Do you miss our DDC and want to have a future place to keep in touch? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Should we try to continue our DDC in another forum?
Yes, create a social group. 10 83.33%
Yes, other forum 2 16.67%
No, I've moved on 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I miss our DDC!  I loved coming here to express my fears, complaints, and excitements, hear what was going on with others and offer help when I could.  And, I just liked having a place to chat. 

I keep checking in here but it's usually pretty empty.  I suspect many of us are mourning with AdalinesMama for her baby Charles.  And, most of what I could write now seems superficial and potentially callous in light of her terrible tragedy.  But it was also pretty empty around here before then. 

I think there is so much that's fun to chat about and so much to come as our little ones grow big and I'd like to stay in touch with you all-- -first teeth, first words, most annoying habits, annoying things strangers have said to you (I have some good ones for this thread!), sunblock preferences, breastfeeding, making baby food, sex, birth control, siblings, etc...

So, I thought I'd ask:  should we create a social group or some other forum so we can all stay in touch or have we all moved on?  I'm asking it as a poll to facilitate all those one-handed typists but please post a comment too to keep the thread at the top as well as make the decision. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#2 of 21 Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM

I'm heartbroken for AdalinesMama.... there is not a day that goes by where I don't think of her family.  I think it would be great if we can have an indexable forum with realtime chat... preferably not on FB.  We need each other.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 21 Old 05-15-2012, 03:59 PM

I miss our ddc and would love a social group smile.gif
#4 of 21 Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsley View Post

I miss our DDC!  I loved coming here to express my fears, complaints, and excitements, hear what was going on with others and offer help when I could.  And, I just liked having a place to chat. 

I keep checking in here but it's usually pretty empty.  I suspect many of us are mourning with AdalinesMama for her baby Charles.  And, most of what I could write now seems superficial and potentially callous in light of her terrible tragedy.  But it was also pretty empty around here before then. 

I would like a group too. I feel the same about Adalinemama's loss and complaining about something trivial. Her heartbreaking story is on my mind a lot and keeps me being thankful for my lo everyday. But I also have some little issues, especially as a first time mom, and would like to be able to discuss it with others whose babes are in the same age.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#5 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM

I would love to  see how all our babes are doing,

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#6 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM

I whole heartedly agree with everyone above. Would love to chat, but feel awkward coming on here for something trivial.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#7 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM

i miss you all and i like playing on the interwebs, so yes. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#8 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM

I couldn't have said it better, Parsley! I miss our DDC and chatting, but mourn for Adalinemama's and Charlie and feel awkward about trivialities.  I think either a social group or another forum would be excellent. 

1st baby, born 2/25/12. femalesling.GIF. Married to environmentalist treehugger.gif husband, trying to stay calm and trust my body. namaste.gif

#9 of 21 Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Same feelings as everyone else.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#10 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

Seems like the current consensus is a social group.  It's certainly the easiest to set up and it should make it pretty simple for other DDC members to catch back up whenever they see this thread. 

We need to decide if we want the group to be open or closed.  And, we need to have (a minimum) of two group leaders.  I volunteer to be one.  Who else is willing?  If we make the group open it seems like the commitment is really minimal. 

Here's some info on social groups that I found:

Social Groups can be Open or Closed:

Open Membership: Anyone may join by clicking the "Join" button.

Closed Membership: Membership is by approval. Clicking the join button initiates a PM to the Group Leader requesting membership. The Group Leader must approve all new members.

How To Start a Social Group

Read the information, guidelines, and rules below.

Post to this thread to propose a new Social Group and apply to be its leader. In your post, include the name of the Social Group and whether it will be open or closed. Each group should have two volunteer group leaders.

How Social Groups Work

Social Groups are moderated by a Social Group Leader. Group Leaders are responsible for upholding the integrity of a group by making sure that participation by members follows the User Agreement

Each Social Group will have its own forum and the group page will list the members of the group and include a "Join" button to allow new members to join.

All content in all Social Groups is visible to the public, but only group members may contribute content and participate. For example, only members of the "Minnesota Natural Birthers" group can post in the "Minnesota Natural Birthers" group forum or upload photos to its gallery.

How to Use Social Groups

After you've joined one or more Groups, they'll show up in a box on your profile page. When you tag Groups, they can be promoted as "Related Groups" in relevant areas of the site in the same way that Related Forum Threads and Related Articles now appear in the right column of various pages.

Group Leaders

Group Leaders are the members in charge of a Social Group; the member who creates a Group is the first Lead and may appoint additional Group Leaders.

What can a Group Leader do?

Receive join requests (for closed groups) and approve or deny them.

Edit the Group description and change the thumbnail image.

Ban a member, making it impossible for that member to re-join the Group.

Remove images from the shared gallery.

Send a PM to all members at once.

Promote other members to Group Leader (there can be more than one leader in the same Group).

Demote him/herself to a regular Group member.

What a Group Leader can’t do?

Change the name of the Group 

Demote another Leader back to a regular member (this must be done by the member or a Mothering Administrator).

Act as a moderator within the Group forum (e.g., delete/edit others' posts and threads, etc.).

#11 of 21 Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM

huh.  i guess i prefer having a closed group off site.  i'm not that interested in having the world able to access our ups and downs, whether or not they are able to comment.

it's too hard to stay connected and real without privacy (and with having to submit to a UA).

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#12 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM

I agree with all of the above too!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#13 of 21 Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Yes - voted and still here too, though finding it tough to type these days!

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#14 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

I hear you mtn.mama-- but it seems like to much to make the switch at this point!  It's sort of a ghost town around here now.  We probably should have started a yahoogroups or something back in December when we were all still around!  I'm still open to it but we need some groundswell of support :)

For a social group...   Is there someone else willing to volunteer to be the other group leader?????

#15 of 21 Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Well if no one else is going to volunteer, I'll do it Parsley.

#16 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ramzubo! 

I'll post a request to start the group soon.  It seems from these conversations that those with a preference prefer a closed group.  I have a slight preference for that myself.  Before I send the request, does anyone want to make an argument for an open group instead?

#17 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

huh.  i guess i prefer having a closed group off site.  i'm not that interested in having the world able to access our ups and downs, whether or not they are able to comment.

it's too hard to stay connected and real without privacy (and with having to submit to a UA).

so a "closed" group on MDC still let others read just not comment?  hmm.  that's kind of a bummer.

grateful mama to DD1, born before the robins came, 2010.  excited to welcome a little man into the world in early February 2012! kid.gif

#18 of 21 Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to go ahead and request us as a closed group.  If things pick up and we want to later, we can then decide to create a private yahoogroup or something like that.  Sound good? 

#19 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 AM

Hey ladies! I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. But.....

Please dont feel like you cant post here just because it would make you seem trivial. I'm still a mama, and I know that even though this tragedy has happened I still need to find out about a better laundry detergent to use on DD's diapers, how to handle my family giving her sugar, and all the other "trivial" nonsense we get online for. It's not trivial, it's your life. I still pop in here every now and then, because I did share 9 months with you all and still have a connection to this ddc, even though Charlie is no longer with me.

On an more uplifting note, I miss Charlie so much every day, and even though it is really hard to go through life without him I am super excited because I just got my BFP! This baby will be due on Feb 9, 2013. There is no ability to replace Charlie, and we know that, but we did still really want a baby- even more so after ours was taken.

Love you ladies smile.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#20 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Adaline'sMama!  Great to hear from you and great to hear your fabulous news.  Many congratulations and tons of hugs. 

I know we all felt your loss and mourned with you; I'm so glad to hear that you have been able to find some peace and move on in some ways.  I admire your courage. 

#21 of 21 Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 AM

Congrats on your BFP Adaline'smom! Wishing you and your family all the best.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page