Morning Sickness Mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I found something that might help others. Often, I'm too nauseous to eat food but the longer my stomach is empty, the worse it gets. If I drink a juice-bar juice (the kind they make on the spot) I feel really good for an hour or so. It's like magic, it helps really fast. I do the veggie plus a little fruit ones and I swear it's because there is less to digest and I get nutrients without the heavy food. I eat when I start to feel better after drinking the juice.

I borrowed a friend's juice maker and bought some goods. I am adding ginger root, just a little, and it helps too. I am just barely figuring out some tricks. But it's been baaaaaad, so this is great. Maybe it'll help someone else. Keep on keepin on mamas! Hugs around!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Doc has given me some zofran to try, so we'll see how that goes.

Interestingly, I found out that the chemist sell ice blocks that are made for dehydration, nausea, diarrhea, etc.  Doc mentioned that sometimes a bit of glucose can help the cause.

So I brought some, and I must say, they are a lot easier to tolerate.

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24**28***32*** 36***40
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM

I work in a pretty big place, so while there are a number of bathrooms, most are pretty far away (3-4 minute walk) - not sure I'd make it.  This weekend was the worst, but I'm hoping it was due to the extreme heat we had here in the northeast...  My midwife said to try B6, stop the multivitamin, and will write a script if it doesn't help.  My biggest concern is that I've actually lost weight.

@freelancemom - yes!  I have been extremely hungry most of the day, and yet the mere thought of food makes me sick!  I can't wait for this part to be over. 

Old 07-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Yes, I have MS all day long. And even eating small snacks throughout the day doesn't always keep it at bay. I can feel sick as I am eating and also after I eat. I am 3 months pregnant with my second child. With my first (4 1/2 yrs old now) child I had MS constantly as well. I feel very little motivation to excersise, clean, or really do much of anything with I just feel like hurling constantly.

In my previous pregnancy I used crystallized ginger to keep the nausea under control but that doesn't seem to help so much this time and can add to my continuous heartburn as well.

Any advice, tips, or encouragement would be appreciated!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NkugbaMama View Post

Yes, I have MS all day long. And even eating small snacks throughout the day doesn't always keep it at bay. I can feel sick as I am eating and also after I eat. I am 3 months pregnant with my second child. With my first (4 1/2 yrs old now) child I had MS constantly as well. I feel very little motivation to excersise, clean, or really do much of anything with I just feel like hurling constantly.

In my previous pregnancy I used crystallized ginger to keep the nausea under control but that doesn't seem to help so much this time and can add to my continuous heartburn as well.

Any advice, tips, or encouragement would be appreciated!

There are a lot of things that you can try, but what works for some doesn't work for others. It requires a little trial and error.

-eat small, frequent meals and try to get your daily fill of protein
-avoid anything greasy, smelly, or spicy
-sip ice water throughout the day to stay hydrated
-eat a protein snack before bed to keep your blood sugar steady at night
-try sucking on ginger, sour, or rootbeer candies
-take 100 mg of b6 spread out into 2-3 doses during the day
-try Unisom tablets at night or a half tab during the day (get the old fashioned tabs, not the gel caps)
-get plenty of rest - being tired can make it worse
-avoid any stress that you can
-if all else fails and you are dehydrated or losing a lot of weight, ask your doctor or midwife for medication.

**I forgot to add that digestive enzymes and probiotics may help. For me the enzymes help me digest meat.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM

ok, so ginger is officially out for me, it has become a huge food aversion and just opening my bottle of ginger pills made me gag the other day.

I also had to switch to chewable vitamins because my gag reflex has gotten so sensitive. I was hanging out with my sister and actually not feeling nauseous or anything and decided it was a good time to take my vitamin and almost puked on her because I gaged on my pill. =(

I have saltines next to my bed and have been making sure to have easy snacks on hand like sandwiches and making smoothies. One thing I learned with the smoothies just now is black berry seeds make me gag... really, so dumb, I had to give the rest of my smoothie to my kids. I still feel like I have a seed stuck in my throat. Oh and not a good thing but salt and vinegar potato chips are amazing!

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 PM

I too have been having queasiness and nausea all day and am finding most food not too appealing.  Things that have taste good to me are blueberries, apricots, and strawberries. Oddly, I seem to be enjoying eggs. My sure standby right now is a smoothie I make with kefir, peanut butter (or almond butter), banana, and honey and some ice.  Even if I don't feel like eating, it is refreshing and filled with protein and I can just chug it down before my belly notices. I tried some crackers tonight and that was pretty good. Normally I am veggie freak but those are sounding pretty yucky to me right now. It's funny after wanting to pregnant for so long to have the experience be less than thrilling. It's hard to since I am not wanting to tell anyone yet, so the sickness makes the whole experience a little more isolating.  But, I am thankful for this little growing being inside of me. :)

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM

I need to get some things for smoothies. I'm sure I could keep down a strawberry banana smoothie with some yogurt and orange juice. Today I ate mostly rice. Last night mom heated up something SERIOUSLY smell, and I was heaving in the bathroom. No vomit, just gagging. It is getting worse, so I'm trying to look at it as a positive. It is crummy, but at least I have a sign that the pregnancy is moving along.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

DH made me a smoothie sunday night before bed, and for the first time in weeks I woke up with no nauseousness, queasiness or pain. We tried it again last night but I woke up feeling sick this morning shrug.gif  That seems to be the trend for me. I'll figure something out, and it will work really well. Until it randomly doesn't.

Baked potatoes were perfect for a little while, and I can occasionally suck on lemon candies when I'm feeling really nauseous. The other thing that helps are ginger chews.

One of the side effects of morning sickness that I totally wasn't anticipating was my inability to do dishes. The smell of food on them and in the kitchen (especially after we've cooked) is horrible and makes me gag. We're totally out of clean dishes, and I just can't bring myself to go wash them, but if I don't wash them then I won't have anything to prepare food with today. It's quite a predicament (and I'm pretty sure it earns me the Worst Housewife Ever award...).

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

NOTHING is working for me this time :/  If I was actually throwing up and/or losing weight I would call my midwife.  But it's just a constant nausea and lots of dry heaving.  Plus extreme tiredness and a low level hormonal headache - the cherry on top!  I haven't been able to do much at all with DD, poor thing.  She has been such a trooper though.  I guess all I can do is hope that this passes quickly and take comfort that this pregnancy seems to be progressing normally.   

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

Old 07-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Wow, B6 has either worked a miracle or else I'm going to miscarry!  I started taking it a few days ago and I am seriously a different person -- nausea almost completely gone.  I read some medical journal articles about it and it's a completely legit treatment as long as you don't take too much. 

In one study, though, ginger worked even better, so today I am taking little cut bits of ginger root like pills. Took 2 so far today when I felt the sickness coming on again -- let's see if it works.

Coincidentally, I also stayed up really late the night I started taking the B6 -- and I think I sort of reset my sleep clock. So now I am wondering if I actually feel LESS sick if I get less sleep (at least all at one time) -- maybe.  It could just be the B6.  In any case I used to be sick all day -- now I feel it coming on mid-afternoon or not at all.  My fatigue seems to be lifting too, finally.  Hoping it's just my adjusting to the pregnancy and not an impending miscarriage.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM

How much are you taking? I took 25 mgs and I don't think it's working any more. I didn't take any today and didn't take my prenatal yet either... and I feel ok. Maybe my prenatal is the culprit. Although its the same one I took in past times... Maybe I should just take folic acid alone for a while?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM

hoping it's ok to jump in on this thread here - what do you ladies do if you throw up your prenatal vitamin? I'm wondering if I should just take another one this evening before bed... I threw up this morning about 30 minutes after I took it... then I couldn't keep anything down til this afternoon when I ate one whole slice of lemon bread. Even the sight of the sink (which is clean!), the smell of my garage (which has nothing wrong with it!) makes me sick!!! It's kind of mindblowing.

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

hoping it's ok to jump in on this thread here - what do you ladies do if you throw up your prenatal vitamin? I'm wondering if I should just take another one this evening before bed... I threw up this morning about 30 minutes after I took it... then I couldn't keep anything down til this afternoon when I ate one whole slice of lemon bread. Even the sight of the sink (which is clean!), the smell of my garage (which has nothing wrong with it!) makes me sick!!! It's kind of mindblowing.

Try taking it right before you go to sleep, and see if switching to a whole foods vitamin helps. Chewables are okay, too. If you're really sick, taking folic acid and B6 without the prenatal is okay. I did that for several months with DD because I just couldn't keep anything else down.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

i'll try the nighttime thing, We don't have any whole foods stores in our state :-/

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM

I'm sitting here with one of those gel pads they sell for kids with fevers on my forehead...I probably look ridiculous. I was feeling super queasy and hot, and this seems to be helping. Well, that, a tab of unisom, and some fizzy water.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller2 View Post

Wow, B6 has either worked a miracle or else I'm going to miscarry!  I started taking it a few days ago and I am seriously a different person -- nausea almost completely gone.  I read some medical journal articles about it and it's a completely legit treatment as long as you don't take too much. 

Thank you for saying that!  It took a load off my mind.  Soon after I started taking the B6, my nausea got a LOT better, and I've been worrying since.  I didn't believe the B6 could have that dramatic of an effect. 

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 PM

This stinks. greensad.gif Every time I ask my husband to empty out leftovers that stink, he dumps them down the dishwasher. I've asked him over and over to just dump it in the trash outside, but he won't do it. "It'll just smell outside!" he says. So? I don't smell it when it is sitting on the side of the garage. Dump it in the dishwasher, and the WHOLE house reeks like old pot roast or whatever he dumped. I'm sitting in the bedroom with the door shut and fighting off the gagging. The A/C is on, and I just can't get away from it. He doesn't get it. Grr.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM

Saltine crackers, apple juice have helped. Noticed kefir is like magic for me. Gives me a soothing feeling and the nausea feeling goes away.

Drinking water makes me want to throw up immediately. Staying away for now!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Started zofran today.  I think it helped some.  I still have that underlying nausea.  My OB put me on an antibiotic for bacteria in my urine.  I was so nervous about taking it and avoided it for a couple of days.  Then I started symptoms of a UTI so I took the meds:(  I hope we all get relief soon. xoxo

Married to the love of my life for 12 years...Robertjoy.gif Together we have a beautiful, brown-eyed 5 year old daughter Milan energy.gifLooking forward to the arrival of our bundle of love March 1, 2012 stork-girl.gif

Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM

I started with your recommendation of the juice bar.  It is delightfully filling and it doesn't make me gag:) ((happy dance))

Married to the love of my life for 12 years...Robertjoy.gif Together we have a beautiful, brown-eyed 5 year old daughter Milan energy.gifLooking forward to the arrival of our bundle of love March 1, 2012 stork-girl.gif

Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM

I had a smoothie today, and that worked pretty well. I stocked up on stuff to make smoothies at home yesterday as well. My OB said that if I'm not vomiting a lot by now, I have very little risk of getting hyperemesis again. Woohoo! Morning sickness stinks, but it is so much better than crying myself to sleep at night because I don't know how I can get by. That was seriously tough - and I feel so bad if any of you are going through that.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 PM

I tried many different things for my nausea and morning sickness.  I'm 36 weeks and still have one- two days a week of throwing up.  It's much less intense and less frequent than in the beginning of my pregnancy and I've kind of just gotten used to it.  Also, I was fortunate that it didn't affect my weight and health too much that I was prescribed meds.  The main thing I want to say is that I'm an acupuncture student, and there was one treatment in particular that alleviated my morning sickness for about 2 weeks and that was a Kiiko style treatment that is done when the morning sickness goes into the second trimester (and beyond!).  The point that they say to do acupressure/acupuncture two inches above your inner wrist did not work for me.  If you have access to a acupuncture or an acupuncture school with student clinic prices I recommend giving acupuncture a try.  

Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Got my Non-Puker status revoked today. It's a good sign that my all-day-sickness is getting worse, right?

I had actually been doing somewhat better as far as being able to force food down. I've been having a few Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps and a small bowl of blueberries just before bed and first thing in the morning. Trader Joe's sweet apple chicken sausages have been tolerable too.

I felt queasy all morning, and then I had a glass of orange juice with my vitamin around 2, and within a half hour...

I have no idea what to expect anymore. I'm meeting my friend for a late lunch in an hour, and I guess I just have to cross my fingers that we get a table close to the bathroom lol.gif!!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM

So happy that worked for you too!  I have to work tomorrow.  Definitely going to take Zofran and a bunch of snacky foods with me.  It's a 6 hour meeting.  Say a prayer for me:)

Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Has anyone else lost weight?  Seems I've lost about 5-10lbs this week, and can only tolerate one good meal a day (lunch) where I try to pack in some protein.  I'm getting really close to calling my midwife, cause I've noticed I'm also getting weird muscle twitches in my legs and feel like I'm just malnourished.  

Mornings are better if I eat crackers before I get out of bed (my 2 year old LOVES this), and I must find a way to force something around dinner. I just started B6 today (25mg 2x/day) and noticed no difference :(  I can't even think about prenatals, so try to have at least one One A Day gummy with lunch (the daily dose is 2)...  

The disappointing part is that my midwife told me I was about 9 weeks...  US today said I was closer to 7.  Ugh...  I thought this would be over in a month...  no such luck.   

Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I have found that with myself and other women, if you are taking a prenatal vitamin that is not whole foods based, the morning sickness will almost always be much worse than those women who are taking a whole foods based prenatal.

This one is THE BEST, and it also has ginger in it as well as probiotics, so that helps with the sickness as well.  http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Code-Prenatal/dp/B0032EZOAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311975510&sr=8-2 

Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Update on me. I was taking 25mgs of B6. Seemed to help at first, maybe it was in my head, but it wore off, upped it to 50, still not feeling great. Today I said forget it. I'll take 100, see if it works, if not I'm not taking this anymoer. Well I feel pretty good today.. I get nervous about doses that high though. I know too much b6 can have side effects....

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:01 PM

I think over 150-200 mgs could be harmful if I remember right. I got tested before this pregnancy because of my neurological issues, and my levels were really low. I started taking supplemental b6 a couple months before this pregnancy, and I think it may have played a role in having plain morning sickness this time compared to hyperemesis last time. If you're concerned, you can always ask your Dr. for a blood test, but at 75-100 mgs you should be fine.

I just kind of wish this would be morning sickness, not middle of the night sickness. Last night I was up at 1:30 throwing up. It wakes everyone up, including my husband, who thinks it is his duty to stand over me. I don't like being watched when I'm puking. Maybe that's just me.irked.gif

Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

The doc put me on Zofran.  It has made a pretty big difference to my hiccuping, burping, retching, gagging dance.  I still seem to have that pit of my stomach kind of ickiness though.

I don't feel like eating anythingNothing appeals to me at all.  I haven't eaten chocolate in weeks!

I don't seem to get quite as long out of the Zofran as I need though...  By evening, I'm wrecked.  Last night, I got home, and climbed into bed @ 5:45!!

I have just been doing some contract work for the last couple of days (and over the coming weekend greensad.gif) with the State Govt to do with a disease outbreak in my state - don't worry, I'm tucked away in an office...  Going in today is not high on my list of priorities, but I'm trying to challenge my self to make it through to Monday and then can it, so I'm not leaving anyone in the lurch.

DP and I Have taken to referring to bubs as Paris, because at my appt on Monday, I was really worried that not eating properly, the baby wouldn't be getting what it needs... The doctor said: "don't worry, the baby is a parasite, and will take all the good stuff, and leave you with the rest - this is why you feel lousy".  So, voila - Paris the Parasite. 

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24**28***32*** 36***40

Tags
Morning Sickness Magic 60 Capsules , Secrets To Relieving Morning Sickness What Every Pregnant Woman Must Know
User Tag List