dismissive doctor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought I would put this out there to vent and see if anyone has dealt with this before. Everything I read says the first pregnancy doctor's visit will do a full history, I will have time for questions, should be in communication with my doctor, and that has not been my experience so far at all.

I went in at 12 dpo for a urine and blood test. The urine test was neg but I called back 2 days later like they said to check on the blood test. After about 5 calls over several hours of them trying to find the test I was able to get the results.

They scheduled me for my 1st appointment about a week ago, which I told them would only be about 5 weeks pregnant and that may be too soon, but going by my period it was 6 weeks. The u/s only showed a sac and Dr. confirmed I was barely at 5 weeks (and gave us a look like - why are you here?). After waiting for over an hour the visit itself was really quick and I wasn't asked questions except if my family had a history of birth defects.

Anyhow... My first blood test the Hcg was only 146, so I asked if I could take another one and the Dr said okay. I confirmed that I should call back in 2 working days and she agreed. I called back the next week to check on the results and the nurse told me impatiently that she can't give me results only the Dr can and the Dr will call me only if something is wrong. I told her I would like to know about the results either way and she said okay, but the Dr is with patients and is busy all day. I waited the rest of the week and no one ever called me.

I am very irritated. Yes, I have never been pregnant before and I am a little anxious, maybe a pest, but I don't think I should have to beg for my own test results. I guess I am just supposed to assume everything is great until the Dr deems to tell me it's not, but when I called about the first test no one had even looked at it yet, so how do I know someone has even checked my second test? Doctor's are busy, but the Dr having to tell me the results is their policy, not mine, and I am asking for a 3 min check in. Basically, I can drop it, continue to call and make them mad at me, or find a new Dr which doesn't sound fun. ???

#2 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 05:08 PM

DDCC here - just had to say that yes I have been in this situation! Almost exactly! I couldn't get the nurse to give me test results and the doctor never called me back. So, I switched to a midwife and have never looked back. I have the midwife does my annuals and she is so much more nurturing and attentive. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this doctor. Would it be possible for you to switch? 

#3 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First, that is an excellent hcg level.  Check this link out http://betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single   Second, yes, I have been in similar situations and it is frustrating.  You have the right to request a copy of your medical records which should give you the numbers.  I think it is fine to be a pest.  You're paying for healthcare which includes knowing your labs.  I might switch now, might not.  It is a tough call knowing a lot of providers are this way unfortunately.  Congratulations! 

#4 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM

When I was pregnant with my son, I had an incredibly frustrating first prenatal appointment with an OBGYN. First, they refused to use my date of ovulation (i'm a charter) to calculate my due date. They wanted LMP, which as I explained to them, wouldn't be accurate as I have wickedly long cycles. So I gave them my LMP which gave me a due date of 2 weeks early. Then the OBGYN did a pelvic exam and mumbled under breath that I was "still small." Of course, I didn't ask for clarification. Was I too small for my 6 weeks or too small for the 8 weeks they assumed I was? I kept worrying about it. It was a quick visit that had lasting impressions. That's the day I made the decision to find a midwife.

My midwife groups spends 45 minutes with their patients, just talking. They listen to me.

I second APToddlerMama on her comment: you pay for healthcare. You are entitled to your records. Don't let any doc intimidate you. Find a more trusting provider. They don't deserve you as a patient.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#5 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post

I second APToddlerMama on her comment: you pay for healthcare. You are entitled to your records. Don't let any doc intimidate you. Find a more trusting provider. They don't deserve you as a patient.

This, this, this! You are the customer, you have the right to take your business elsewhere. It doesn't sound like you are asking for anything special or impossible. If at all possible, shop around and try to care a HCP provider who will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. There are lots of resources out there to help you find a good match.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#6 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM

My first appointment with midwives won't be until 10-12 weeks.   But if I had questions and wanted to know more about my pregnancy early on, I *know* they would certainly see me, answer my questions and not act incredulous about it.   If you aren't happy this early with your current care, I'd look elsewhere.   You definitely need to feel relaxed and comfortable with your provider.

#7 of 23 Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 PM

If you can, I would shop around for a doctor that you are comfortable with. My OB's office calls the day they get the results to let me know either way. It isn't too much to ask to get your test results within a day or so. If they're giving you heck over HCG results, I'd hate to see how frustrated you'd be dealing with all the rest of the labs and appointments down the road.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 23 Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the thoughts!

I am checking in to midwives but am not sure if that is the best route. A homebirth does not feel like a good fit, though maybe it is just hard for me to get my head around since I do not know anyone who has ever done that. They have been promising a birth center in my city for several years now (it has a web site and everything), and that would be perfect for me, but it has never quite gotten off the ground. I am interested in water birth, and heard it may be possible at a hospital here, but I don't know how to go about that. Feeling kind of lost. 

#9 of 23 Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post

Thank you all for the thoughts!

I am checking in to midwives but am not sure if that is the best route. A homebirth does not feel like a good fit, though maybe it is just hard for me to get my head around since I do not know anyone who has ever done that. They have been promising a birth center in my city for several years now (it has a web site and everything), and that would be perfect for me, but it has never quite gotten off the ground. I am interested in water birth, and heard it may be possible at a hospital here, but I don't know how to go about that. Feeling kind of lost. 

I am planning on a hospital birth with a midwife because I will feel safer at the hospital for "just in case" but I want a midwife because she will be more supportive of minimal interventions.  I know that is a common choice here, but I don't know if that's true everywhere.  Maybe you could start calling midwives to see if you can find one with hospital privileges?  

BirthIsAwesome likes this.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#10 of 23 Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 AM

Sorry, double post.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#11 of 23 Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Rediculous. My doc appts were always like that too. Impersonal and almost irritated with me for being there. I now have a midwife lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#12 of 23 Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

If I were to go to a hospital for a water birth with my midwife she would be the one helping me deliver, right? Anything else I would need to know about that?

#13 of 23 Old 07-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Your midwife would attend most of your labor and assist you in birthing your baby. Dr's show up for a few checks and to catch. Your care is much more personalized with Midwives. :)

Torre, LPN, Doula, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. Loving wife to Shawn malesling.GIF. AP mom to energy.gifx 2....signcirc1.giffamilybed2.gifslinggirl.gifhang.gifcd.gif

#14 of 23 Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM

I just want to note that while the midwifery model of care generally provides more personal, customized care than the medical model, you cannot automatically assume that that is what you will get. There's a group of CNMs that work in one of our local hospitals that a few of my doula clients have worked with. As far as I could tell, they are virtually indistinguishable from the OBs who work at that hospital. Same long wait times in the waiting room for your prenatal, same nurse check-in, same 6 minute one-on-one with the HCP. And during labor the patient isn't guaranteed to get her midwife; she gets whoever is on call. The CNMs check in on mama periodically throughout labor, then come in to catch, just like the OBs. I think that the CNMs are slightly more supportive of going drug-free (although one of them rolled her eyes at one of my clients and snarkily said, "Well, if that's how you handle a cervical exam, you're not going to be able to do this without an epidural"), but the client-provider relationship seems very similar.

I'm not trying to freak you out, this is just one example of one group of large hospital midwives. But be aware of how important it is to really talk to your potential HCP and make sure they are a good fit, and not just assume that because she's a midwife, she'll definitely work the way you expect.

As for making sure your HCP will be the one attending your birth, the only way I know of doing that in my area is to birth at a birth center or at home. As far as I know, all the hospitals around here work on an on-call system, for both OBs and midwives. :( You'll want to double-check the protocols in your area.

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#15 of 23 Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM

yeahthat.gif

Do you have a local doula organization in your area?  That would be a good place to start to get a feel for your local care providers, be they OBs or midwives.  Doulas usually work the gamut between hospital and home births and can give you a bit of insight about the way certain care providers practice.  (You may even want to consider hiring a doula, regardless of what type of care provider you ultimately choose, to help you to make the most informed decisions throughout your pregnancy and birth.)  Get a list together of providers you feel meet your particular criteria, and then meet with them.  You absolutely have the right to interview the people who will be taking care of you during this most special time.  Take your time and find the right fit for you!

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#16 of 23 Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM

ARGH! !   I am having a similar situation and pay a LOT for my health care premiums, so am absolutely fuming (for you and me!). 

I had a large practice of hospital midwives for my first birth and LOVED them SO MUCH.  They were great and everyone in my city agrees that they are awesome.  Hospital midwives CAN be excellent.  See if you have any in hospitals anywhere near you.  Definitely.

I am also hiring a doula this time, who will at least be able to help advocate during labor and delivery and give me some ideas prenatally about how to work the system in our town.  If you can afford one, get one for sure.  If you are not sure you can afford one, there are often programs where doulas either donate or discount their services so all women who want one can have one.

Good luck; did you ever get that lab result?

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#17 of 23 Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 AM

I am going with a midwife after three OB children. I wanted a midwife from baby number two but finances just wouldn't allow it. Baby number three an emergancy came up and DH needed my midwife money. This time I find myself debt free and not even considering a OB. In my experience they come in ask you questions, have you lay on the table, check your measurements and then as they fly out the door and they are closing it, ask if you have any. By the time you think of any your home! You have found that half your day was wasted waiting ont he big important OB in the waiting room and that they gave you a total of 10-15min! They will charge you around 14,000 dollar to catch you baby and for those not so helpful almost violating visits.

With the midwife you will have a visit for an hour. You will trail off talking about past deliveries and what you had for dinner last night. You will talk about the recipe you used and she will write it down to make for her family! You will leave feeling that your questions are answered and that you were not rushed. The total for the midwife is about 3,000 this includes what she pays her assistant!

My midwife has a backup OB.If I want bloodwork done through that OB I can. If I want a ultrasound through that OB I can. If I have to transfer to the hospital that OB will come and deliver and my midwife will stay and act as my Doula. HTH's

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#18 of 23 Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 AM

The online reviews for my OB are typically mediocre...people like her but man, the waiting room wait can be long. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her. I always come in with a list of questions and she takes so much time with me to answer them all. She asks how life is and always asks about something that shows she's either remembering me really well or she's studying her chart really well before coming in. I'm so sad I am going with a MW because I'd LOVE to be cared for by her, except that after a long chat she agreed that she practices defensive medicine and does a lot of cesareans. She supports my decision to plan a homebirth with a MW and welcomes me back if I get risked out. 

I say all that to say this...there are awesome OBs out there who will take time, answer questions, and be incredibly caring. (Not to mention, she has never EVER caused me even a twinge of pain during pell-women visits for paps and such.) 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#19 of 23 Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting. 

Nope, never got the results of my last blood test (annoyed eye roll). I have a u/s on Friday so will ask her about it then. We'll see.

I have been looking around and midwife options seem scarce. I found only 4 in my major metropolitan area and one was a CNM, but looks like they only do homebirth. I did find an OB practice with 2 OBs and a nurse practitioner that looks promising. They offer commitment to giving patients birth options and only work at one hospital, and they offer water birth. I will see how this appointment Friday goes (and assuming everything is okay with the baby) and I may seriously look to switch after that. 

#20 of 23 Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Just don't go into your apmnt thinking you owe these people ANYTHING. You go to who makes you comfortable and who will answer your questions best:)

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#21 of 23 Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well I had another Dr. visit, but before she did the u/s I was too nervous to ask her anything, just wanted to see that the baby was there. She mentioned my previous hcg level was 8000. So that was 146 at 12 dpo, and 8000 at just shy of 5 weeks. At first nothing showed on the u/s and I started coaching myself for the worst, but then we saw a blurry little peanut. Heart was beating at 111 bpm. crl was .52 cm. She said I was 6 weeks 2 days, but I should be maybe one day shy of 7 weeks. I felt very protective of those 4 days, as each day is about a year for me now, and a little worried the baby was small when I know I can't be quite that early. But other things I read show .52 cm (5 mm) as just right for almost 7 weeks, so I think the Dr. may be wrong. She made another appointment for 10 days away which also worried me (as everything does) but she just said since it would be at 8 weeks, and a good time to see how development is going or something. The nurse said she is out of town right after that so maybe that is also why it is so soon...

Anyway, I was so relieved the baby was there and transfixed by the blurry blink-blink on the screen that I forgot to ask about why no one ever called me back, or how she feels about water birth, or any of the other things I had planned. I just let them usher me out with my picture in hand and a dopey smile on my face.

On a less happy note, I was also told I have "a really high deductible" and need to apply for medicaid, which I don't qualify for. So I can't wait until the bills start coming in!

#22 of 23 Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM

They can be off in their EDD, especially since not all women have a typical, 28 day cycle. My bean is measuring 8w3d, and that would put my EDD at 3/7/12. Her estimate is 3/11/12, even though I know for sure when I ovulated because I was charting BBT and used an OPK. Based off of the ovulation time, it should be 3/09/12. Dates can be off for a number of reasons. The egg may have implanted on the later side, the ovulation surge was on the long side, etc. I know it is a little disconcerting, but it is good to see that little heart beating! Unless you need to schedule a necessary c-section down the road, a few days won't make too much difference. Good luck, mama!

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#23 of 23 Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithA View Post

DDCC here - just had to say that yes I have been in this situation! Almost exactly! I couldn't get the nurse to give me test results and the doctor never called me back. So, I switched to a midwife and have never looked back. I have the midwife does my annuals and she is so much more nurturing and attentive. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this doctor. Would it be possible for you to switch? 

this.  Switch and you'll thank yourself.  find *anybody* else.  but midwives will screen you for anything important, and listen at the same time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page