Fit mama's check in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tell me what you're doing, fit mamas - or in fact, any mama who is trying to stay active whilst pregnant! I was in the middle of training for a half ironman and I'm keen to keep up with some fitness. My Dr last time, and all the good research I've read, suggests that you can continue to exercise as you were before pregnancy but that you shouldn't increase (unless you're beginning an exercise program). I don't feel comfortable doing the intense interval work I was doing or the 60 mile plus bike rides, especially when it's hot, but I'm going to try and carry on running, biking and swimming for as long as is safe.

I know that last time I was pregnant it really helped to have a check in thread.

So... yesterday I ran 5 miles in the morning, walked a mile home from the store, and a couple of miles on a family dog walk in the evening. I'm hoping to get out for a bike ride today, but time might not allow it.

Zub

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#2 of 64 Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I am really trying to stay active this pregnancy.  Last time I just was a LAZY BUM!  :D  

I had a some bleeding yesterday, so I was totally too freaked out to any of my usual jogging.  So I took an hour long powerwalk yesterday with an old friend and today with my mom.  Hoping to keep up the good work on this end and maybe attempt my usual jogging in the next few days or so.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#3 of 64 Old 06-28-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

So sorry about the bleeding.. are you feeling better now? And nice power walking.

I chatted with my Dr. in email today about what I should/should not do. We agreed that I would tone down the intensity and also cut short some of my usual long workouts. I don't expect to do much if/when the nausea starts up. I was a slug for the first trimester last time around!

Today I did a nice quick 18 mile bike ride - and then walked a couple of miles with the pups with DH and DS.

#4 of 64 Old 06-29-2011, 05:25 AM

I am feeling much better about the bleeding.  I had a bit during my previous pregnancies, but never accompanied by the intense cramps I was feeling.  The cramps have subsided and so has the bleeding! :) So all is good.

I might try to hop on my bike tomorrow (as I have a walk planned for today).  Biking is not my favorite (although it used to be) but I think it is because I lived without biking for quite a few years after my bike was stolen!!!  I am hoping once I work those muscles more, it will become easier for me.

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#5 of 64 Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM

I did a weights workout yesterday at the gym. And I have to say it was hard! Harder than it should have been. I can tell that my body is working overtime winky.gif

I'm hoping to get a run in today and another workout at the gym tomorrow but my dad and his girlfriend and coming in town tomorrow and I have a million things to do so we'll see...

Btw, is anyone else out there starving all the time?

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#6 of 64 Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM

My walk was cut short today due to DD1's random tantrum.  DH called me about halfway into my routine and I came home to help with the 1 yo.  So... I think I will try to go for a walk/jog tomorrow with the girls in the stroller to avoid having to do that again!

I am not really hungry.  I am already feeling the queasiness settle in and practically have to force myself to eat...  I HAVE to eat, right?  I know I do, especially considering I am still nursing 'the baby.'  (It will be weird to not call her that any more!)

#7 of 64 Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Fly Girl, my runs have definitely felt much harder despite running much slower!

Jodie, same here on the appetite. Before I knew i was pregnant I was actually STARVING but now that's turned into a general distaste for most things. I still haven't gotten over my aversions last time around. I'm also still nursing my almost 2 year old, who honestly nurses like a newborn!

he was up a lot in the night (2 year molars). It's not so bad as we co-sleep but I woke up exhausted so I missed my chance to hit the pool. Frankly I am EXHAUSTED and now I am about to force myself to walk the dogs with DS and DH. Tomorrow I hope to run and maybe even swim since DS is in nursery.

#8 of 64 Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

A really nice morning run. 5 slowish miles in the morning sunshine. I felt queasy before I left, had half a gel and a bit of energy bar, but felt actually much better when I returned. I also walked up most of the steep inclines to keep my body from feeling as though it was doing too much work.

#9 of 64 Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM

You ladies are so inspiring.  joy.gifI was only able to make it 2 1/2 miles with the girls before stopping!  This time it was because of my tiredness and not a tantrum.  wild.gif (<-- Me after walk that was supposed to be a jog...lol.) I am gonna try again later...either after naptime or after dinner.

#10 of 64 Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Zubeldia, You have given me the great idea to start up swimming again!  I did that during my first pregnancy and it was great.  I am going to do that starting a few weeks from now (Next week we are going on vacation in Amish Country, OH!!!!4 days and 3 nights of as much relaxation as possible.  And it couldn't have been timed better!).  The hubby has agreed that this is a brilliant idea! I will probably try to do it in the evening after dinner while he plays with the girls.  Thanks!

#11 of 64 Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Jodie, I hope you're doing okay... If things work out for you I think that swimming would be a great idea. It's my worst triathlon sport and this will be a good opportunity for me to work on it when I can no longer ride outside. Today a quick almost 15 miles. I just wasn't feeling it so I came home after 45 minutes. Hoping for a nice long family run in the morning on a nearby trail... there's a lovely pond at the end which we go swimming in afterward. Bliss!

#12 of 64 Old 07-02-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

A nice 5 mile run with DH and DS this morning, thankfully DH pushed DS all the way! I was a bit nauseous before going out but it felt fine when running.... A walk with the pups later, though I am pretty tired after chasing DS around at the beach all afternoon.

#13 of 64 Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Another nice family run with DH pushing the stroller the entire way! usually we switch every half mile so it's a treat not to have to push :) 6 slow miles with plenty of water stops as it was getting pretty steamy. I actually felt pretty decent.

#14 of 64 Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 PM

I'm getting the itch to run. Watching people do sports on TV... makes me miss the adrenaline/runner's high. I'm too scared though! I spotted after sex. I'm nervous I'll jar the baby loose lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#15 of 64 Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, I hear you! I did have that same thought! I have cut down my training by half and I am going super slow but I, too feel a bit nervous. I'll integrate more swimming soon, too, which will be less nerve-wracking, I think. My friend ran, and came third, in a state championship marathon when she was 7 weeks pregnant... she didn't know she was pregnant!!

#16 of 64 Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 AM

Lol, that's funny.

I've barely been running at all, pretty much since my last AF. In every bit of spare time I've been scrapbooking.  ...I'm a bit addicted to scrapbooking. I guess you don't realize what you got til it's gone lol. Now that I can't run I want to. I think I'm gonna ease into it again with sort of walk/run intervals.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#17 of 64 Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Well, my dad was in town for a long weekend so I didn't get any running in. I did have a pretty good uphill hike on Saturday so I guess that counts for something. But I was back in the gym today. Did some uphill sprints on the treadmill and weight training.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#18 of 64 Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Hi ladies! 

I'm an "aspiring" fit mama, lol.  I still had like 15 lbs from DS before we got pregnant this time that I wanted to lose, and DH had even more to lose, so we started the Couch to 5K program together.  He's quit now (roll eyes) but I'm in week 9.  :D  I get a side stitch nearly every time, but I've found that I can tie one of my baby wraps in a knot, then tie the wrap around myself so the knot puts pressure where a stitch would be, and that prevents it.  I run barefoot, back and forth inside our apartment, while watching TV.  :p  (With DH's schedule and the lack of a jogging stroller there's really no way for me to go outside, plus it's hot, lol.)  And I am also exhausted!  In the 30-minute run, I have to stop and walk for about 5-10 seconds about 6-7 times.  I'm going to try to finish out this week, and then do two more weeks and see if I get acclimated to running (i.e. can do the whole run without having to stop), and if not, then I'll re-evaluate and see if I want to continue doing the stop/start runs or just switch to walking.  I'm hoping I can keep running at least for a little while.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#19 of 64 Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

wow to the running mamas!  I did my first 10K last April and was hoping to keep it up, but the heat of summer in VA is just too much for me, and I don't like treadmills, so I'm a slacker.  I jogged slowly for 20 minutes early this morning.  This is a surprise pregnancy, I'm 40 and had really hoped to start working out more intensely and losing 15 pounds. So now, I'm 15 lbs above my pre-preg. weight for all 3 boys, and I know this sounds bad, but I really don't want to gain as much this time around.  I plan to stay active and do prenatal yoga as well.

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys and our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12
and expecting #5 on 12/24/14
#20 of 64 Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Harmony, I have regular breaks in my runs now so I can bring down my body temperature and get some added rest. Nice work, mama!

3surfboys, honestly I don't think that sounds bad! I think it is easier to recover from labour when you're feeling fitter!

Well, I didn't do anything yesterday, I was just too tired. I did run 5 miles this morning and walked an additional mile home (I didn't want to run up the hill!!) I attempted to walk the dogs with DS but a storm was heading in so we hurried home after half a mile! It's looking ominous out there now!

It's DS's birthday tomorrow so we may go on a family run in the morning or a family ride.. he's turning 2!

#21 of 64 Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM

My favorite form of exercise is aerial silks and trapeze, but anytime I'm upside down now I get all dizzy. I think it's probably time for me to stay on the ground :( I think I'll take some ballet instead. My daughter's studio offers ballet classes!

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#22 of 64 Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Well, I did a workout at the gym with my trainer today. It was kinda hot in the gym and their ac wasn't working very well and I was sweating so badly. I think it mostly had to do with the pg thing. I haven't told my trainer that I'm pregnant but I think I'm going to have to soon.

Harmony - That's great that you are still doing your running program! Don't worry about having to stop and walk a little, its actually really good for you to get your heart rate up several times in your workout. I'm hoping to keep running or running and walking for as long as I can. I didn't do much running in my second pregnancy but I was running until I was about 30 weeks in my first.

3surfboys - I can just see you running back and forth through your house and it makes me LOL! I'm inspired just thinking about it. I guess I have no excuse to go run outside in my 75 degree summer weather :)

zubeldia - 5 miles! Way to go mama! You're awesome and keeping me motivated! Happy birthday to your ds!

Dandy Lion - Where do you do your aeriel arts? That sounds really cool. I've always wanted to do the trapeze.

#23 of 64 Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Dandy Lion, that sounds amazing!! My best friend in the UK just did a trapeze course for her birthday and she loved it! Looks way too difficult for me! Ballet sound wonderful, too, though.

Fly Girl, great workouts. The funny thing is that the first person to know I was pregnant, aside from DH, was my coach! He was helping me put together my half ironman training plan! I had to tell him as we were about to meet to go over this month's training!

DS is having a lovely birthday, though he is covered in a rash we can't make out... poor little fella. This morning we went for a nice family run with DH pushing DS, 5 miles... though it was slower. I have to say it's pretty eye opening to see how much I have slowed down in ONE week running the same perceived effort lol.gif

Hope to bike tomorrow, though we have another trip to the Dr's in the morning followed by a possible trip to Storyland if DS is well enough.

Keep moving, mamas!

#24 of 64 Old 07-08-2011, 07:02 AM

Before getting pg, I pre-paid for two sessions of yoga at a local studio that I need to use or lose before Sept.  In the past, I've been told not to take a regular yoga class while pregnant and not to start prenatal yoga until the second trimester.  Do you think a regular yoga class would be a bad idea? I was planning to go next Sat.  

thanks!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys and our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12
#25 of 64 Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Oh and I didn't really want to tell the yoga teacher yet because she knows too many of my friends and I didn't want the news to slip out until Sept. if possible.  I will ask her if I must though.

#26 of 64 Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3surfboys View Post

Before getting pg, I pre-paid for two sessions of yoga at a local studio that I need to use or lose before Sept.  In the past, I've been told not to take a regular yoga class while pregnant and not to start prenatal yoga until the second trimester.  Do you think a regular yoga class would be a bad idea? I was planning to go next Sat.  

thanks!

I googled and found this.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#27 of 64 Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM

thanks!  it sounds like it will be safe for me to go next week and just avoid the poses mentioned in the article. I guess I will tell the instructor  and hope that she keeps my secret! om.gif

#28 of 64 Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM

I was just looking for a different type of excersise one day, so I googled it. Aerial silks is the absolute best upper body workout ever.The best part is you don't realize how great it is until a few months in when you can do several pull-ups. I don't do flying trapeze (I wish I did), just static trapeze, so it's mostly dance moves. I think I'll talk to my midwife to figure out just which exercises I should avoid. Trapeze isn't quite so strenuous, so it might be okay for a while.

Big kuddos to all of you gals who are running! I used to run, but for some reason I have absolutely hated it for the past 10 years or so. I just can't imagine right now.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#29 of 64 Old 07-08-2011, 05:28 PM

I'm not super fit at the moment (in fact, I was at the heaviest I'd ever been when not pregnant--153lb--when I got pregnant), but I've taken up hooping/hoopdance in the last year and plan on continuing with it as long as possible...though at some point I will have to switch to only off-body hooping when my belly gets to be too much in the way!! It's so much fun!!

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#30 of 64 Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone! Great to see people posting here! It hasn't been a great week for me partly because it was DS's birthday and we went to North Conway for a couple of days. We took the running stroller but opted, for once, to have a nice lie in as all three of us were so tired! I say lie-in.. we were up by 7:30! But we did head out for a run when we arrived home. We hit a local trail, but since DH is training for a marathon and had intervals to do I ran for a couple of miles on my own pushing 60 pounds of stroller and child. Usually it's fine but, wow, where did my strength go! kept the pace easy and light and it was just a lovely 5 miler. I'm hoping to do a long run tomorrow and perhaps a family bike ride if I feel up to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page