Starting the elimination diet today. Anyone else having sensitivity issues? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

sorry about the challenges you all are having but i can totally relate.

she was fussy from 3-7 weeks then took a break from it and has had a day of fussy here and there since.  she's 9.5 weeks now.  here's what we have been doing...

clearly, i had overabundant milk supply and overactive let down.  but, i didn't figure this out at first b/c i was reading about colic and reflux, at first.  that lead me to info about overabundant milk supply and we had everything on that list!  so, i started block nursing immediately to reduce my supply.  i had worked hard to build up my supply b/c i have never had a strong one with my other kids, not a low supply but just not a lot.  so, i would nurse on one side all morning into the afternoon.  then afternoon to evening i would nurse the other side.  then through the night, i would switch back to the other side.  i would hand express a bit just into a cloth on the other bursting side that i wasn't nursing on.  i took a "happy ducts' herbal remedy from wish garden to help prevent a plugged duct or mastitis while doing this.  i nursed her in an upright position, basically she was sitting on my lap with by knee and hand supporting her.  we'd also do what maternalove recommended with the laid back breastfeeding so her mouth was on top.  these things helped with gravity.  i would unlatch her when i had let down and let it shoot into a cloth so it wouldn't overwhelm her.  i would had express once or twice and then latch back on.  this really helped. 

she always has to be burped.

a massage therapist friend who was at my birth taught me baby tummy massage.  this helped her pass gas.  we do it at least once daily sometimes twice or three times.  it helps her relax and be calm, too.  she loves it and hubby and i feel so connected to her while doing it. 

we let her be diaper free a lot b/c she doesn't like to poop in her diaper.  maybe a little bit of EC, i'd say.  she's almost always diaper free during the massages. 

when she is freaking out inconsolable, we hold her and rock her and pat her back.  we wear her in the ergo and the sling all the time.  for meds, we have used the colic herbal remedy from wish garden, cocyntal colic relief from bioron and just used gripe water for the first time last night.  these help but usually they are very temporary relief. 

RE: elimination

I am dairy free and gluten free.  i am vegetarian.  i eat eggs but don't see her responding to them, clearly.  i began to drink coffee, again after she was born but gave it up rather quickly for both our sakes.  just didn't need that in my life.  i have given up most caffeine but find little bits of chocolate sometimes do jump into my mouth.  i'll be giving it up entirely now though.  i had a chocolate chip cookie yesterday and believe that was part of what bothered her.  i also wonder about gassy foods like peppers and onions so am taking those out as of today.  i am curious about corn and her response to it.  also, curious about eggs but haven't seen anything yet in her response; i only eat them for breakfast and her fussing usually started later in the day.  yesterday was a super fussy and uncomfortable day for her which is why i am thinking about all of this, again.  i didn't have any eggs but did have peppers, grits, a choco cookie throughout the day. 

more later...off to nurse.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#32 of 32 Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow Gunter, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad things are going better for you.

My milk supply has stabilized and we're doing much better over here. I ended up going back on all foods as the elimination diet never produced any improvement. I've only had a small oversupply on a couple days and she has only been fussy when she needs to make a bm, or she gets gassy. We don't even  have to block nurse anymore. It's fantastic! It's like a whole new life when you have a happy baby. 

Thanks so much for all your help and support, everyone. It makes a world of difference to have it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page