Starting the elimination diet today. Anyone else having sensitivity issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lizzie has been having a rough go of it. She is having a lot of belly pain and it's made it difficult for either of us to sleep for very long. I can't sleep for anything less than an hour and a half or I get crazy (terrible temper), so I have been getting 2-4 hours a day for the last couple weeks. I eliminated dairy two weeks ago and haven't seen any improvement at all, so I'm starting the elimination diet tomorrow to see if I can't pinpoint the problem. 

I got some gripe water a couple days ago and that's making a big difference, but I have to keep her on it 24 hours a day because she's in so much pain :(

Just wondering if anyone else is having any food sensitivity issues with their new LO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Hi, I'm not having trouble with my new baby... but my 4.75yo had/has alot of problems processing food and chemicals so we've been around and around and around the block with her.  She started reacting at 1 day old and it changed my life.  What are you eating on your elimination diet?  Does she have ANY latch issues?

Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing the diet recommended by Dr Sears. That's the one I did with my DS when he was a babe and it worked well. I had to put off starting it until tomorrow because we were out of the house too long today and I had to eat :( So, officially starting tomorrow. 

The first week of her life she wasn't pulling enough tissue into her mouth, and now sometimes she messes around before she latches on. She'll stick her tongue out and suck with just her lips touching the tip of my nipple. Sometimes when she latches on she doesn't open wide and will pull my nipple through her gums, which HURTS, but once she is on  her latch is perfect and she's pulling plenty of tissue in now. She's nursing often and seems eager (isn't avoiding it). She comfort nurses as well. While we're on the subject, I do have a pretty hard let-down and for a good while she gulps after each suck (maybe 20 gulps or so). I did have a serious over supply issue, but I've been able to calm that down with block nursing. I was leaving puddles in the bed with the side that wasn't being nursed, but now she's taking both sides at every feeding. Before she was too full to take the second side and I didn't feel like the first side was completely empty. I was suspicious that my over supply was the issue, but I haven't seen any improvement at all in her tummy issues now that my supply is more regulated.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM

Being out and about is so hard when you're eliminating (most) foods.  My LO has trouble with her latch and I have overactive letdown (even though I've been blockfeeding since the first day), so I suspect that is the main cause of her minor colicky behavior.  

Good luck with the TED, that is where I started with my 4.75yo too... we went down to chicken and rice and pears and squash and olive oil.  But it turned out she couldn't tolerate my base diet, and I had to switch things up until I found something that worked.  I hope your journey is easier than mine.  

How is your gut health?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM

hug.gif  i feel for you, mama. 

luckily for us, this february baby is dairy/belly issue free but with dd we went through the most horrible time.  i did the elimination diet then, and we never figured out what it was, exactly.  i did, however, end up slim and with an appreciation for things that weren't sweet potatoes or turkey.

i think it was dairy for her partially, but at 6 mos, she stopped reacting to what was in my breastmilk, her diapers & skin cleared up, and at 1 year she could eat small and occasional helpings of yogurt and now at 2 1/2 she can eat any dairy and in any frequency.

i guess my point is that your baby will eventually, hopefully, grow out of the problems.  good luck, hope you have success figuring it out.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Sigh. We are having MAJOR issues. I know I have TONS of milk but he is spitting up like at least 2 or more ounces. He's not gaining any weight. We battled thrush and all I was eating was lettuce with olive oil and apple cider vinegar and chicken. To no avail he still spit up. So we are on zantac. He hates it and spits most of that up too, so he's STILL not gaining weight. 

Anyway, DD had very similar issues to what you are describing, we never figured out what it was but she also did grow out of it between 6 and 9 is months. I should have bought stock in gripe water!

I did a lot of twilight nursing with her, otherwise I would have never gotten any sleep.  I hope you figure it out soon. Let us know what happens.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 AM

I've *almost* started an elimination diet a few times now.  DD2 goes through periods where she is really gassy, spitting up a ton, and not gaining to periods where she's totally fine.  I can't fine any rhyme or reason but each time I decide that I'm going to start eliminating things everything clears up again.  The only pattern I notice is that each time she has a cold she also seems to have tummy troubles.  But, maybe that's wishful thinking... I HATE the idea of messing with my diet even further.  I love dairy and rely on it everyday.  Same with beans and veggies. 

How's it going GoddessKristie?  MaternaLove?

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM

I've cut out every thing green and dairy for almost 2 weeks now :(.  I noticed the green veggies effecting her first.  As I don't eat green veggies every day.  The dairy it took me a while to figure out.  I now crave cheese lol.  I started noticing a difference about day 4 of cutting it from my diet.  I know for sure it's the dairy because she was accidentally given a bottle that had been pumped before I gave up dairy.  And she cried ALL day. 

It sucks but I hoping I can add back in dairy slowly when she gets a bit older.  It's so worth not having her in so much pain every night.

Stephanie
Momma to Gavin (3/24/09), Heart broken 6/13/10, TTC
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Things are going OK so far. She had a really good day Tuesday, but Wednesday wasn't as good. I'm not sure if it's connected yet or not, but I have been feeling like my supply is going down, but late Tuesday and Wednesday I was leaking again. And Wednesday she was fussy again. This morning my breasts feel much less full, so I'm anxious to see how today goes. 

I feel like I have to stick with the diet at this point, though. If I quit I'll wonder every time she fusses.

Mtnmama, my gut health is fine, I think. I've never had any issues, but we did have ampicillin during birth, which I worry about. 

It sounds like your in a frustrating situation! Have you considered trying a food diary to find the culprit? 

Hildare, thank you for the support and encouragement. I hope you're right! I'm glad to hear you are belly issue free! 

ETA: I'm so thankful for all the simple food options! We have cereal, milk and chips I can eat. What do you guys think about throwback sodas? The ones with real sugar instead of corn syrup, do you think other ingredients could cause problems?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephr_k View Post

I've cut out every thing green and dairy for almost 2 weeks now :(.  I noticed the green veggies effecting her first.  As I don't eat green veggies every day.  The dairy it took me a while to figure out.  I now crave cheese lol.  I started noticing a difference about day 4 of cutting it from my diet.  I know for sure it's the dairy because she was accidentally given a bottle that had been pumped before I gave up dairy.  And she cried ALL day. 

It sucks but I hoping I can add back in dairy slowly when she gets a bit older.  It's so worth not having her in so much pain every night.

I had to take out dairy for a while with my first, that first glass of ice cold milk was so good when I added it back in. I'm looking forward to it this time, too! It sounds like you were able to pinpoint them pretty quickly, that's great! 

I totally agree with it being worth it. I get comments from my mom about how I should just try to find another way around it. I feel like no measure is too far for me to go for my baby's health and comfort. It also makes me feel a bit sad about the implications to her feelings about me when she says that, but that's another story.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Maternalove, it sounds like your issue could be oversupply. That can cause spitting up, too and if the Zantac isn't fixing it I wonder if it's not addressing the wrong issue.  Here's some good info about that: http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html Let me know what you think.

I hope we get this figured out before 6 months!! I need to be functional and there are a lot of things I need to do around the house that I'm not comfortable wearing her for. I get about 3 minutes when I put her down before she screams again and Daddy just isn't good enough. Thankfully we're sleeping at night now. That makes everything easier. 

Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Well we had another weight check yesterday and he gained 11 oz in 12 days! YAY finally gaining, but we are still in newborn everything at almost 6 weeks. LOL I finally caved and got the nystatin for his yeast rash. We got it mostly under control but need a little extra something to kick this last bit. 

I totally feel you on the not wanting to wear babe for certin things around the house... like cooking! Or cleaning the shower. Sigh. Things are looking up here. Hope they are for you as well.

Proud wife to DH, mommy to DD 11/23/07, our little rainbow1284.gif baby boy 2/19/12. We vbac.gifnocirc.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif.femalesling.GIF

namaste.gif   *****Remember to love your boobies once a month!*** ribbonpink.gif

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Congrats Maternalove!!!!  You must feel very relieved!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Oh yes, it scary to think about getting that horrid "Failure to Thrive" label. 

Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Great news, Maternalove! I'm glad to hear that. 

We've been off dairy for 3 weeks now, so we're trying it out. I started with sheep's milk cheese yesterday and that seemed just fine, so today I ate about 2oz of grassfed cow's cheese. That was at about 1:30-2:00 and now she's comfort nursing non-stop and when I take her off the breast she screams and roots until she's back on. Has it been enough time that I can count this as a dairy reaction? When should I expect too see changes in her BMs? 

ETA: OK, there's a chance she was just too hot. I took the cover off of her and she seems better now. Quiet and not nursing. I'll update again later. redface.gif

Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still eating dairy and we're having a great day today! She hasn't been fussing at all, not even when she makes a bm!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM

YAY! for happy babies!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Things have been going really great, but tonight she wont stop nursing. I've barely slept at all because 3 minutes after I move away from her she is fussing and doesn't calm again until she's nursing again. The only time she has slept for any length of time is on my lap.  She's not screaming or acting like she's in pain like she was before, she just seems super needy. We've been back on dairy for 3 days now. I'm not really sure how to interpret this. Or how to get any sleep.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post

Things have been going really great, but tonight she wont stop nursing. I've barely slept at all because 3 minutes after I move away from her she is fussing and doesn't calm again until she's nursing again. The only time she has slept for any length of time is on my lap.  She's not screaming or acting like she's in pain like she was before, she just seems super needy. We've been back on dairy for 3 days now. I'm not really sure how to interpret this. Or how to get any sleep.

I can't remember how old your little girl is, but is a 6 week growth spurt possible?

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

She's six weeks on Saturday so it's possible, but she's acting like her tummy hurts. I also just started leaking a few minutes ago, so I'm suspicious it's my supply again. Gah!  

Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Geez, and to think I thought I was having a rough go of nursing with thrush and reflux. 

Sounds weird but take her diaper off and curl her legs up to her tummy it she toots, it could just be gas. Which may or may not be the diary. Remember their little digestive systems are still immature. If it is the case, if you're not opposed to it, some gripe water could help get you some sleep.

What's the update for today?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I do not envy your thrush! I hear that is really difficult and can even be painful. 

She's been sleeping a lot today. She was fussy earlier but then made a big bm and has been sleeping a lot ever since. When she's up she's been fussing. We had a pretty good night last night. We were late to bed because she was fussing a lot, but then she went down around 12 and woke about 4 times between then and 10 when we got up (thankfully, DS came in and fell asleep with us and we were all able to sleep in together). I'm leaking A LOT today. While nursing her this morning on the right side my left side leaked a bunch and I didn't notice until I had a wet spot 6" wide all the way to my hip. I grabbed an infant prefold and stuffed it in there and when she was done nursing it was good and damp. I'm still block nursing so I don't really get why there's such an over supply! I wasn't leaking this much yesterday and I block nursed all day, but my supply increased?

I've tried the foot thing you suggested on several occasions. My girlfriend had a lot of luck with that, but I didn't have any. She wouldn't pass any gas at all when I tried it. I have been giving her gripe water when she is in so much pain she can't be comforted. It does help. I'm not a big fan of giving her anything, but I can't just let her suffer when she's hurting.

I haven't been religious about the probiotics, but I have been giving them to her. I'll try to be better about it. 

I'm just frustrated because she had several great days and I was feeling like things might be back to normal, but now we're right back to where we started.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM

I have the oversupply issues too. DS only ever takes one side per feeding. Have you experimented with nursing up hill? It helps with the gulping.

What all have you introduced back on the dr sears diet. (hint, watch the soy, it's in EVERYTHING) Dh is sensitive to soy and sometimes it's a chore to find soy free food.

Also is she arching at all or just crying?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not at two weeks on the diet yet, so I have only introduced the milk back in, it had been 3 weeks, so I am having grassfed dairy only. My DS is sensitive to soy as well and he reacted to milk and meat from animals fed soy, so I'm only having grassfed. I had some sheep's milk on Saturday, then cow's milk on Sunday and every day since. She was completely fine until yesterday. i thought it was the dairy at first, but then I started leaking and that's the only thing that consistently matches up with days she's hurting.

She doesn't arch, but she does kick her legs and pull them up really hard. 

Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM

I know it's a pain in the butt b/c you can't multi-taks but try nursing reclined and /or laying down tummy to tummy with her. I think that might help a lot. Be sure to give your breast a good massage after to prevent clogged ducts.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I will give that a try today. When we nurse side-lying at night she still gulps, and same goes for nursing with her in my lap. I sit with a knee up so she's even with my breast, but she still gulps. Maybe reclined will make a difference.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

So, I really wanna go off the elimination diet now. Do you guys think I have enough evidence to do so? 

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM

It's hard to say, if you did it would be a lot of hard work out the window. Let me ask you, do your bad days with her follow a day where she comfort nurses a lot? If so, I would probably say it's a let down issue. You could also hand express or pump for a few min before you nurse to see if that takes the edge off and keeps her from gulping. 

Honestly, it's sounds more like she's taking in air if she's gulping. The only thing that confuses me is her crying during a BM. Maybe it's the pressure from the gas , from the gulping, that's causing the pain during the BM...

I'd say give it a day or 2 more to see if you can find the EXACT trigger before giving up on the diet.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

The day I started leaking this week she was comfort nursing a good bit the day before. Then she was comfort nursing  that night and my supply increased yesterday a lot. Last night she was doing the same. I tried giving her a pacifier after an hour, but that woke her up more. I ended up putting her in her swing and she slept there for most of the night. I hate feeling like I can't meet her needs, even if it's for her own good. 

She hasn't nursed much today. We had a busy day and she sleeps a lot when I'm wearing her or when we're in the car.When she's been awake she's bee pretty good. I would call it an OK day. Hopefully my supply dropped enough that we'll have a great day tomorrow.

I tried nursing her lying down yesterday and when I could today (twice). She was still gulping, though. If there was a difference it was slight. I'm interested to see if it helps when my supply is down a bit more. She doesn't fuss when she's making the bm, it's before she makes it, when it's working it's way down. Sometimes I can hear her guts gurgling before she makes one.She always seems relieved after she makes one.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM

My LO was acting colicky and not sleeping well night or day... but I found two things that helped us.  First, I started her on infant probiotics from www.CustomProbiotics.com.  That fixed the colic and I just dose her 2x a week (because with only 1x a week it wore off and the colic returned).  Second, I started taking this combo melatonin-sunthreanine-5-HTP http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Factors-Stress-Relax-Tranquil-Chewable/dp/B000OBY4MU at bedtime- just a half tab, and it lets us both sleep at night, and has totally helped her sleep during the day.  Between the two interventions, she's not nursing as often, she's sleeping longer blocks, and there's way fewer pukes.  Glad something is working... not much helped my first daughter except for massive food eliminations.  This said, I've been on a restricted diet for 4.75 years... we eat homegrown and wild meat, homegrown eggs, homegrown goat milk products, bananas and pineapple, limited white rice and potato and tapioca, celery and bell pepper and spinach and fresh tomato and zucchini.  I think that's all!

User Tag List