Not looking good - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another ultrasound, this time measuring 6 weeks 2 days (slow growth) and a heart rate of only 103. Another scan next week. The waiting is interminable and in my heart I know it's not going to end well. I wish it would be over quickly.

Totally devastated.

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#2 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I"m so sorry.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm so sorry, Zubeldia.

hug2.gif

#4 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Oh mama, I'm so sorry. I was hoping you'd get to see a healthy fast heartbate today. Hugs.

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds who arrived March 2012

#5 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Oh, Mama, so sorry for what you are going through.  Have you spoken to the doctor yet?  Just want to know if they gave you no reason for hope or if that is just what your heart tells you.

I don't want to give you false hope, but I am still hoping for this bean to hang on.  How many days ago was your first scan?  Obviously there has been at least some growth and an increase in HR.  I found this about heart rates:

Starting at week 5 the fetal heart will accelerate at a rate of 3.3 beats per day for the next month.

The fetal heart begins to beat at approximately the same rate as the mothers, which is 80 to 85 bpm. Below illustrates the approximate fetal heart rate for weeks 5 to 9, assuming a starting rate of 80

• Week 5 starts at 80 and ends at 103 bpm

• Week 6 starts at 103 and ends at 126 bpm

• Week 7 starts at 126 and ends at 149 bpm

• Week 8 starts at 149 and ends at 172 bpm

At week 9 the fetal heartbeat tends to beat within a range of 155 to 195 bpm.

The fetal heart rate will begin to decrease and generally will fall within the range of 120 to 160 bpm by week 12.

Based of that it doesn't seem totally hopeless, does it?

I have been through almost exactly what you are dealing with once.  It was AWFUL.  I had a scan at 6 weeks and 7 weeks.  Both times baby was measuring small and both times heartrate was well below normal and they told me miscarriage chance was very high.

They didn't do another scan til 20 weeks and that was horrible to wait and wonder about growth.  Of course we could hear the heart rate through doppler once I hit 10 weeks,  It slowly moved to the low end of normal.  But I was devastated again at the 20 week ultrasound because she was measuring 3.5 weeks behind and we knew the dates were right from the early scans.  They also found very large dual choroid plexus cysts which aren't usually a problem in themselves, but can be a sign of a genetic problem especially with the other signs she  had.  They recommended a level two ultrasound and amniocentisis.  I had to wait just a week for that next scan.  Longest week of my life with a lot of heart felt prayers.  The neonatologist spent a long time on the scan,  He carefully measured and checked so many things.  At the very end he said, "Don't ask for an explanation because we don't have one.  The baby is measuring perfectly fine, the heartrate was normal, and both cysts are gone".  It truly was a miracle for me.  The rest of the pregnancy was smooth going and baby was born perfectly healthy.

Hoping so hard for you!  Keep us updated!

#6 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Another thing I am curious about.  I have heard of this correlation with the baby's heartbeat starting out the same as the mother's.  I find this so cool and fascinating.  While its true most women have heart rates in the mid 80's, you seem like you are really athletic.  If your heart rate is lower, would it be natural then for the baby's heartrate to start lower and take a little longer to get up in that range.

That makes me wonder about my similar pregnancy because I was running tons at the time and in the best shape of my life, and obviously there wasn't really anything wrong with the baby.

Hmmm.

#7 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks, mamas. I am a total mess. My Dr is out of town and so it's been a nightmare trying to get anyone to talk with me. The sonographer, seemingly very experienced, suggested that things did not look good, and I inclined to believe her. I am seeing another Dr tomorrow and I will see what she has to say, but with limited growth and a slow heart rate I feel very pessimistic.

Thanks, 8inTulgeyWood.... I would feel okay about the heart rate if I felt as though I was really 6 weeks 2 days along... I know I am closer to 7 weeks, though. THANK you for sharing your story. What a miracle! I did wonder about my heart rate maybe being slower than average... I didn't check it before pregnancy but given my trainnig I am guessing it was quite low. I did try and find the actual research correlating maternal and embryo heart rate in the beginning (I see the link is cited in a lot of places) but I couldn't find anything.

Well, this has perhaps been the worst day of my life. I have broken down in sobs so many times, including when I picked up my son from nursery, which was a bit humiliating (though they were very nice). I don't know what to do with myself as I am in such limbo. It feels easier to be saying 'good bye' than clinging to hope.. it's the radical uncertainty and how long this could potentially drag out.

AND I have hurt my ankle so I can't even run/bike/swim (even swimming hurts) away my melancholy.

#8 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Hugs, mama. I'm so sorry you can't get an answer yet. I hope you get some clarity and peace tomorrow.
#9 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

Hey, thanks, mamas. I am a total mess. My Dr is out of town and so it's been a nightmare trying to get anyone to talk with me. The sonographer, seemingly very experienced, suggested that things did not look good, and I inclined to believe her. I am seeing another Dr tomorrow and I will see what she has to say, but with limited growth and a slow heart rate I feel very pessimistic.

Well, this has perhaps been the worst day of my life. I have broken down in sobs so many times, including when I picked up my son from nursery, which was a bit humiliating (though they were very nice). I don't know what to do with myself as I am in such limbo. It feels easier to be saying 'good bye' than clinging to hope.. it's the radical uncertainty and how long this could potentially drag out.

So sorry for your bad news mama.  With my second pregnancy, I had a similar issue.  I trotted into my 9 week scan (everything had been going fine) and the doctor proceeded to tell me that there had been little growth, and that bubs heartbeat was dangerously low.  He said "things didn't look good".  Because I had already had one miscarriage, I pushed him for more, and he said that he would give the pregnancy about a 3% chance of being successful.

I was devastated, to say the least, and I had gone to the scan by myself (bad idea).  I drove home, bawling my eyes out.  The thing that was most difficult for me was that everyone was clinging on to that 3% hope, when I knew that it was over.  My Mum and all her prayer group were praying for me and such.  It actually made me mad.  I kept thinking, why won't anyone be honest with me, and acknowledge that I'm going to lose this little bubba?  And they also mad me feel bad for thinking negatively - like thinking positive would save my baby.

Hmph, anyway, doctor said I had to wait for 1 week for an ultrasound so they could have "definition".  I told him no way, and demanded one three days later.  Of course by that stage little one had gone. 

Anyway, I know this isn't a positive post, but I just wanted you to know that it's okay to have your doubts, and be scared to hope. 

Much love

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12**16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#10 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Milk8shake, thanks so much.. that really resonates with me. I understand so much why people are telling me to be hopeful, but I am facing such a grim prognosis and this is my reality which I am feeling to the core.

x

#11 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM

hug2.gif oh zubeldia I'm so sorry. I hope you get answers soon so you can have some peace. 

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#12 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm so sorry.  Hoping for the best and keeping you and the babe in my thoughts.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#13 of 16 Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM

You are in my thoughts, Zubeldia. I hope the time passes quickly until you know something.

Mama to two June bugs, ages 3 and 5, and a m/c at 8wks on 8/11/11.Rainbow Girl rainbow1284.gif 7/25/12

#14 of 16 Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 AM

*hugs*

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#15 of 16 Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Oh Zubeldia, I was so hopeful that your dates were just off a bit.  I am so sorry, and I'm with Milk8shake -- it's OK to have doubts and to acknowledge what you're up against.  

#16 of 16 Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm so sorry Mama.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page