Sleeping issues- grunting and "swimming" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My lovely baby seems to have issues sleeping at night.  During the day he sleeps calmly, without movement or noise, but at night it's all grunting and noises, with a LOT of movement... even when he's swaddled tightly, he manages to escape and basically swims with his arms and legs. He sleeps in the basinette at night, but in the morning after my husband leaves at 7am, he comes into bed, and it doesn't seem to matter. I spent a lot of time jumping up and down, trying to decide whether to pull him out and feed him- often to get him all set up for 3 minutes of feeding before he's back asleep again. 

Night time feedings are also rather panicked a lot of the time- with grunting and shrieking as he feeds. 

Any tips?  Anyone else experiencing this?  I'm just not sure if this is normal or what to do?  He's getting enough to eat, and growing like a madman, but the upset sleeping is not good for anyone, I assume. 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM

I have a noisy sleeper too.  He grunts, groans, snorts, makes horselips sounds, shrieks, and sleep cries.  He also flails his arms and legs.  Sometimes he wakes himself up with his movements.  I know he keeps me up with his movements and sounds!  My ped said a newborns can be very noisy sleepers and it's nothing to worry about.  

Are you getting engorged at night that would be causing him stress (difficult latching, hard/fast letdown) when nursing?  Does he really not want to eat?  My little guy confuses me a lot, especially at night.  I'll offer, he'll root around but then get mad...like it's not what he wants.  Other times he'll root around and latch on.  

In anycase, you're not alone!

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#3 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Momma2Kai,

For the nights, he's latching and sucking, and definitely getting milk (there's lots of spit up and oh my god the diapers), but while he's nursing, it's like it's a trial... he's hooting and groaning and complaining.  Sometimes he detaches, sometimes he just makes noises through the session. 

Last night he only did 10 minutes per session, but usually it's closer to 15-20... I just feel like it's difficult, and I'm not sure what to do about it. 

Either way, I'm up and standing above his basinette watching him to see whether it's time to take him to nurse or not... I'm going to try and convince my husband that it's officially time to attach the darn thing to the bed, if only to keep me from hopping up and down 10x per night!

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#4 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM

A few questions... Is he arching his back with all the crazy arm and leg movement? Does he take a binky? Where does he sleep during the day? Does he spit up a lot during the day as well? Do you twilight nurse or get up and hold him?

A few things it may be, days and nights mixed up, reflux, or maybe he just wants to comfort nurse.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM

sounds like you have a cosleeper... arms reach perhapse? I woudn't bother attaching it to the bed, he can't roll just yet and even if he could the rail is still high enough that he wouldn't roll out. Just move it next to the bed, that's how I have mine. Unless you're super worried he will roll in his sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGR View Post

Either way, I'm up and standing above his basinette watching him to see whether it's time to take him to nurse or not... I'm going to try and convince my husband that it's officially time to attach the darn thing to the bed, if only to keep me from hopping up and down 10x per night!

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Maternalove,

There's no back arching, it's all arms and leg movements, particularly if we try to swaddle him- then it's kick kick kick until the swaddle is gone.  

We haven't tried a binky yet- I actually just went out and bought one this afternoon, and will try tonight if it works.  

During the day he sleeps in a combination of basinette and sometimes a baby papizan rocking chair, or just in our arms... we've had a lot of visitors who just want to hold him a lot, so there's a lot of sleeping that way, unfortunately.  My mother in law in particular, who has been staying with us this week, does NOT want to put him anywhere but the papizan during the day. She's convinced and obsessed with his gas, and "immature" system, and so thinks this is the way to solve it.  I am just too tired and overwhelmed to continue to fight her on it, since every time I turn my back anyway, he's back in the chair. 

He does spit up a lot.  Probably about after 1/2 of the feedings, and definitely more often after feedings that are sort of frantic in nature. 

I'm hoping it's not days and nights mixed up. I've been working to try and get more noise during the day and no lights on at night, just enough light to get him latched on. I also try to side lie nurse at night (if I can get a good latch), and nurse in a chair while talking to him during the day. He usually nurses with eyes closed at night and open during the day, so that's good. I think I need to change him before nursing rather than after, because I think changing after nursing just wakes him up again when he's been nursed to sleep. 

Thanks for your comment :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maternalove View Post

A few questions... Is he arching his back with all the crazy arm and leg movement? Does he take a binky? Where does he sleep during the day? Does he spit up a lot during the day as well? Do you twilight nurse or get up and hold him?

A few things it may be, days and nights mixed up, reflux, or maybe he just wants to comfort nurse.

#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 PM

1/2 of your feedings... that's not really a lot sounds pretty normal as long as it's not like 2 oz of spit up. Maybe a swaddle suit thing that velcros would be better b/c they can't get out of those things? LOTS OF BURPING!!!! People say you don't have to burp a breastfed baby but you do!!!! Especially if the latch and detach and latch and detach and make a lot of noise while feeding b/c it generally means they are swallowing a lot of air. I couldn't imagine it's "gas" if he's spitting up. Gas usually look like this: baby pulling legs to chest and screaming for what appears no other reason and a very hard tummy. 

Do you eat anything or take any supplements before bed that you don't take any other time of the day? I more than likely sounds like he just want's to comfort nurse so you may have good luck with the binky! Hope you get something figured out soon. If I come across anything in my books I'll be sure to let you know. Good luck!

#8 of 8 Old 03-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maternalove View Post

sounds like you have a cosleeper... arms reach perhapse? I woudn't bother attaching it to the bed, he can't roll just yet and even if he could the rail is still high enough that he wouldn't roll out. Just move it next to the bed, that's how I have mine. Unless you're super worried he will roll in his sleep.

Sorry to derail, but my arm's reach co sleeper is in the bassinet setting and not attached to the bed yet because we don't have a bedframe (just a mattress on top of the box spring on the floor) so we can't get the height correct yet. I got excited at the idea that I can just set it up next to the bed but she's been rolling over since 2 weeks (almost a month now). I wonder if there's a way to keep her from rolling out if its not attached in the co sleeper setting...

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page