March Chat Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone up for just a daily chit chat thread? I have a lot to say that's not quite worthy of it's own post lol. How are you guys today?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#2 of 43 Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 PM

sure, i like chit chat.  I've been attacking my kitchen.  I struggle with cleaning and staying organized.  I sorted all my pans to purge the ones i hate or dont use.  i wish i was raised with these habits and knew more about the whole home-making thing.

whats on your mind?

#3 of 43 Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Not a whole lot! Just figured this might help us get to know eachother better.

Great job on your kitchen. I've been catching up a tiny bit on housework. I got really behind in the days I was bleeding/fearing miscarriage. But on the plus side I don't think I've cooked dinner in a week. DH did a few, and then we went out for our 5 yr anniv, and then a wedding, and today a friend brought a meal. lol. I told her that wasn't necessary but she insisted!

Anywho, making real food tomorrow. lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 43 Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 PM

heh, i need to get better about the cooking thing too...  i eat real food, I'm just lazy.  Vegetables in frozen steam bags, cook meat on the weekends or make abig pot of chili. of course at work i end up just picking up whatever sounds decent.

Are you still concerned about bleeding?  I'm kind of the opposite, I had a missed miscarriage where we went in for a checkup and there was just no heartbeat after seeing a heartbeat previously.  We waited for a full month for the miscarriage to start and it never did, I had to have a D&C.  I'm petrified somethings wrong and I won't know.

i guess the kitchen is my distraction, after all there are some 8-12 loads of laundry that I'm pretending doesnt exist :)

#5 of 43 Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I enjoy eating real food too. I prefer it over food-like substances, which is what we've been doing lol. Side kicks and premade lasagnes? I'm pretty sure I can feel the sodium just sitting inside me. lol.

I am still concerned about bleeding. Almost half expecting it, since I don't know what caused it. If it was a subchorionic hematoma it could be lying in wait for more bleeding, no? Anyways, I'm trying to focus on my lack of cramping. You can't miscarry without cramps right?! So for today I am pregnant, and I'm happy with that. lol. Actually tomorrow is 6 weeks so I'm thrilled with that.

I'm sorry about your missed m/c. I had one of those too. I mean my body missed it, I had to wait 2 weeks for miscarriage, but I knew within a day or 2 that something was wrong, because I could no longer find the heartbeat. So sad. :( I'm sorry you needed a d and c. I was very happy things finally progressed naturally for me. I found it all brought a lot of closure for me.

#6 of 43 Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 PM

I did tons of yard work today.  My yard was way overgrown.  Ya know its bad when some of the weeds are 4 foot trees that have to be sawed down.  

I have been working on eating much healthier for the last several months.  I seemed to have got over most of the cravings for junk, but struggling this week.  I think being pregnant brings that out in me.  I want carbs.  In my area and surrounding states there is a food co-op called Bountiful Baskets.  All fruit and veg and saves money cause there is no middle man.  I love being surprised and "forced" to try new things and eat it up before the next basket comes.  One thing I got this week was fresh figs.  Never had them before, but I can't stop thinking about making a healthy fig bar.

So glad your bean is sticking BCblondie!  I had unexplained bleeding with two of my pregnancies... a lot more than spotting.  One was at 5 weeks and the other at 9.  Both times I was convinced it was over, but ended up with healthy babies.  The one at 9 weeks I had been lightly spotting brown for a few days, so I was worried but not panicked.  I was still very sick with nausea and other symptoms.  Then one morning, as soon as I woke up I realized how great I felt.  pregnancy symptoms were gone.  I rushed to the bathroom to find that the blood was now gushing and bright red.  I was 100% positive it was over.  I went straight to see my midwife, crying all the way.  I told her to check for a heartbeat.  She was hesitant because I was only 9 weeks.  But she did anyway and we heard it!  The bleeding subsided after a couple days and never occured again.  Crazy!

#7 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 AM

Good idea, bcblondie.  

I am just going to complain, I have a cold and I feel crappy.  I think this is the first time I have been sick since Oct 2009, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but I feel yuck. lol.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#8 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 AM

gah, so tired, cant sleep...  So I started some more laundry and seasoned my old wok.  If I dont keep using it well and often, I'm going to chunk it.

i hear ya on the yard work... my yard was also terrible, but my dad came over and fixed it while i fed and entertained my mom.  She likes movies, but she doesnt pay attention, so she never knows whats going on in the show, and she wants to watch the dumbest stuff.  And then i watch it and have to know how it ends...  there goes 2 hours of my life I'll never get back, and you know the sad teen is going to win the horse championship and suddenly become popular, and the cute boy always liked her, even when she was not cool, he was just to shy to say so. 

Yeah. Right.  Because the super cute boy who is rediculously charming is a good guy.  Really?  How do you think he got to be charming???  Practice! From when he was seducng other girls!    

I wish I could just go back to sleep.

#9 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm procrastinating on work. I have a huge stack of articles to write and I've been feeling so yucky that I just can't be bothered. My husband is off working today (he's a musician) and the boys are playing Wii, but asking for food every few minutes. lol. I think today I just feel like staying in bed and planning our trip to Canada and ignoring anything resembling responsibility. Too bad real life doesn't work that way! eyesroll.gif

#10 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 AM

I am SO emotional, I am a wreck.  It's not just pregnancy hormones, it's the fact that I had to stop taking my antidepressant and mood stabilizer.  sigh.  I guess I will call my doctor this week and see what he thinks I should do.  I mean, it would be best to not take any meds of course, but I don't think crying and screaming at my family for 9 months straight is good for anyone gloomy.gif

#11 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunebugsMom View Post

I am SO emotional, I am a wreck.  It's not just pregnancy hormones, it's the fact that I had to stop taking my antidepressant and mood stabilizer.  sigh.  I guess I will call my doctor this week and see what he thinks I should do.  I mean, it would be best to not take any meds of course, but I don't think crying and screaming at my family for 9 months straight is good for anyone gloomy.gif

I'm pretty sure there are antidepressants that are safe to take during pregnancy, I remember doing some research on that a while back for some articles. Your doctor should be able to help you out with that. You and your family will find it a lot easier, I'm sure!

#12 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Maybe a weekly or monthly chat thread would be easier than a daily one, lol.  I know I sometimes barely have time to eat each day, much less check a message board.  :p 

I slept nine hours last night and still took a giant 3-hour nap today and SO needed it.  The exhaustion is really kicking in.  After church tonight, going to try to make my weekly meal plan/grocery list so I can go shopping at a cooler hour tomorrow.  The past couple weeks, I've gone shopping at like 1:00 p.m. and that is just WAY too hot. 

I'm teaching the 2-yr-old class at church this summer, and my co-teacher (who is also pregnant) and I alternate weeks.  This was my week, but I forgot my notes this morning, lol.  Managed to muddle through it okay anyway.  Had a couple of screamers in class today that I had to talk over but it wasn't too bad. 

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#13 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

I feel you.  I've gone off my meds too.  Of course, I knew it would have to happen sooner or later.  I'm no so hormonal, but I have wicked vertigo... Even rolling over in bed!

The docs did speak to me about what would be safe to continue during pregnancy, and I thought about it long and hard, because it was my three losses that resulted in me ending up on meds anyway, and the thought of how I would deal with another (possible) loss without them is SO scary.  They said to me that it is better to take the meds if the benefits outweigh the risks to the mother's health.  Also, my understanding is that there is very little risk with antidepressants in the first tri, so perhaps you could stay on them for a little while longer and see how you are doing later in the pregnancy?  Remember that the mother's well being (or lack of) can also have negative effects on a developing child, so I think the sooner you can see a doc, the better. 

At the end of the day, I want to do everything I can to give my bub the best possible chance, so I stopped them.  That is MY decision, and is not necessarily what is best for others.  My only suggestion is if you want to stick it out, is to get into some counselling.  I think that would at least help take the edge off.  I've explained to my doc that I want a social worker or shrink to be part of my ante natal care without a doubt. 

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#14 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Hey all, a nice weekend here. We took DS to Story Land in North Conway for his 2nd birthday and stayed overnight in a sweet little hotel with a pool. DS LOVED it. We all had a lie-in on  Saturday until 7:30 (bliss) and we've had a nice relaxed weekend with a long run this morning and the lake this afternoon. But now I have so much to do.. the house and garden are in shambles and it's a busy week all around. And did I say I was nervous about my u/s on Thursday!?

To get to know one another a bit more perhaps we could share something about ourselves... maybe start with three things. I have to say that I find it easier to remember people when I can connect them to 'facts' about themselves!

1) I am English living in the US (almost ten years!)

2) I'm a professor

3) I'm vegan (sorry bacon lover!)

Frenchie2 likes this.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#15 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

8 in tuglywood I've got some kind of pricky weed that's 4 feet tall! I gotta get on that.
I'm sorry about your past miscarriage scares. It's the most awful thing.

Kyamo it's ok to complain. We know you're still happy to be pregnant. But pregnancy comes at a price sometimes.

LOL baconlover. Tangent much? That's hilarious. I hate dumb  movies too.

Freelance mom, where in canada? I'm in winnipeg manitoba. :) Get on that work, missy.

Junebugs I hope you start feeling better soon.

Harmony, I kind of meant it to be an ongoing thread. Idon't really understand the point of restarting it monthly. People just lose subscriptions that way. Feel free to post as frequently or infrequently as you want! Pop in when you can, update us, do personals if you can but you don't haev to!!

9 hours of sleep sounds heavenly but I hear you on teh fatigue. I think it's more the crap food I've been eating though than the pregnancy.

Milkshake good on  you for doing the best thing for your bean. I know it must be scary. Hugs.

Zubeldia good idea:

I'm artsy crafty and addicted to scrapbooking. 

My parents were born in Holland so I'm sorta dutch but I can't speak a word of it.

I like cooking and baking new things. But not so much things I've already done.

AFM I'm really bummed. I feel like I missed out on the exciting "I'm pregnant" announcement with friends because we announced it when we thought we were m/cing. And now I feel like no one even cares because a) it's my 4th pg and b) I'll prob just m/c again. :(

#16 of 43 Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

3) I'm vegan (sorry bacon lover!)

I'm vegan too.  Was your last pregnancy vegan? I am very interested because my last 2 were not, but I definitely want to maintain my vegan lifestyle during this pregnancy.  I have found that this pregnancy I have been able to get a hold of my hunger a lot easier than before.  It is probably because I am more conscious of what is going on with my body.  Is there anything that you are going to be more conscientious about with the pregnancy?  I have been taking Folic Acid, B12 and just ordered some Omega 3 DHA from a plant source.  I am so excited to find a fellow vegan expecting in March! 

#17 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the kind words and input, mamas.  I've been on low doses of antidpressants with both of my kids, so I may end up doing that again.  I knew that I had to stop my current ones though because they are not really on the "safe" list.  I've also been putting off calling my shrink and telling him that I'm pregnant....I've been with him for a long time and he really knows his meds, BUT honestly his "bedside manner" is really lacking (I see him for meds management only, not therapy).  I'm feeling like I'll get some negative comments from him like "sigh, why did you have to go and get pregnant, sigh, what are we going to do about your meds, sigh".  You get the idea.  ugh.  Anyway, DH thinks that I should try to hold out without meds for a little longer and see how it goes.  Honestly I'm not sure how much of what I'm feeling is normal pregnancy mood swings.  And really, the post partum period scares me MUCH more than pregnancy.

Anyhoo,

1.  I am addicted to sewing, knitting, and crochetingknit.gif

2.  I've been taking a bellydance class since January and. I just LOVE it.  I'm bummed that the past few weeks my morning sickness has kept me from going bellyhair.gif

3.  I have a part-time job that I really dislike (but we need the money). 

#18 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Oh bcblondie, if only you knew how many times I've been called tangent.  When I was in college I was dating a nerd who said "If you were a function, you'd be disjoint" ...   so its a lifelong defect / eccentric attribute :)  On the plus side:  "CONGRATULATIONS!!!  YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!! WOOO HOO!"  The great things about forums is you can celebrate with lots and lots of people.  We'll totally celebrate your pregnancy with you :)

Goodness, who knew there were so many vegans on this forum???  J/K, on a natural promoting hippie style forum, I'd be shocked if there weren't vegans here :)  I wholy support people's choices to choose whats best for themselves and their bodies and families, just as many people support mine.  Though it makes me sad that other people don't get to experience the sheer joy I get from bacon.  I'm sure they get their joy from coconuts or green beans in olive oil or something...

So 3 things...Er

1) I love bacon

2) I'm obsessive about whatever has my focus, right now its being pregnant and eating my food plan to get lots of nutrition.  Previous obsessions include trying to potty train a cat, sailing, learning to ride a motorcycle, buying a car and the accompanying research, scrapbooking (that lasted $150 and a weekend), doing BFing research (no kids yet, 1 prior preg.) etc.

3) I used to be really logical and rational before we got pos.gif

#19 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM

My 6 year old loves bacon.  He also loves pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and when I asked him to name his recipe he decided on "Better than Bacon Muffins" lol.gif

#20 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconLover View Post
 Previous obsessions include trying to potty train a cat,

LOL at "green beans in olive oil."  And I also used to try to potty train a cat.  All I ended up with was a lot of wheat-based littler down the drain and a cat who pooped in the tub.  :rolleyes: 

Guess I'll share my 3 things.  :)

1)  I was born with a tooth (and when my permanent teeth came in, I had an extra one, which they pulled b/c my mouth wouldn't have been big enough otherwise). 

2)  I feel like DH and I are financially stuck b/c of our educational background (or lack thereof) and no way for us to go back to school, and therefore our income is severely limited and I feel like we're going to be stuck in this 2-BR/1-BA apartment for.ev.er.  We don't even make enough to RENT a house, or move to a bigger apartment or anything.  :( 

3)  I love Taco Bell.  :lol:

Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#21 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

BaconLover have you ever tried Morning Star Farms "fake" bacon.  My boys love it!  My vegetarian dh HATES the smell of it though.

I have been such a slouch today.  I've pawned off my too oldest boys to their friends for playdates/sleepovers and my 4yo is taking a 3 hour nap.  Totally what I've needed today after having a US this morning that hasn't eased my mind one bit about what the hell is going on in my body.  

3 things

I'm 40 and completely freaking out about the prospect of having a 4th child.

I work full time as a social worker, but I have July off - (which is such a blessing considering the turn of events!)

my last son was born in water at home, and I hope for the same with this one!

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys and our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12
and expecting #5 on 12/24/14
#22 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Harmony96 - please make sure you go back to school with a plan, not just go back to school and think that will automatically fix the income issue.  Neither DH nor I have a 4yr degree (DH doesn't even have a 2yr) and we earn a decent living.  In fact, DH has less education, but earns the majority of our income.  We've lived off just his income for a long time. 

Anyway - nice you see you all in this chat thread.  I too have a WAY overgrown yard, but have never really been a yard work person (grew up in apts and townhouses).  DH was the one that wanted the yard.  I did tell him that I don't do yards.  He doesn't really do diapers, I don't really do yards.  We each help from time to time with it but it's really not our thing.

Thankfully I have a crazy awesome FIL who comes over every now and then to take care of our yard.  We do go out and help him.  Right now, when he comes, we're trying to tame the jungle our back yard has become.  My FIL actually apologized and said it was his fault our back yard was so overgrown.  He's got a great heart, but I know that our back yard is OUR fault.  Not his. lol

Anyway three things...

1) I am the oldest of 2, DH is the oldest of 10 (7 biological, 3 are adopted cousins).

2) My sister is also pg and expecting her 3rd.  We were actually pg together the last time too and were due in the same months as this time. I haven't told her I am pg yet, but I know she'll be super thrilled!

3) I want to do a belly cast because the last one I did was left in a closet downstairs and got all dusty and bent.  DH said just not very long ago that I need to do another one since that one is a tad beat up now.  At the time I was thinking that is highly unlikely, but now we might just get that chance!

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#23 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Frenchie! Great to have a fellow vegan! I was vegan when I was pregnant with DS but I had such horrible food aversions (and hyperemesis) that I did try a few things with dairy/eggs in them. For example, I could not bear almost all protein foods but I could stomach Quorn products which are made with egg whites. I even tried real dairy ice-cream during a period of time I was having problems keeping anything down.... It didn't help, though, and I didn't pursue it. I am hoping not to have to do that this time... I'm a vegan on ethical grounds and I was really conflicted by it. We'll have to share recipes/tips!

Baconlover, my dad still teases me about missing bacon as it was the hardest thing for me to give up.... mind you, I've ben veggie since I was 10 so we're talking 25 years ago lol.gif

3surfboys, will you take any time off when you have this baby? I have the summers off (though I am meant to be doing research!) and it is a nice perk.

Oh, darn, I have forgotten my other personals..... will be back.

#24 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieM View Post

Harmony96 - please make sure you go back to school with a plan, not just go back to school and think that will automatically fix the income issue.  Neither DH nor I have a 4yr degree (DH doesn't even have a 2yr) and we earn a decent living.  In fact, DH has less education, but earns the majority of our income.  We've lived off just his income for a long time.

Oh, definitely, we wouldn't go back to school until we want to figure out what we want to do when we grow up, lol.  But our living is far from decent right now and neither DH nor I have the experience needed to do any career jumping.  I have some sporadic work at home stuff that I do, but we absolutely can not make ends meet on his income alone.  We were doing okay before March, when his pay structure changed and he took a HUGE pay cut (with the potential w/ the new structure to actually make more than he was before, but that hasn't come CLOSE to happening yet), but now we're not doing okay at all, and as each week passes, it's seeming more and more like it's a permanent situation (me needing to bring in some income).  He can't even get a second job, either... neither of us can, b/c his hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. already.  :/  I'm trying hard to be content in knowing that this is very likely our permanent situation, but it is very, very hard.  :(

#25 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Better than Bacon???  They must be amazing!  I do really like pumpkin though- pumpkin pie s my favorite of all desserts.

Quote:

My 6 year old loves bacon.  He also loves pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and when I asked him to name his recipe he decided on "Better than Bacon Muffins" lol.gif

#26 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Andrea, that's a very tough situation to be in. I do think it is possible to move in a different direction, though I think it also entails a lot of luck. I'm a college professor and do see non traditional students come through my classes. My experience is that these students - motivated by very real things - succeed in ways that their younger colleagues do not.

#27 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM

3 surf boys, I haven't tried Morningstar bacon, but I have tried their hamburger patties though.  Not bad, a veggie pancake :)

zubeldia, I've been thinking about hunting my own wild boar to aquire my bacon fix.  Given the danger they pose, I wouldnt feel bad about decreasing their population.

Harmony 96, I was thinking of changing careers earlier and dental hygiene is looking pretty good.  On the other hand, a lot of people fall into their future careers by talking to other people and filling a need somewhere.  It doesn't take school to do that, just opportunity.  Dr's offices always need a good offic manager.  Good luck and the career move, Its always stressful, but there's always a way to make things work.

#28 of 43 Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Hi, just poking my head in here before heading off to bed so that I will be subscribed!! Getting too sleepy to really focus enough to comment on anyone else's stuff!!

My three things:

1. I speak three languages fluently--English, Spanish, and Romanian (and not because of heritage)...and have lived in three foreign countries (though one was just for about 5-6 months).

2. I love to be organized and to have a generally simplified, minimalist house, but I won't let anyone see our trashed out home office (it's like a bastion of mess)!!

3. I love some pretty random stuff that mainstream folks find quirky...like hoopdancing, renfaires, steampunk, and swing dancing...with all the garb/costuming involved with each...though we've not got a lot of money to spend on garb so I upcycle stuff to wear.

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#29 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Its so fun to learn more about each of you!  Great Idea to post three things.

Texanromaniac- my sister is adopted from Romania.  It was a long, expensive process for my parents, but totally worth it.  She is 17 now.  They started trying to adopt when she was a couple months old and couldn't get her to the states until whe was 15 months old.  All she said at the time was "Da" when you asked her if she wanted something.  So cute!  I am curious where your love of Romania stems from.

Three things...

1) I am expecting # 6, and it will be 6 children in 11 years for me. I am 32. 

2) I love being self sufficient-- I work from home with a business I founded, homeschool my children, have had homebirths with the last two, help run our family farm--- we have 150 acres including a  100 tree orchard and I put up enough fruit to make smoothies and canned fruit and dried fruit to last the year, we grow our own wheat and veggies, I'm a beekeeper, we raise chickens, I make what I can from scratch... you get the picture.

3)  I already know this baby's sex... Still a little early cause I am not 6 weeks yet, but give me one more week and I will not have a doubt.  Just know my body that well after this many pregnancies!

#30 of 43 Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inTulgeyWood View Post

Texanromaniac- my sister is adopted from Romania.  It was a long, expensive process for my parents, but totally worth it.  She is 17 now.  They started trying to adopt when she was a couple months old and couldn't get her to the states until whe was 15 months old.  All she said at the time was "Da" when you asked her if she wanted something.  So cute!  I am curious where your love of Romania stems from.

It's kind of funny cause I spent most of my childhood in Mexico (parents were missionaries there) and until I was 16 had hardly ever NOT been able to understand what people were saying...since we lived in Mexico, Texas, or Arizona until I was 15 and I was fluent in Spanish from the age of four...and so if I wasn't hearing English I was hearing Spanish. VERY strange to get off a plane in Europe and realize that I couldn't understand what people around me were saying!!

But when I was 16 we moved to Romania to be missionaries there (this was not too long after the revolution in December 1989 and we arrived July of 1992). I was VERY against moving to another country again. I was quite happy settled into our home church in Texas and going to our church's Christian school (after mostly homeschooling up to that point). But go I did, as I was still underage, and it changed me. I learned Romanian through osmosis, really...never had classes or anything....just asked friends (many of whom in the early days there spoke English) how to say stuff or what stuff meant. During the two years my family was first there I made many friends and grew to love the country, the people, the food, and the culture...so much so that I accompanied my family back for one more year after their furlough before I headed off to college and they headed to their new field of Peru.

Even after all that I wanted so badly to go back that I ended up spending three summers during and after college going back and working in summer camps...and finally I moved there myself from June 2005-June 2006 as a non-traditional missionary myself. While there I worked in a summer camp, worked in a baby orphanage for babies that had been abandoned at hospitals, worked with another orphan outreach going to a foster home for boys once a week and an orphanage for girls once a week and doing programs with them, worked with the youth group of a local church, and taught English classes with another foundation (to older people who worked at the gas company)!! One thing I will never forget is delivering the Christmas boxes from Samaritan's Purse and having these little orphans who had practically nothing to call their own insist on turning around and giving me something from their boxes to remember them by...it was amazing!!

The only reason I am not still in Romania is because I met and fell in love with my husband and moved back to the US to marry him...and of course we got a house and started a family. But someday we totally plan to take Bug and Sprite (and any surprise baby that might show up once we have our two) when they are older and travel around Europe and I'll be able to introduce my husband and children to my other country!! :-D

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page