Allergic to my rings! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever have allergies to their rings in pregnancy? I never have before, but I had to take my platinum wedding bands off over a week ago, right around 6 weeks! My finger was super itchy & slightly swollen, took the rings off to figure it out and it was all red & scaly! They haven't been itchy since I took them off, but my skin is still recovering. My silver ring isn't bothering me at all. Such a bummer, I figured I'd be into my 3rd trimester before I had to put my rings away!

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds 2
#2 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 AM

This actually  has happened to me with my platinum ring as well.  But not when pregnant.  I cannot even wear one of them now.  Even after a huge cleaning in vinegar, baking soda and boiling water for about thirty minutes, the rash came back.  It is only a problem with one of my rings, which was custom made.  My engagement ring and it's matching band (which are from a large jeweler and also platinum) do not give me any problems, but my custom one does.  I am wondering if there is an alloy or some kind of composite in the metal that has either rubbed away or is newly causing problems.  I actually googled this and found that it is really common.  Called "wedding ring rash" or something like that.  For some people, cleaning it really helped.  It didn't for me, though.  Try cleaning your ring with the above mentioned solution and see if that helps.  

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#3 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 AM

Yes with my last pregnancy I became allergic to my wedding ring.  Unfortunately, the allergy stayed and i still can't wear it for too long.  It does seem to be getting better though

#4 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 06:35 AM

I became allergic to my ring after I gave birth to my daughter. It didn't go away again until I cut out grains from my diet 2 years later. More recently it's come back as I've been eating more grain; so that's it cut out for good now.

#5 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

With DS my cartilage earring was bugging me in the 3rd tri. It made a raw spot on the back of my head and I kept scratching it and opening the scab... gross. I kept it in, but finally got rid of it a few months after the baby came. Don't feel like I need an earring there anymore. My rings are white gold. No problems but I almost never wear them since I used to be a lifegaurd and wouldn't wear them to the pool, I'm very out of the habit.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#6 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 PM

With my first pregnancy one of the ways I knew I was pregnant was due to my belly button ring getting red and sore and bumpy. I went in to the place where I had it pierced and they informed me its not on common for a woman's body when she is pregnant to reject the metal and "push" the ring out and try to close up the whole. That actually got me thinking I might be pregnant and like 2 days later it was confirmed. This time around my belly ring just started to get sore so I took it out before I got the red irritated bumps. With earrings I am having to stay with my nicer gold earrings and I try to take them out as soon as I get home so not to keep them in to long to let my body get to irritated.

#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM

I am so glad that I found this thread again! I had seen it early on and didn't think much of it but I am preg with #4 and this is my first time having wedding band itch. I also had it twice this year when I was preg for a short time. It must be the hormone shift. Such a bummer and mine is yellow gold. I will clean it right away. My finger does do better when I put coconut oil on then my ring. This is all very interesting.
#8 of 8 Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 PM

I've never had that issue - I can't wear mine because my fingers randomly swell. I know that Cookie Lee sells a brush-on plastic coating to make jewelery tolerable to those with metal allergies. I don't know if I'd want it on my wedding ring, but I'm sure it could be buffed off by a jeweler later on.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page