Names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone got their names already? I had two names (first and middle for both a boy and a girl) picked out YEARS before I ever met my husband and thankfully he liked them. He spent 20 minutes looking at baby name books early in my pregnancy with Bug and came up with two names (first and middle for both a boy and a girl) and I actually liked them.

We ended up using his boy name for Bug (Edmund Robert)...and we've decided that Sprite shall be either Nikolas Parker (my boy name) or Penelope Sage (his girl name).

Since we may be done after this one...but we are definitely not having more than three, at least one of the names will end up not being used (most likely Bailey Rae...my girl name that was picked out before I'd ever heard of the singer...after my grandpa who was born in 1900 and whose middle name was Bailey).

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#2 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM

I like Piper Elizabeth or Willow if it is a girl, and Benjamin August if it is a boy. (August has been used on my Dad's side as a middle name for generations, and before that as a first name.)

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 AM

I am obsessed with baby names and basically never stop thinking about names for my future children. By this point, I think I am required to have 10 kids so I can use all my names. :)

If this one is a girl, she will be Lydia and some middle name starting with I. If it's a boy, my current favorite is Lawrence, but I'm still thinking about what nickname we might use for that. The second-place contender for a boy name is Michael. Middle name for a boy is totally in flux.

I reserve the right to change my mind!

Tess - Mom to Charlie (8/12/08)

#4 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 AM

All I have is a list of ideas.  For the last 3 years or something, anytime I hear a cool name I have tossed it into a notepad file.  However, I know my husband prefers the idea of using a name that isn't an already accepted name, like something from a Final Fantasy character.  I dunno, I like a lot of those names too, but I am not sure I want to use a made-up name or name my kid after a video game.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#5 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 AM

I too am obsessed with names - the web site Baby Name Wizard is by far the best resource.

If baby is a boy his name will be Felix, with a possible nickname of Fox.

Girl we are unsure about. We like Violet Celeste (possible nicknames Ivy or Stellah), but it doesn't feel *perfect* for us like Felix does. 

#6 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Boy names are hard. I feel like if we have another boy, the baby's name should fit with my son's name, Bobby (full name, Robert, but we never call him that). We don't feel the same about a girl name; it doesn't have to go with Bobby. To me, it's all about how it sounds together.

I've considered Theodore with Teddy for a nickname, but I'm not sold on it.

I love baby name wizard. Unfortunately, many of the names I love (Rufus, Milo, Wesley), my husband does not. He likes to veto but not come up with any on his own.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#7 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Normally I love thinking of and picking out names.  This time, I'm just enjoying each day as it comes and right now have no plans of thinking of names until baby is born.  Though I do not dismiss the idea that I may do so a little sooner.  wink1.gif

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#8 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

These are some nice names, mamas! I am finding it hard to come up with names this time around... and I don't want to tempt fate but we have started a name list on my iPhone :) Our son is called Rafael (Rafi) so we need something that wouldn't sound awful with that. When I was pregnant last time I really liked Harriet for a girl but I have since changed my mind!

Some top contenders... Ruby, Ophelia, and Thea. For boys: Oscar, August, and Theo(dore)

We need a name that fits both the US and UK...

Oh, I love Felix, btw!

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#9 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I've had names picked out for months, lol.  For a boy, I like Nathan James (although Steven just popped into my head as a maybe name, too, the other day).  For a girl, I want Mercy Hope.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#10 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

These are some nice names, mamas! I am finding it hard to come up with names this time around... and I don't want to tempt fate but we have started a name list on my iPhone :) Our son is called Rafael (Rafi) so we need something that wouldn't sound awful with that. When I was pregnant last time I really liked Harriet for a girl but I have since changed my mind!

Some top contenders... Ruby, Ophelia, and Thea. For boys: Oscar, August, and Theo(dore)

We need a name that fits both the US and UK...

Oh, I love Felix, btw!

Ooh, I LOVE Harriet!

Tess - Mom to Charlie (8/12/08)

#11 of 36 Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Love the name August.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#12 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

After saying I won't even think about it, looks like Alaina for a girl may be in the running.  I mentioned it for my SIL's baby that was born yesterday.  DH was like, "Why are you giving away our names?"

Um - that name was never discussed before.  I had actually thought of it for my angel baby, but never told anyone.  Now the kids really like it and DH said he likes it too.  Before this I could have never considered it for another baby.  It's a possibility though.  We'll see.  I'm not as against it as I was before, but I feel my heart getting heavier as I type this, so definitely not making any real decisions on a name until much later. 

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#13 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montessortof View Post

I am obsessed with baby names and basically never stop thinking about names for my future children. By this point, I think I am required to have 10 kids so I can use all my names. :)

If this one is a girl, she will be Lydia and some middle name starting with I. If it's a boy, my current favorite is Lawrence, but I'm still thinking about what nickname we might use for that. The second-place contender for a boy name is Michael. Middle name for a boy is totally in flux.

I reserve the right to change my mind!

This is me, too; I'm completely obsessed. I just made DH sit down today and talk about it so I have names in mind and can STOP thinking about it. Here're our current picks:

Boy: Matthew Erik Aanen

Girl: Freya Elizabeth Ostara

In utero: Baby Jay <= anyone else doing this? we like to have a name for baby just to use during the pregnancy...

DD's names each have special meaning, and I want to make sure Baby Jay's do, too. Matthew is my BIL; Erik is DH; and Aanen is DH's great-grandfather. Freya comes from Freyaskogen (Freya's Grove), which is my midwife's farm; Elizabeth is my best friend; and my EDD is the spring equinox, hence Ostara.

I love hearing every one's names!

And, Montessortof, my DD is Lauren, is indirectly named after my grandfather, Lawrence. He went by Larry, but she goes by Ren (or Renny), and I knew another little boy Lawrence who also went by Ren. So you'd have at least two nicknames to choose from!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#14 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkat View Post

In utero: Baby Jay <= anyone else doing this? we like to have a name for baby just to use during the pregnancy...

I'm referring to mine as "Bun".  ROTFLMAO.gif

#15 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Nice names, lilkat.. my niece is named Freya (it is a top 20 name in the UK but I haven't heard it here).

We called DS 'Poppet' before he was born (and still, actually), and we're trying to decide between sweetpea, tuppence, and pudding. biggrinbounce.gif

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#16 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

We called our little guy Baby Bean early on in my pregnancy with him...and later his nickname was Wigglebump (cause he was SUCH a wiggly little guy in utero)!! Then we started calling him Bug when he was only a few months old. Now I think he thinks he's got several names...Edmund, Bug, and Dude being the main ones!!

This one is Sprite at the moment. It could change partway through the pregnancy or it could stick even beyond the pregnancy...it remains to be seen!!

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#17 of 36 Old 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM

ATM the only boy name I have is Reed and I don't think DH really cares for it...

I really think this one is a girl and so far I like Ruby and Adelaide.  Haven't thought about it a lot, though.  I usually don't until after the big U/S at 20 wks.

#18 of 36 Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 AM

All of you have such wonderfully creative names. We name our children pretty traditional names. We have 4 and their names are:
Hannah Grace
Matthew Paul
Lauren Hope
John Thomas

Our rainbow baby will be either Jacob Andrew or Abigail Faith.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#19 of 36 Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 AM

We are having a hard time this time as well.  We never find out the sex of the baby so everyone atleast wants something!  However, this morning I think we decided on Holland McLane.

We already have:

Israel James

Ireland Jo

Iceland Branken

Italy Diane

Scotland Casey. 

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#20 of 36 Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM

We have talked over names for a lot time. We have a boy and girls name pick out but not sure if we'll stick to this or change it up. No middle names yet..

Sandra Mommy to Z 3/1/05, Z and Z Boy/girl twins 8/6/07, Z 8/5/09, and Z 3/23/12... Pregnant with #6 due in Aug!
#21 of 36 Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 AM

My husband never likes any of the names I love, lol. I really, really wanted to name this one Dmitri if it's a boy. We already have two D names, Dorian Gabriel and Dante Luka. So it makes sense to go with another D, no?

For a girl, we've decided on Elora Quinn. 

For a boy, we both like the names Micah, Dastan and Cruz. While Dastan would fit the D requirement, I feel a bit weird about it because it's kind of a modern name (from the movie Prince of Persia) and while people might think it's cool in 20 years, right now they'd just think of Jake Gyllenhaal! My husband is also really pushing for Constantino, which I love, but feel is too much for a poor little kid to carry. So, I'm thinking maybe Dastan Cruz and we call him Cruz for the first ten years of his life, til the movie is forgotten, lol.

#22 of 36 Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM

I love E names; our son is Ethan.  I liked Eva last pregnancy for a girl, but this time I like Elise.  I like Ian for a boy.  But so far, DH does not seem to like Elise - he thinks it's an "old lady" name and I'm not sure he'd go for Ian, either.

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#23 of 36 Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:

For a girl, we've decided on Elora Quinn. 

LOVE! If DS2 had been a girl he'd have been an Elora. Instead, he chose to be an Elliot ;) If I do end up with a girl I don't think I could go with Elora, though. I'd never be able to call them by their right names!

Mama to two June bugs, ages 3 and 5, and a m/c at 8wks on 8/11/11.Rainbow Girl rainbow1284.gif 7/25/12

#24 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post

I love E names; our son is Ethan.  I liked Eva last pregnancy for a girl, but this time I like Elise.  I like Ian for a boy.  But so far, DH does not seem to like Elise - he thinks it's an "old lady" name and I'm not sure he'd go for Ian, either.

I love the name Eva, but I can't use it because I have a friend named Eva and it would be weird.  Elise is really nice, but it makes the piano piece Fur Elise play in my head.  

#25 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 PM

We have 4 names for each gender picked out. I (we) still need to think some on the names before deciding for sure. 

#26 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 PM

With our last child my husband and I went round and round.  It was awful.  We had NOTHING picked out until the day of the birth.  He liked macho names and I liked softer names.  Our current children's names are: Alyvia Kaii and Adrian Robert

This time, we actually agree on a few.

For a boy: Gage Michael  (which was what I wanted Adrian to be named)

For a girl: Adalyn Elisabeth or Hayden Elisabeth

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#27 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM

During the time span of our last time names would occasionally come up as 'good'.  I guess I can start kicking myself for not writing them down and assuming I'd remember them, because I've no idea and I really don't like the idea of going through baby name books.  We didn't last time, but I think we may bite the bullet this time.  So many pages of names!  Though I'm pretty sure we'll wait until after first trimester.  I don't want myself anymore attached to my poppyseed!

#28 of 36 Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM

I'm oddly uninterested in thinking about names.  I'm a name nerd normally but I just keep thinking that we don't need to worry about this one.  The perfect name will just come at some point.  We have a long list of girl names that DH and I agree on, but not as many boy names on the list at all.  We had a favorite, Rowan, but I have a nephew Ryan and his sister's name is already similar to our daughter's.  I think going with Rowan will start to sound like weird name stealing.  I'm feeling OK with waiting a while to name the baby, even if it's all the way to the birth.  DH is feeling very lenient on the name and is OK with about 80% of my list, so maybe that's why I don't feel like we have to hash this out immediately.  :)

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#29 of 36 Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 PM

We haven't really started coming up with names yet either. I refuse to name our child until after he/she is born. Because of our last name we have to be pretty careful though! For now the baby is "George" because it was conceived after being pounced on in the middle watching The King's Speech.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#30 of 36 Old 07-16-2011, 05:32 PM

We don't do names until baby comes... however, I really love to think about them and hear other people's ideas... so keep 'em coming! :)

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page