Any WAPF/TF mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any other WAPF/TF mamas out there? Last pregnancy I did some TF but this time I'm all about it! We do lots of raw milk, fermented veggies, fermented grains (we're actually mostly grain free), organ meats, bone broth, FCLO, etc.

Looking to chat w/ other mamas who eat TF (or strive to be, lol!) :)

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#2 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 AM

I do what I can as a vegetarian.  But really the only thing I can stomach right now is kefir.  I can't even THINK about FCLO ;) 

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#3 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 AM

What is FCLO? 

I think I qualify at least partially. We grow all our own veggies in the summer and I'm trying to put up as much as I can (haha, no pun intended) for this winter. DH drinks kefir in a shake every day but I don't, and haven't for about eight months, but may start again. I take extra raw milk from my friend when I can, but I have no source for it myself. 

I was gearing up to make sauerkraut this year but my cabbages first got ravaged by caterpillars before I noticed (lost half), then the next half got eaten by my dog. (This was in a new, side-yard garden bed that I forgot to check often enough, and that wasn't well-protected against my fence-hopping pup.) I need a crock too...does anyone have a good idea on how to find a crock for fermenting for cheap?

We eat a lot less organ meat than I would like. I got a big freezer for my birthday (14.8cu ft), and the plan is to get sides of beef and lots of whole chickens from local farms. With the sides will come all the organs, so the plan is to consume them!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#4 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Fermented cod liver oil

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#5 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks.

I jsut had an argument about liver with my DH. He thinks I shouldn't have any. I explained why the prevailing unwisdom is wrong. It took a while, but he's on board. 

I have a feeling this will be a very useful set of links: http://www.westonaprice.org/search?q=liver+pregnant&q=pregnancy

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#6 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

That's good that he's on board re the liver RosieL. I think pasture raised liver is sooooo nutritious!!! I feel really good after eating it. I make it as a pate and the girls and I gobble it up (w/ several raisins on the side for them though :))

I can't wait to start my garden up again in the fall (too hot in FL right now). We have backyard chickens (our beloved pets really!) so we have access to yummy eggs.

#7 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm trying to get DH on board with chickens. I have a neighbor who says he'll take care of them any time we're away in exchange for a few dozen eggs. The main problem is that our dogs can't be trusted (they FREAK OUT chasing rabbits), so we'd have to double-fence the chicken area. I want to do it, DH isn't ready for that step. I'll insist once we have a walking, though. I want him/her to grow up with a taste of the farm even in suburbia.

#8 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
JMJ

I'm here, but I'm having lots of aversions to a lot of the nutrient-dense foods that I used to eat.  I've put my kombucha on hold.  I'm doing a lot of kefir.  Every time I convince myself to eat my pate, I feel better (need the iron).  I can't stand seaweed or oysters right now, but I'm hoping that will change.

#9 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi

I am WAPF household with added coconut flour cooking and some Raw and just starting the idea of grain free. I have been racking my brain on what is TF?

So glad to be on a support board again. These days of waiting for a sticky is hard!

I am on my 10th pregnancy and am very grateful for my 3 home birthed healthy kiddos!

Anyone here due March 30th?

#10 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Glad you started this. I actually just had some raw goat milk kefir. Surprisingly, it is helping my nausea/pukey feelings go away! Who would of that? Mine is so sour and dh says it's tastes like vomit- lol. I drink lots of raw milk, I'm an addict you could say. I just called my order for more eggs, meat and milk to the farm.  The FCLO is in the fridge and will be taking some tonight but not looking forward to it! My edd is 3/26.

#11 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I feel really good being mostly grain free. I did soak quinoa the other day and the smell of it fermenting (the last part of 24 hrs before cooking it) smelled like a cake or something...it smelled soooooo good! LOL It tasted really good too after cooking it...better than I remembered it did...I guess my body needed it :) We don't bake much but when we do, I use coconut flour....yum!

I've found that the raw goat milk kefir is sooooo much more sour than cow. I prefer goat milk but like the cow kefir better.

Oh and I'm due March 24th.

#12 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, TF is traditional foods

#13 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 PM

We are a "home-cooked real foods" family which overlaps a lot with WAPF/TF and I do take FCLO.  Not a lot of organ meat but plenty of eggs and shellfish, dark greens, full-fat dairy, real butter, red meat, etc.  Basically a nutritionally dense version of real foods that can be found within a typical supermarket, without much in grains other than rice.  Simple, whole things. 

#14 of 29 Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 PM

We follow a paleo diet which has a lot of overlap with WAPF I think.  I was doing the FCLO, but between the nausea and heartburn I can't think of it at the moment.  Trying to do lots of fermented foods to help my gut, but my heartburn is getting worse.  This is my first pregnancy and I didn't expect this so early.  Anyone in this thread have any real foods heartburn tips?

I started eating rice cakes for something bland to eat for the nausea, but now I'm wondering if they made the heartburn worse.

I also try to do organ meats when I can get them, bone broth, and our 4 chickens just started laying, so that's an exciting source of eggs nourished in our garden.

#15 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

I'm here, but I'm having lots of aversions to a lot of the nutrient-dense foods that I used to eat.  I've put my kombucha on hold.  I'm doing a lot of kefir.  Every time I convince myself to eat my pate, I feel better (need the iron).  I can't stand seaweed or oysters right now, but I'm hoping that will change.

Do you have a pate recipe you'd like to share? I love pates and I cook all the time, but for some reason have never ventured into making them. I'd love a tried-and-true recipe. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent View Post

We are a "home-cooked real foods" family which overlaps a lot with WAPF/TF and I do take FCLO.  Not a lot of organ meat but plenty of eggs and shellfish, dark greens, full-fat dairy, real butter, red meat, etc.  Basically a nutritionally dense version of real foods that can be found within a typical supermarket, without much in grains other than rice.  Simple, whole things. 

This sounds like us. Although no knowledge of FCLO here, but otherwise you've described our kitchen. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannamo View Post

We follow a paleo diet which has a lot of overlap with WAPF I think.  I was doing the FCLO, but between the nausea and heartburn I can't think of it at the moment.  Trying to do lots of fermented foods to help my gut, but my heartburn is getting worse.  This is my first pregnancy and I didn't expect this so early.  Anyone in this thread have any real foods heartburn tips?

I started eating rice cakes for something bland to eat for the nausea, but now I'm wondering if they made the heartburn worse.

I also try to do organ meats when I can get them, bone broth, and our 4 chickens just started laying, so that's an exciting source of eggs nourished in our garden.

I'm big on bone broths (mostly chicken). I started making them from a cook's perspective years ago (they taste so much better as soup bases and for making rice than store-bought), then learned about the nutritional value. Bonus!

#16 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 AM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

Do you have a pate recipe you'd like to share? I love pates and I cook all the time, but for some reason have never ventured into making them. I'd love a tried-and-true recipe. 

I started out with this one, and it was absolutely delicious.

However, I wanted to make one with beef liver, so I kinda adapted some recipes to make one that I like, but I don't measure very much.

2 onions (yellow or red)

a couple large scoops of ghee

(saute until onions are soft)

1 lb beef liver (cut into strips and soaked overnight in fresh whey)

(brown the outsides)

about 1/2 cup wine (great use for leftover wine after it is starting to go)

fresh or dried herbs of choice (I think my favorite is rosemary)

(simmer in open pan over low heat stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is cooked off.  Put it in a high quality blender (I use a Vitamix.  I'm not sure it would be as wonderful if your blender can't get it smooth.) and blend until smooth.  Stir in another couple scoops of ghee, and refrigerate.)

#17 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Awesome, thanks! I have some beef liver on its way from the farm, I'm going to give this a try. 

#18 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

This is almost exactly how I make mine too but my secret ingredients are garlic and onion powder too...yummmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

I started out with this one, and it was absolutely delicious.

However, I wanted to make one with beef liver, so I kinda adapted some recipes to make one that I like, but I don't measure very much.

2 onions (yellow or red)

a couple large scoops of ghee

(saute until onions are soft)

1 lb beef liver (cut into strips and soaked overnight in fresh whey)

(brown the outsides)

about 1/2 cup wine (great use for leftover wine after it is starting to go)

fresh or dried herbs of choice (I think my favorite is rosemary)

(simmer in open pan over low heat stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is cooked off.  Put it in a high quality blender (I use a Vitamix.  I'm not sure it would be as wonderful if your blender can't get it smooth.) and blend until smooth.  Stir in another couple scoops of ghee, and refrigerate.)

#19 of 29 Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

What is everyone eating for snacks? Looking for some inspiration ideas :)

#20 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Ohhh snacks....

Crispy nut trail mix with naturally sweetened dried cranberries.
Coconut crispers
Fruit
Homemade raw yogurt

#21 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
JMJ

Madeit, my snacks are mostly the same as yours, when I can manage to eat more than what I make for my meals.  I've had a difficult time eating even as much as I used to, so I've been making a normal breakfast, and picking at it until lunch, pick at lunch throughout the afternoon, and pick at dinner until bedtime.

#22 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm trying to get eggs down right now. Our girls started laying recently, and we're currently knee deep in eggs. We get pastured beef and pork from my cousin, and we're waiting for them to get to weight.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#23 of 29 Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

What are coconut crispers? They sound yummy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeitX2 View Post

Ohhh snacks....

Crispy nut trail mix with naturally sweetened dried cranberries.
Coconut crispers
Fruit
Homemade raw yogurt

#24 of 29 Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Well eat when you feel hungry no forcing needed, right?

Yum! Coconut crispers are good. Easy and addictive!

4 cups of shredded (unsweetened) flakes - I like fine
1 cup of your favorite crispy nuts or a mix - chopped (favorite cashews)
3/4 - 1 cup of grade B maple syrup (just enough to wet the ingred)

Mix all together in a large bowl and place on a large cookie sheet with sides and lined with parchment paper (I have used coconut oil too but these stick major). I spread all this on a 15x17 pan. Pat it all down. I have also split it between two smaller pans. It depends on how thick you like them. Then put in oven at a low 225 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hrs. Then you can cut in 1/2 and flip to dry out the under side in 20 min or so. This come out crunchy and lightly golden. Yum!!! Break into chucks and enjoy anytime day or ngt in yogurt or with chocolate spread on top.

Also coconut is great for cleaning house drink plenty of water or your house could get backed up if you eat to many.......Know what I mean?
#25 of 29 Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 AM

I eat a mostly local, whole foods diet.  No dairy except butter, but lots of eggs, liver, bone broth, greens, soaked everything, clo...

I usually have eggs (our own free range) and a green smoothie for breakfast, leftovers or pate for lunch, and then it's something different for dinner each night.

For snacks I have been eating a lot of avocados and  I always have a seed mix on hand - sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower soaked and then dehydrated with tamari.  I recently tried to make so nut butter but I didn't like the texture so I turned them into snack balls -  soaked and dehydrated almonds, cashews, and walnuts ground and mixed with coconut oil, shredded coconut, and a little maple sugar.  They're pretty tasty.  I eat fruit as it's in season - we'll have blueberries, peaches, and raspberries soon.  I've been eating bread a butter too.  I am really craving the butter!

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#26 of 29 Old 08-01-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks madeitX2! Coconut sounds sooooo good right now! I've been slighly nauseous in the evenings and I made coconut bread to eat when nothing else sounds good. Love it because it satisfies my craving for fat and protein. I used to eat almonds for snacking but I'm super sensitive to oxalates so they are out for me.

Did anyone see that Green Pastures emulsified flavored FCLO is on sale? I haven't tried these flavors so I guess I will get one of each. I hope the kids will like them...well, DD2 is the picky one.

I've been loving avocados too. Love the idea of the seed mix SageR!

#27 of 29 Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
JMJ

Madeitx2, I'm going to have to try that!  Yum!!!

#28 of 29 Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Hi ladies

When I posted the recipe the next day I made a batch as well. They go along way.

Avocados hmmmm. I have some in fridge to make into a choc pie.

I just bought my first bottle of the orange flavored FCLO to mix in OJ but have not opened the bottle yet. Silly me!

#29 of 29 Old 08-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Count me in! I'm 100% paleo, but I am a huge fan of WAP and use a lot of TF in my diet, just not the grains. I'm all about the FCLO, fermented foods, bone broths and organ meats... so glad to have found this forum and some like-minded March mommas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page