support like echinachea obviously can't hurt

All this and it clears it up in about 24 hrs.  I run a high fever so I also take fever reducer so I can function.

Rest is important too, as if it was really that possible with little ones!  Oh, and nurse, nurse, nurse!

I saw that this thread was a bit old after I started my response so you have I'm sure figured out and dealt with whatever was causing you grief... but I just wanted to pass this along anyway since it works so well for me!  Mastitis sucks.. you can't have enough good ideas in your arsenal, especially if you want to stay away from antibiotics!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page