Family bedders, what are your plans once the new bub arrives? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD has been in bed with us since day one.  She never had a crib, doesn't have a bed.  We did have a cosleeper set up in the beginning but that quickly became a glorified blanket holder. 

DH and I have been talking about what we want to do when this new baby comes.  We have a queen size bed so something needs to happen for us all to fit comfortably and safely.  We made the decision that DD can sleep with us for as long as she wants, until she asks for a bed of her own, so we are not kicking her out just because of a new addition.  She does have her own room, which is just a play room now, so if she did want her own bed we could do it no problem.  But for now we're trying to decide if we want to get a king size bed, or put a separate mattress next to ours so she has her own sleeping space and we don't have to worry about her karate chopping the baby in the night. 

What is everyone else planning?

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#2 of 5 Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM

I would say that if she is a more active sleeper you could put her between the two of you and get the cosleeper out again or get her a mattress. I don't think you will need a king for another year if she hasn't decided that she wants her own bed by then.

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#3 of 5 Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM

We have a California King bed - currently containing DH, 3yo DD, 1yo DD and myself.  When I was pregnant with the now 1yo we had the same situation but with our older (then 3yo) DS.  He moved to the toddler bed at the foot of our bed a couple of months before the now 1yo was born.  Now that he's in a room with his 18yo brother, I hope to move 3yo DD into the toddler bed in a few months...so, we'll be bed sharing with the then-2yo and the bun when he/she arrives.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#4 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM

We're in a similar situation--ds has never had a crib, and we don't want to kick him out yet. We have a king, so I think the plan is for the new addition to sleep between me and the edge of the bed, and ds (will turn 2 right before the babe is born) will sleep in between DH and me.

Simone (27), babywearing mama to Henry (2) and someone new coming in late October! love.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM

We have what I call the "biggest bed in the world" - a queen and king pushed together ;)  This holds me, my DH (over 6'3") and our two kids: 7 and 3 most nights.  My seven year old occasionally sleeps in his room, but he really likes someone to snuggle with, so prefers to sleep with us.  Not sure what we will do when the babe gets here, but I imagine something like this:

wall - king bed (babe, me, 3 year old) - queen bed (DH, 7 year old).  

Then again, perhaps we will transfer the 3 and 7 year olds to their own room...problem is my 3 year old does NOT like to snuggle, so she is not particularly compatible with each other.

Nicole

Nicole, mama to a seven year old wonder and a three year old joy and caretaker to 3 kitties and 9 hens. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page