March Chat Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

8in: your stats are similar to my #6 stats :)

Andrea: (((HUGS))) one thing I've heard people say recently is that your life is not a snapshot.  It's a filmstrip.  You life is always changing and often where you are NOW is NOT where you will always be.  Especially if you decide you want to be somewhere different.  Your mind subconsiously starts looking for ways to make it happen.  Granted it's unlikely to happen overnight, I'm pulling for you that things will get better. 

What type of work does your husband do?  The reason my husband has a good paying job without schooling is because he's in a trade.  So he learned on the job for years and has enough experience and training to earn more.  There are also local apprenticeship programs that allow that same type of opportunity.  DH has been told a number of times he's "lucky" he has a good job.  He's been working to support us from the age of 19.  He took the first job he could get and worked is butt off.  He works hard and doesn't miss work very often unless there is a good reason.  He's had his share of 12, 16, and even 18 hour days. 

He applied 3 times at a better job when we was at his first one before he ever got in.  We just kept trying.  Same for the job he has now.  He applied and interviewed a number of times before he finally got hired.  He knew he wanted something different and just kept at it.  So it's a tad humorous and a tad annoying when people tell him he's "lucky."

There are also a lot of people who just go with an interest they have, learn a ton about it, and find a way to offer a service to others.  I'm currently reading a book 48 Days to the Work You Love because while DH's job pays well, the environment in which he works is not one he's excited about.  He does it because it pays well and cares for us which he feels is his responsibility.  I know he can be just as successful doing something he really truly loves, but it's a tough transition to make and one he has a hard time wrapping his head around.  Tough to leave a job that provides well even though you hate being there.  Plus, in his mind "work" is not "fun."  So he has a hard time with the concept of earning a living doing something he "wants" to be doing. 

He's always done anything to support us to that I could do what I wanted (stay home with the kids, coach softball, do the online work that I do).  So I want that for him too.  It's not going to happen overnight, but it's definitely something I want us to move toward.  While I'm highly unsure of how exactly we're going to make it happen. I DO want it to happen within the next 5 years, so working on it. I refuse to accept that every day my husband will wake up early and go to a job he'd rather not be at for 10+ hours a day and do this for the next 30 years.  I want more for him. 

While neither one of us can clearly see how something drastically different from our current life will work, I'm still going after it!

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Thanks, Stacie.  I feel like my filmstrip is just one frame long, though, lol.  DH is in sales right now.  In the past, he's been in retail management (but for a small store, just a few total employees, nothing big or anything).  He also was briefly in a plumbing apprenticeship program, but didn't like the frequent layoffs lasting for 6 weeks or more, didn't like the work environment, didn't think his back could handle doing it for the rest of his working life.  The job he has now, he's had since right before DS was born, and it's by far the longest-held job he's had since we've been here (since July of 2007).  Nothing else has lasted more than 6 months for various reasons.  He has applied at other places but hasn't even gotten called for any interviews.  :( 

So until some very clear answers come soon, I'm trying to be content with our current situation.  Maybe some more film clips will fall out of the sky and DH and I can splice them into our single frame, lol.  But until then, we're on a continuous loop.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#33 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Andrea: does he like sales? 

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

#34 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM

He likes people.  This particular sales job puts him around people all day long.  And when he puts forth even a little effort, he's good at it.  This isn't a job where we're going to get super-rich off of, but if he goes somewhere else, then he'd have to work two jobs to come close to making ends meet, so it wouldn't really be any better situation than we're in now. 

#35 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM

I love the three things idea, here are mine:

1) This is my third pregnancy and all my children will be 4 years and 2 months apart - not planned.

2) I love lists and pieces of paper. Notebooks, little pads, pieces of paper I LOVE them. I continuously have at least 3 lists going at a time. I used to put - 'figure out what to do with life' on my list for like 2 years but I leave that off now. I am already looking forward to the lists that I will be complying for this pregnancy.

3) If there is a choice between two movies I will pick the one that is the shortest without even reading the description - drives my dh crazy:)

#36 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 AM

Three things:

1) I am a knitter.  I had been avoiding knitting for baby because I was dealing with infertility and it was too sad.  This cycle, before I knew I was pregnant, I started knitting my first baby sweater.  Maybe it was lucky, as this was the cycle.  

2) I love to watch professional Starcraft 2 games.  I play too, but I'm not very good.  (Adding this explanation since lots of people don't even know e-sports exists.  You know how there are professional sports teams where the best guys get paid to practice and play?  Yeah, that exists for SC2 as well.  There are people who make their living playing, and people who make their living providing the commentary for the games.  There are tournaments with up to $85 000 in prize money for the winner.)

3) I cook huge amounts of food at once on purpose so we will have leftovers and I won't have to cook for a few days.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#37 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Kyamo, I had NO clue you could get paid for playing a video game (it is a computer/video game, right?).  Wow!!!  I am venturing to GenCon in Indianapolis for this first time this year and I hear they play video games there, too...will have to see if there is someone amazing playing there.  Maybe not, since I don't think too many "pros" go; just game-lovers. 

Harmony, I'd like to think your current situation is not your permanent situation, too.  It might take a while, especially while the kids are little, but I bet you'll get to move or do some of the things you want to in time.  *hugs*

3surfboys - I am a social worker, too!  What kind of social work do you do?  I am in geriatrics/health care.  Was in hospice, but got a better offer from a home care agency, which paid me more to work less, so I went for it.

Those on meds - SSRIs are class C in pregnancy.  I took 20 mg fluoxetine last pregnancy and had NO troubles for me or DS.  Since I took it for anxiety, I have a different med this pregnancy, which is class B (safer than class C); maybe you can work with your doc on finding something class B that would help you?  Or at least feel somewhat even on an SSRI?

Thanks, bcblondie for starting this thread!

My three things:

1.  This is my second pregnancy and I HATE waiting the billion weeks until you can "announce" to everyone.  My closest family know now, but I want to scream it to the world.  On the other hand, the anxiety of something going wrong is killing me, too!

2.  I am a knitter, too.

3.  I work four days per week and I am already starting to get really tired and I WISH I DIDN'T have to work!

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#38 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post

Kyamo, I had NO clue you could get paid for playing a video game (it is a computer/video game, right?).  Wow!!!  I am venturing to GenCon in Indianapolis for this first time this year and I hear they play video games there, too...will have to see if there is someone amazing playing there.  Maybe not, since I don't think too many "pros" go; just game-lovers. 

Yes, it's a computer strategy game.   What kind of gaming do you do?  

#39 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Andrea: just keep your eyes open for a better sales job.  It's a gift to be a good sales person.  In the right position it can be very profitable.  Just keep looking around!

About video games - I've heard of people who play online games and get to certain check points or levels that others have a hard time getting to and then they SELL the game they were playing for good money.  Seriously - after I heard that I was convinced that if there is anything you are really into and are better at in some ways than most people, you can earn money doing it. 

Other - Anyone else wake up with a dry mouth even though you know you drank a lot of water the day before?

Stacie (34)

#40 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieM View Post
Other - Anyone else wake up with a dry mouth even though you know you drank a lot of water the day before?

ALL the time!  My dry mouth wakes me up at night, lol.

In other news, I am telling my co-teacher tonight.  Still agonizing over just the right words to use, lol, but I'm sure something will come to me.  Morning sickness has arrived today so I'll probably mention that to her, lol.

#41 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieM View Post

Hmm.. that happens to me all the time, pregnant or no.  

#42 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

ALL the time!  My dry mouth wakes me up at night, lol.

In other news, I am telling my co-teacher tonight.  Still agonizing over just the right words to use, lol, but I'm sure something will come to me.  Morning sickness has arrived today so I'll probably mention that to her, lol.

LOL about mentioning the morning sickness to tell her. With my first I was trying to keep it a secret at work, but threw up right in front of my supervisor (it happened so fast and I wasn't used to it). She got all panicky and said "You shouldn't be here if you are sick, I'm pregnant and don't want to get it". Then I told her I was pregnant.

#43 of 43 Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I've never been so freakin' thirsty in my life... which bites, because peeing a million times a night is less than fun.

My three things:

1) I'm vegetarian for moral reasons and have been since I was a child.  DP and the rest my family all eat meat.  I'm heading towards vegan though, slowly but surely.  DP thinks I am a crazy person, and hates that he has to check the ingredients panels (for gelatine, rennet, etc)  when he goes to the shops. 

2) I don't follow recipes.  I just make things up when I am cooking, and add whatever strikes me.  Also, I do actually cook (some) meat for DP, although I'd prefer not to. 

3) I'm trying to learn to knit, but it take SO LONG compared to crochet

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24**28***32*** 36***40

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page