Had an "emergency" ultrasound. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Over a week ago I had bleeding. My midwife sent the req for an ultrasound. They FINALLY called at 745 this morning and asked if I could come in for 945. Huh? Ok sure.

DH was unable to come. That was ok with me. I got there really early and sat there anxiously (while previously I'd felt fine about the pregnancy.)
Finally got into the room, through a door marked "urgent"... and my papers said "urgent." ... :dunno:

She put the transducer on my tummy and measured the gest sac twice. I saw 5w1d and 6w1d. Both are behind, so I was a bit worried. And I had to lay there worried for half an hour while she scrounged up a vaginal transducer.  THAT found the bean no prob and I could right away see a baby measuring 6w3d and heartbeat and a yolk sac. She said the hb was 122. Bit low but normal for the gestation.

So in summation. THRILLED to see my happy little bean in there. But I think it was more anxiety than it was worth.  I've been very just "rather not know" with this pregnancy. Too many bad experiences in the past.
Ok I'm done rambling lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM

BC, that brought back so many memories of one of my scares, it made me feel sick!  I remember that anxiety.  And my baby's heart rate at 6 weeks was way low.  It was such a roller coaster.  I went in cause I was bleeding and convinced it was over, then saw the heartrate, just to have him tell me there was a problem.  The doc said it didn't look good.  I did so much research and became an "expert" on embryonic heart rates.  It wasn't good news as there were practically no survivors for the gestational date I was in and the heartrate she had. 

It was a nightmare pregnancy with many more huge scares later on, but she was born perfectly healthy and is my sweet, sassy six year old now.  

I hear you about preferring to stay in the dark.  I used to work in a children's hospital infant unit and know way to much to feel good about.  Wish I didn't know anything when I am pregnant.

So glad your little bean is healthy.  The heartrate you stated sounds great for a 6 weeker.   Hope you can move forward at peace now and no more scares!

#3 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Sorry you had to go through all that, but what wonderful news that you got to see that precious little heartbeat :) 

Here's to smooth sailing from now on!

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#4 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Sorry about the anxiety, but I'm so happy you got to see your little one! Sticky vibes for here on out: sticky.gif

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#5 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

So glad you got to see that beautiful little beating heart! Honestly, I don't think that is a particularly low heart beat. From what I've read it seems to get faster the second half of the 6th week into the 7th week. DS's was 126 at 6 weeks 4 days! Perfectly healthy little 2 year old :)

I do think the extra testing can cause so much more anxiety than it's worth.. but then the relief of good results.

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#6 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#7 of 8 Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Just saw this and wanted to say YAY!

That sucks about the anxiety that all the "urgent" stuff and the waiting for the other us machine caused. I think I would have had a panic attack. 

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 AM

So happy for you!  I have to wait until at least 8 weeks or later, but got to see DS's heartbeat at 6w3d last time and it was a huge reassurance then.  I am SO sorry about the anxiety around this for you...why did they have to make it seem so scary?  I SO wish medical professionals would explain things more as they go along instead of making you wait until the end of the assessment.

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page