early ultrasound - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all. I just got back from my ultrasound.. I'm sort of feeling good about things though, you know, also not! lol.gif They did do a vaginal ultrasound (and it always makes me laugh when they ask if you have used a tampon before and then they hand you a massive great big 'wand'!) Anyway, I am not quite as far along as I thought - by just a few days - but closer to 5 and a half weeks rather than 6weeks and one day. Everything looked and they did see a heartbeat. Here is where I feel less confident, though... it was beating at 87bpm. The sonographer didn't seem concerned and said that the heart had probably only just started to beat and that it would speed up. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,

Alex

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#2 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Yes, it does. With ds I also had an ultrasound that early and the heart just started beating  and it was at 90 smething. A week later it was much, much faster.

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#3 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ChiaraRose. I am honestly terrified... worrying that my dates aren't off (I was using OPKs but I don't know that I ever got a proper positive before I stopped using them). Your story is really reassuring, though.

#4 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 02:13 PM

YES, that sounds very reasonable.  Last pregnancy, I had a u/s at about 5w3d and all they saw was a yolk sac.  They told me maybe I had a "missed miscarriage," which was devastating.  9 days later, we saw our bean with heart beating away in there, all normal!  I am amazed they saw a little one with a heartbeat at ALL!!  Congratulations!!  I can't WAIT to have my early u/s to confirm viability!!!

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#5 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Seeing a heartbeat at 5w3d is very, very rare, so I would just be happy that you saw one, and not worry at all about the number.  It's possible that the heart has JUST started to beat. 

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12******20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#6 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all. I was officially dated at 5 weeks 5 days as their dating computer wouldn't accept a CLR of 1.7mm for dating purposes so she used 2mm. The concerning thing for me is that I thought I was exactly 6 weeks (using opks, though I don't know that I used them properly) and so I am very worried that the little bean is not developing as it should.. if that makes sense.

Total nervous wreck.

#7 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Maybe you caught the beginning of the surge with the opk's instead of the peak of it, or ovulated a little late? That could put you behind by a few days. The heart rate is in the normal range, too. 5 1/2 weeks is on the early side to see the heartbeat - so that is good!

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 28 Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 PM

Congratulations, that's amazing to see a heartbeat so early.  I understand your concern about dates, but one good sign is that the heart rate was correct for the sizing.  When did you first get a BFP?  Could that fit into the earlier date? 

#9 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

thanks both of you. I feel so depressed and hopeless about it all... I tested positive 11dpo so it is feasible that I could have gotten a positive on day 9. It was light. With DS I tested on day 10 and got a positive...

Wish me luck, mamas.

#10 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 05:22 AM

Keep in mind that you are talking about a difference of 2-3 days, which is NOT really a big deal in the long run. Of course, it feels like a big deal now, but you saw a heartbeat, which is a VERY good sign; you are most likely (90%???) going to end up with a baby at the end of this!!  HOOOOORAY!!!

#11 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Cellist. I can't get any perspective right now. It is just a few days, you're right, but if I am 6 weeks then this heartbeat is dire and comes with a 90% chance of miscarriage. It's that part which is absolutely terrifying.

#12 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 AM

Zubeldia, what about implantation times?  some fertilized eggs zoom down the tubes to the uterus, some take their time meandering along.  So you could have just implanted a few days late, right?  Just being able to see the heart flickering is rare... being able to actually measure a rate is awsome.  

I totally understand being unable to move your mind away from the worry, but theres nothing you can do about it.  Will your dr let you come in to recheck in a few days / week?

#13 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Baconlover. I am not a relaxed pregnant woman! lol.gif I am hoping it is that and also perhaps that it might be that I had a long surge leading to ovulation. it was my first month using the OPKs and I was impatient. My Dr's office just called back. They spoke with the maternal/fetal office and they said my pictures looked good and that I really did look like I was 5 weeks 5 days (not 6 weeks plus) and that all features looked good. They would like to see the HR a little higher but they weren't concerned. I have another scan next Thursday, which of course I am just now dreading/wish would come sooner.

#14 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 08:32 AM

I just read in What to Expect that between 5 and 6 weeks, the heart rate is about 80.  You're RIGHT ON! :)

#15 of 28 Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Zubeldia I completely understand your worry -- torn between how to interpret the results.  It's a tough spot to be in.  I hope you have a terrific scan next week that shows the new dates were spot on.  9DPO is not too early to test +, I had a very very faint line on 9DPO with my son.  

#16 of 28 Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Totally. I didn't even see a hb with ds at 5w5d and he was even measuring 5w6d. With this one the hb was 122 at 6w3d.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#17 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I feel so paralyzed with fear, right now. I have another scan next week. The nurse spoke with the fetal and maternal center where I had the scan done and they confirmed that the pictures looked good, that a higher HR would have been great but that it's not a concern. They really did seem to think that I was 5 weeks 4/5 days along and not 6 weeks. I do think I probably had a longer surge but, you know, gah.

Can you talk to me about later implantation. I know there are a range of days that it can take, but does it affect things like due date (I know it can impact when you see a BFP). Just wanting another explanation for why I am a day or two behind.

#18 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Zubeldia, there is some information on the implantation window here.  My understanding is that while there may be extreme cases where the implantation window is 6 or more days, the typical window for viability is 6DPO-10DPO... which seems like your difference of 3-4 days could be well within, especially if you also attribute a day or two to a longer surge.    

#19 of 28 Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you.. .this is really helpful. I am pretty sure I used OPKS the day after I thought I was surging and I do remember that it was just as dark so I think that explains at least 1-2 says... have a slightly late implant (even just a day - so 8 or 9 days)) would totally explain the discrepancy... feeling quite a bit better.

Fingers crossed for my scan later in the week!

#20 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Good luck momma, it sounds good! Honestly though NOTHING can change whether this baby is going to happen or not so just enjoy these months:) Put your faith in your body and try to focus on the life you have now:)

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#21 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, 3timesamom.. .you're so right. I have been too fearful to enjoy this pregnancy but it's time to just relax a little and to enjoy the time I have with this little butterfly even if it doesn't end as I would like. I keep thinking that being negative will somehow protect me from the sadness I'd feel if we lose this baby, but I don't think it works like that.

Scan is on Thursday... aw, it's going to be a long week!

#22 of 28 Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Thinking of you, Zubeldia. It sucks to have to wait! Sending sticking dust!  dust.gif

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#23 of 28 Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 PM

Zubeldia, I am now in the same boat you were a week ago.  By my dates I am 6w1d, by the ultrasound I was 5w5d with a heart that had just started to beat and too small to measure the rate.  I am very sure of my dates, could chalk up a day or so to late implantation but I got BFP at 10DPO so the embryo lost a few days of growth in there somewhere.  Neither clearly doomed, nor clearly positive.  :(  My betas last week were on the low end of normal too. 

#24 of 28 Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Arden, I wish you had had a more definitive scan... If it helps to know, I think it is very possible to get a BFP at 8 days dpo, which would account for a couple of days, and two days of growth at this stage (a mm a day) can make sooooo much difference.

I have my scan this morning and I am terrified. TERRIFIED.

#25 of 28 Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Good luck, Zubeldia!

#26 of 28 Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ardent, it wasn;t great news for me... I am so hoping yours goes better. I have to wait another week for another scan and I honestly wish at this point that it would be over with. I can't function.

#27 of 28 Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

Thanks, Ardent, it wasn;t great news for me... I am so hoping yours goes better. I have to wait another week for another scan and I honestly wish at this point that it would be over with. I can't function.

hug2.gif

I'm sorry.

I hope this next week flies by for us all. I know a lot of us are still in this weird limbo place with no answers. 

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#28 of 28 Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Just to chime in - When I found out with my first I went in for my "7 week" ultrasound (turns out I was closer to 4 or 5 weeks) and we had nothing but a yolk sac.  Needless to say, no ultrasound pic and a lot of nervous doctors...  I had to do multiple blood draws to test that my hormone levels were increasing and waited 2 more weeks to get another ultrasound - and in the meantime was having spotting and a little nausea.  Well, at the second ultrasound everything was fine, normal heartbeat, and they pushed back my due date 3 weeks!!!!  

If you aren't miscarrying, then you are probably going to be just fine!  Try to relax, because stress isn't good for any pregnancy.  Every woman is different, and your body and pregnancy may or may not look exactly textbook.  Unfortunately, this process is out of our hands.  

Needless to say, now with #2, I'm waiting to go into the midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page