Any one starting to think of baby names? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our girl name is Paloma. We're not Hispanic (I'm Jewish, he's Italian) but we adore the name. We totally feel it's a girl too, so we're anticipating using that name. There were some others I liked as well (Aubrey, Autumn) but DH loves Paloma, so Paloma it is.

As for boys: IDK.

I thought about Sidney after my grandpa.

I'm not gonna sweat it -- because we're having a girl. :)

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#32 of 56 Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracesmom0801 View Post

Sebastian 

Magdalena

Not set, just some cute ideas.

Read a great book (Delirium by Lauren Oliver) where the main character is named Magdalena. She called herself "Lena."

#33 of 56 Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 PM

After saying I'm so bored with names this time around, I think I suddenly decided on a girl's name: Faye.  DH loves it too and it fits very well with our older girls' names.  It been on my list for ... oh.... 13 yrs or so.  :)  But it suddenly sounded right.  We'll see if I stick with it through the next 6 1/2 months of pregnancy hormones. Boys.... still not much catching my eye, but I think I'm having a girl anyhow, not that I've ever been right, but DH is always right and he thinks girl too.  :)

Janel, crochetsmilie.gif DIY/crafting addicted wife to DH treehugger.gif for 8 yrs, loving mama to DD1 notes.gif - 6 yrs, DD2energy.gif- 3 yrs, and baby 3 stork-suprise.gif due Feb/Mar 2012, planning our first waterbirth.jpg  homebirth.jpg

#34 of 56 Old 08-01-2011, 07:21 PM

I have friends with daughters named "Faye" and "Emersyn"....not from the same family. And I think this is fun. And I think its funny how people are copywriting names...its not like we live in the same neighborhood or town or anything, is it? Just checking....

Ok just to play along, I'm replying about my favorites that you all posted...not because my opinion matters for you...just because this game is fun for me. :)

I love: Ellis, Athena, Cecilia, Amelia and Amelie. I like Athena, because it sounds so "Goddessy" you know....

#35 of 56 Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproof View Post

i love mallory.

and ellis is very cute ;-)  i like emery too.  i love love love Emerson.  im sure there are no Emerson's in existence.  Can I TM that one too? lol.  hardy har.  i feel like a 2 year old klepto hording toys when it comes to dishing my favorite names.

I know three Emerson- One is my niece and another a cousin. More popular than you might think.

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#36 of 56 Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Wow, Brisen thanks for all of the great ideas!! I'm loving all of the ones that start with vowels. Our last name starts with an S, so I think we'll avoid anything SSSy. Amelia may be a front runner. Ellis Amelia....I can just see her little blonde curls now. :-D I feel so lucky that the Hubs has loved every name I've suggested so far. Phew!

Emerson is also super cute! The other name we originally planning on was Harper. But now that the Beckham clan has a little baby Harper I'm guessing it is going to skyrocket in popularity. So for now it is kinda out of the race, even though we all LOVE it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

Penelope

Calliope

Minerva

Athena

Camera 

Beverley

Kimberley

Diana

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#37 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I hate to burst your bubble, but Emerson (F) was #315 and Emerson (M) was #432 in the US in 2010.  I have a kid whose name has been in the 400's for the last few years, though, and we've never met anyone with the same name, so that's not super popular.  

http://nameberry.com/babyname/Emerson

Quote:

i love mallory.

and ellis is very cute ;-)  i like emery too.  i love love love Emerson.  im sure there are no Emerson's in existence.  Can I TM that one too? lol.  hardy har.  i feel like a 2 year old klepto hording toys when it comes to dishing my favorite names.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#38 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM

One of my friends had a baby this summer and named her Emerson Mallory. smile.gif

We have a few names for a boy or a girl but I don't have one that is THE one. With our daughter, we decided on her name really quickly and it totally fit. I think part of that was because I was certain I was having a girl and this time I'm not so sure.

Quote:

i love mallory.

#39 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 AM

I love thinking about and choosing names!  Unfortunately, Baby Daddy and I have very different tastes in names.  We both want something unique and not to crazily spelled but not horribly strange or out there.  I'm finding this is much harder to accomplish with boys than girls!  We pretty much have our girl name set but we're nowhere near settling on a boy name!

My DD is Allura Nova-Rose, so I think that's going to be hard to compete with or match for a boy!  Any suggestions?  We can't have anything that ends in -ON or -EN because it sounds too rhymeish with Baby Daddy's last name. 

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#40 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM

I said I wouldn't, but then I realized that if this baby is born in March, DH and I will have our Year of the Dragon baby.  We are both year of the dragon and DH always said we needed one of our kids to be a dragon too and I thought NO because I wasn't planning on having kids this late in life. 

Anyway - the "Hawaiian" word for dragon is Kelekona, so if we have a boy (which we probably won't since I think we will lol), I want to use that as a middle name.  :)

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#41 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM

ya'll - i was being extremely sarcastic re: 'im sure there are none in existence' - and 'copyright'ing.  SERIOUSLY???

wow.  sorry.

32 - son born 9/21/09
#42 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 PM

i was being dramatic.  i get protective of my names as though i am the only one who has ever thought them up.  which is ridiculous, lol.   sorry you misread the tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaRawks View Post

I have friends with daughters named "Faye" and "Emersyn"....not from the same family. And I think this is fun. And I think its funny how people are copywriting names...its not like we live in the same neighborhood or town or anything, is it? Just checking....

Ok just to play along, I'm replying about my favorites that you all posted...not because my opinion matters for you...just because this game is fun for me. :)

I love: Ellis, Athena, Cecilia, Amelia and Amelie. I like Athena, because it sounds so "Goddessy" you know....

32 - son born 9/21/09
#43 of 56 Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 PM

With our first, we had her name (and a boy name) picked out way before she was even conceived.  We also had an alternate girl name picked out, so I figured with this one, we'd just use those names, but I'm not too sure about them now.  For a boy, I really really like the name Blaise, but DH isn't into it.  He likes the name Sven, which I'm not crazy about (it's too hard to say!).  For a girl name, I really like Hailey, even though I think it's pretty popular, but DH likes Holly.  I think we're going to just wait until we have an ultrasound and find out the gender before we do any serious dicussing on this topic though :). 

#44 of 56 Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM

I totally get that whole "protection thing" with thinking of names yourself. I'd feel that way too if I thought my names were that original. I used to think some of them were and then I'd think of some celebrity with that name or find it on a baby name chart and I realize I wasn't the first after all. 

I like that name- Blaise, too! Pretty cool. 

You know, I seem to recall watching some Netflix documentary about baby names and how that affects children. There was something about lots of kids being named "Unique" spelled out all sorts of different ways. I figure, your kid is gonna be unique whether or not that is their name. Or they might just be normal....which you'll probably...at some point...thank God for.

#45 of 56 Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Tricia if you figure out the name of the movie I would LOVE to know so I can watch it.

I love playing the name game, and at the start I really got into it, but finding NOTHING new I lost interest. I brought name books on our road trip thinking we would have time to do it and Hubs was right there (he dislikes the name game) but I wasn't into it. I had been calling baby Arlo, but it just wasn't sounding right. Then Hubs said he was really stuck on Whitaker (which is what Juniper would have been if she was a boy) and it turned out I still really love it. So now I am calling the baby Whit or Whitaker. (we passed so many streets named Whitaker on our roadtrip and a town called Whitakers.)

so now we have a girl name and a boy name and for the time being I don't feel like figuring out middle names, maybe later, maybe when we find out if it's a boy or girl.

oh and we have a Josephine, it is a GREAT name, quite popular now which we didn't expect but we know about 10 other little girl Josephine's, plus the ones we just ran into or have seen their names on birth announcements and such.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#46 of 56 Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 AM

I've always loved the name Pieta.  On the other name thread I had also listed Tsalika (sal-i-ka) and Araceli (celi for short)  Unfortunately, my husband doesn't care for them and it'd be a bit awkward since I have friends with those names.

So far the only names we've agreed on for this baby are:

Gage and Ezra for a boy

Addalyn and Esra for a girl

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#47 of 56 Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Oh and for my dd Alyvia I had also picked the name Siri before she was born.  She looked more like an Alyvia though. redface.gif

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#48 of 56 Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM

May I throw a vote in for Addalyn? That's beautiful. I love A names for girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyadri View Post

Addalyn and Esra for a girl

#49 of 56 Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Our first is named Emma Rosemary. That took forever to agree upon. Not because we weren't agreeing. We were just too afraid to pick a name that wouldn't age well. Last time I had a feeling that it was a girl, and this time...I just don't know. I thought I would by now, but it feels 50/50. I like Benjamin and Liam for a boy. Piper is a favorite for a girl, or Sage. I want to somehow stay with the earthy/herby/flowery middle name if possible. That or incorporate a family name for the middle name. My dad and grandfather's names are William August, so I might use part of that. Or we could go really old school and pull out a family name from the middle ages. winky.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#50 of 56 Old 08-09-2011, 05:34 AM

Isn't Liam a derivative (or whatever) of William?  William August is a great name, no wonder it was used twice!  Is it pronounced ah-GOOST? or like the month?

We have used a few family names, but they're not that old; our oldest has the same name as dh's grandfather, which is also one of dh's middle names, and as we found out recently, one of dh's uncles has the same name, but he goes by his middle name.  The names of our youngest two came from my dad's mother's side of the family -- her two grandfather's names.  But dh's family has done family history back to the 1600s, and those two names keep popping up over and over again.  

Edited to add a little bit of clarity.  I'm not sure where my brain is.

#51 of 56 Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM

At the playground, there was a group of 3 or 4 sisters, or at least I think they were sisters.  A few of them were, anyway.  At any rate, it sounded like three sisters named Autumn, Ivy, and Lily.  Cute sibling names (if they were siblings!).

#52 of 56 Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My cousins are Piper and Patrick, girl and boy.  I love their names.  I would use Piper myself but I just don't think it will fit, they also have an Irish last name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I like Piper and Benjamin...but I just can't get a feel on it this time. We didn't decide until around 7 months with DD...but with that pregnancy, I KNEW from early on that it was a girl. This time it has been hard to judge, and I can't even put a finger on more names that I like.

#53 of 56 Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

Isn't Liam a derivative (or whatever) of William?  William August is a great name, no wonder it was used twice!  Is it pronounced ah-GOOST? or like the month?

We have used a few family names, but they're not that old; our oldest has the same name as dh's grandfather, which is also one of dh's middle names, and as we found out recently, one of dh's uncles has the same name, but he goes by his middle name.  The names of our youngest two came from my dad's mother's side of the family -- her two grandfather's names.  But dh's family has done family history back to the 1600s, and those two names keep popping up over and over again.  

Edited to add a little bit of clarity.  I'm not sure where my brain is.

With my dad, it is pronounced August, like the month. My grandfather's parents were German immigrants, so it probably sounded like ah-GOOST. I kind of like my great-grandfather and 2x great-grandfather's name - Andreas. Great grandpa changed it to Andrew and Americanized the last name when he moved here, much to the dismay of the rest of the family.

Oh - and Liam is short for William. I was sort of named after my father. Jillian is a feminine form of William.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#54 of 56 Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 AM

let me contribute some greek names on this thread smile.gif

If it's a girl, Andromache (ancient greek name), after my mother. We will call her Mache for short.

If it's a boy, George (Yiorgos in greek), after my father. We have that kind of tradition in Greece, but it's not obligatory. I happen to like both my parents' names and I want my second child to constantly remind me of them.. My first child is named Marina (greek and italian name I think), after my husband's father name (Marinos).

34 yr old mommy to Marina (4 Dec 07), excited for #2 in late March!
#55 of 56 Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM

So, anyone have any children whose birth or conception was correlated with another older family member's passing? I just ask because my husband's grandfather passed away about the same time we conceived this babe. We were just talking about it last night and thought maybe it would be appropriate to find a way to name the child after him. His name is Floyd.

On a semi-related note, we have a favorite card game we sometimes played called "Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot". In that game, one of the magical carrot's names is Flo...and she is a favorite. So I was thinking, hey we could name the baby "Flo....like short for Florence or Flor"....Idk, what do ya'll think about that? Lol...

#56 of 56 Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaRawks View Post

So, anyone have any children whose birth or conception was correlated with another older family member's passing? I just ask because my husband's grandfather passed away about the same time we conceived this babe. We were just talking about it last night and thought maybe it would be appropriate to find a way to name the child after him. His name is Floyd.

On a semi-related note, we have a favorite card game we sometimes played called "Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot". In that game, one of the magical carrot's names is Flo...and she is a favorite. So I was thinking, hey we could name the baby "Flo....like short for Florence or Flor"....Idk, what do ya'll think about that? Lol...

My oldest shares a birthday (and it was his due date) with an aunt and uncle, my second had a due date on the same day that my aunt had passed 2 years earlier although he was born the day after and this one is due on the birthday of my DH's only aunt who passed away 4 years ago.  We are thinking about incorporating her name into this baby's name probably in the middle name.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page