Which prenatal vitamin are you taking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for a different prenatal since I'm almost done with my current bottle.  Any suggestions on what to buy?

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#2 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Oh cr@p.  Thx for reminding me.  I bought some but haven't been taking them.  Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to thank you for reminding me!

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#3 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm taking the Rainbow Light Prenatal multivitamin.

#4 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

I take New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Whole Food Vitamin.  I started taking them about 6 months before I got pregnant the first time and have been on them ever since.  Excellent supplement! 

http://www.newchapter.com/multi-vitamins/perfect-prenatal 

And once I got my BFP (this time and with DD) I started taking Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA and kept taking that throughout the first year nursing DD and will do the same for this bub.   

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/98/?ProdID=1434 

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#5 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

I just picked mine up today.  No prior experience with them but I also got the New Chapter Organics.  I've been getting paranoid in my middle years about how things get quantified into pill form (what solvents do they use etc..) and I can't find that information anywhere about which ones are good.  And I'm vegan, so that also narrows the scope on which pills I can take.  Anyway, these ones, from the look of them, and the recommendation of the lady in the health section, seemed like a great (and hopefully ending) place.

Still looking for a DHA that doesn't use hexane for distraction and not made of fish..

#6 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM

I'm also taking New Chapter's Perfect Prenatal. They're great if normal vitamins smell or are hard to keep down for you. They're food, so even taking them on an empty stomach shouldn't make you get sick.

I also take Carlson's cod liver oil pills. I normally take the regular high vitamin variety but Swanson's was out, so right now I have the lower vitamin with "a touch of lemon". My daughter takes the chewables and likes them, but says they taste like someone rolled a fish in lemons. wink1.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Rainbow Light Prenatal one.  It's what I've always taken and I really like it.

#8 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife had mentioned there are some new studies that extra Omega 3's are good to add to your diet if not already found in your prenatal.  Has anyone else heard this too?

Right now I'm looking into either getting Rainbow Light or Garden of life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal.

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#9 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM

bag.gif I take gummy vitamins for kids and an extra folic acid.  I throw up everything else.  My RE said they were fine, especially since I eat pretty well. 

Robyn 3/26/07

angel1.gif 2.06 11 weeks, 3.10 6 weeks, 11.10 8 weeks, 7.11 5 weeks

TWINS due 4.03.13

#10 of 37 Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM

I started by taking Target prenatal gummies and they just turned my pee BRIGHT yellow, so I figured they were just going in and going out.  The sugar coating was gross too.  My midwife (once I found one) switched me to Rainbow Light prenatals and they only color my pee if I'm eating extremely vitamin rich foods all day.  That usually doesn't happen... I eat well, but the stomach is queen right now and I do not dare disobey her.

Also, taking calcium/magnesium 2x a day-- this has been AMAZING for my circulation!, fish oil (switching to flax seed oil once it runs out), cranberry -- preventing my usual round of pregnancy UTIs, B complex, and lots of yogurt to prevent my usual round of pregnancy yeast infections. 

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#11 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 AM

I've been taking the Target brand prenatal tablets, and although I haven't had any weird pee colors, if that's the lack of quality I think I'll go buy something better. Gonna start taking some kind of fish oil here soon, too. Probably the gummy kind I give my daughter, since ANY fishy taste leaves me retching.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#12 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM

I take Pure Essence Mother to Be.  Best price is on line at iherb....

http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Essence-Mother-To-Be-Master-PreNatal-Formula-90-Tablets/30250?at=0

They also make a postnatal formula that is terrific, too.

Amy,  organically growing 5 homeschooled sweetieshomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg5 lossesbrokenheart.gifbelly.gif due this summer!
#13 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 AM

I use MegaFood Baby & Me. They are also whole food vitamins, but they don't have soy in them like the perfect prenatal does. I really like them and they don't cause any stomach upset. They are cheapest at iHerb.com or vitacost.com. (If you buy vitamins online at iherb.com, you can use my referral code and get $5 off your first order, just PM me if you're interested.)

I was taking megafood blood builder as well, but I think I am going to switch to Flordix. I need something that will boost my energy level, I feel so depleted already. I'm also taking additional B12 & D3, as I had these tested and I know I am low in them.

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds who arrived March 2012

#14 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Ditto, Shannon. With approval from my midwife I take Lil' Critters Gummy Vites and because of my MTHFR am also taking gobs and gobs of Folate, B6 and B12. My iron was good and I eat well, so she felt this was a good combo that is easy to keep down. 

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#15 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Forgot to add: I am also taking fish oil but the fish burps are very nearly having their way with my delicate tummy. Anyone have recs for fish oil that they feel good about, and is fish-burp-less?

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#16 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 02:31 PM

mollsworth - Lil' Critters makes an Omega-3 Gummy Fish, too! It's what I'm taking because last time around the fish burps made me absolutely miserable. They should be right next to the normal multi-gummy at your store.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#17 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM

I've got the MTHFR too.  (OK, that's not the right way to say that, but it makes me giggle.)

When they first found I had it, they tested my homocysteine levels too, which were normal, so I got to skip the Foltex or whatever.  I still take a little extra folate though just in case.

Robyn 3/26/07

angel1.gif 2.06 11 weeks, 3.10 6 weeks, 11.10 8 weeks, 7.11 5 weeks

TWINS due 4.03.13

#18 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 PM

I've got food intolerances so I take all my prenatal vitamins in their single form.  Which comes up with a lot of pills, but I feel better without the ingredients I can't have.  My naturopath rocks.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#19 of 37 Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycorinne View Post

I'm taking the Rainbow Light Prenatal multivitamin.

yeahthat.gif

I got it at Whole Foods

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#20 of 37 Old 07-17-2011, 12:13 AM

The gummy vitamins don't contain iron - so if you don't get that in your diet, make sure to add some. Vitamins without iron might be a good thing if you're constipated from the extra iron, though.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#21 of 37 Old 07-17-2011, 06:14 AM

I have been taking the ones that I never took with my pregnancy in 2009! LOL Probably a good idea for me to take them AND get new ones! LOL

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#22 of 37 Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollsworth View Post

Forgot to add: I am also taking fish oil but the fish burps are very nearly having their way with my delicate tummy. Anyone have recs for fish oil that they feel good about, and is fish-burp-less?

Try keeping them in the fridge or freezer, and take them right before you go to sleep. You can avoid most of the fish burps that way.

#23 of 37 Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM

I don't take one. crap.gif I am only on folic acid right now.

I cannot take Vitamin C, and the only prenatal that didn't have C was discontinued recently by the manufacturer. I also have an iffy time with B6.

So, spam me with anything else that is super important that I should be taking... my gyno said not to worry about it as long as I was on folic acid, but it still worries me!

angel1.gif 03/11 angel1.gif 07/11 angel1.gif 01/12 

If at first you don't succeed: babyboy.gif 07/26/13

#24 of 37 Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 PM

If you eat well, a prenatal isn't really required. Taking the folic acid is good, though. Taking a B-complex vitamin is useful as well. I would focus on eating a balanced, healthy diet. Some things you can add are red raspberry leaf, alfalfa, and nettles. They are high in vitamins and minerals that are great for preggos. Chlorella is another great source of greens, nutrients, and protein. Start very slow with that since you're pregnant. It is detoxifying, and has been shown to help reduce the amount of chemicals passed through breast milk.

#25 of 37 Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM

I'm taking GNC prenatal (without iron).  My iron was fine without supplementing with #1.   Even, a bit higher than average.  So I'm not bothering with iron unless a test happens to show I'm low.   It has 1000mcg of folic acid.  I'm a little worried about folic acid because I wasn't taking it before I conceived. :(   But I did know I was pregnant before my period was even due so at least I started the folic acid early.

#26 of 37 Old 07-24-2011, 12:10 PM

I use the Rainbow light prenatal one vitamins.

#27 of 37 Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM

I've been taking the Rainbow Light Prenatal for months in preparation, but now they are starting to turn my stomach so I've stopped taking them.  I eat a varied diet, so not too worried, I'll keep taking my individual folic acid too.

#28 of 37 Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Add another one to the rainbow lite list.

I bought the men's version for hubby and he thinks they stink (men!). So I cam see how they might turn some people's stomachs.
#29 of 37 Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM

I was on rainbow lite but the pills started triggering my gag reflex so i had to switch to a chewable (Flintstones complete) anyone have a less crappy fake chewable suggestion that is working for them? 

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#30 of 37 Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM

I just posted something but now I don't see it..... :/ Hopefully it will show up. Biffer - Juice Plus comes in chewables as well as capsules. www.TheScienceInJuicePlus.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page