Prenatal tests, are there any you're refusing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You're a rare couple!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Thanks for the education. I had never heard of this issue before, but I guess we're okay. I'm A- and my husband is O-.

That's what my husband and I are, as well. Very cool.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 PM
JMJ

Just a little note on why there are so many false positives when screening for rare diseases.  Let's pretend we're talking about a disease that affects 1 in 1000 people and a test that is 99% accurate, so 99% of people will get the right diagnosis.  If were testing 100,000 people, 100 will have the disease, and the test will catch it in 99 of those cases.  Not bad.  However, there will also be 999 false positives, so we're getting over 10 times as many false positives as true positives in our hypothetical situation.  The more rare a disease is, the more accurate a test needs to be in order to differentiate between false positives and true positives.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 AM

Unless there is a suspected problem, I don't do any kind of invasive tests at all except allowing blood draws and finger prick and only if necessary, not as part of a regular regimen. No internal exams and no ultrasound whatsoever, including doppler. I also absolutely refuse to do the test for GD where you drink the nasty orange soda stuff.

I plan on doing the same as my last birth which was using a stethoscope/fetoscope to check baby's heart tones and placenta, taking blood pressure and doing urinalysis strips for blood, sugar, ketones, etc. which is once or twice a month. You can buy good test strips online at Amazon 100ct for about $30 including shipping.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 PM

The Rhogam issue is easy for me! DH & I are both A-.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Hi, I'm new here.  Well actually I am really old, here. I used to post on these boards ten years ago.  Actually I was on these boards during the sept 11 attacks, when my daughter was <2 months old.  Now I'm pregnant for the 2nd time.  (I like to really space them out) My due date is 3/29/12. 

So anyway, tests.  Oh boy.  Last time I was very natural.  I had one or two ultrasounds and that was it.  My care was through a group of midwives in Boston.  They took blood all the time and listened to the heartbeat, but other than that it wasn't very anxious.  I have o- blood but my husband has literally no idea what blood type he is, so that's going to need to be determined, I reckon.

Since I'm now 34, and will be 34 only 2 months past my due date,  I get to select more tests if I want.  Let's be honest, they are being shoved down my throat, by my PCP.  I don't live in Boston anymore, so I have to find a new midwife group, which I've been dragging my feet on.

This time I am more curious about the science of this all.  I asked for 2 HCG blood tests at 4 and 5 weeks, so I could rate myself.  I am going in for an ultrasound at 7 weeks called a "dating" ultrasound --no idea what thats about but I want to see a heartbeat so I'm doing it even though I know how far along I am because I used fertility friend's charting website.  They offered a downs screen at 11 weeks and I was like "for what?"  What good would it do to know before hand?  They couldn't really answer that so it seemed unnecessary.

I was just guiltily researching 3d elective ultrasounds.  I remember my midwife, whom I respect and admire, telling me it's not been proven to be good for a fetus to have ultrasounds, which is why they do minimal ones.  But I kind of want one.  I guess I'm a lot different at age 34 than I was at age 23. :/. 

So, yeah.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM

I usually decline the quad screen

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

Tags
First Response Ovulation Test 7 Test Kit , First Response Early Result Pregnancy Test 3 Tests , New Choice Pregnancy Test
User Tag List