Want to try some gender predicting wive's tales for fun? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else want to try out the old wive's gender prediction tests for fun? I tried the baking soda test, and results say girl. You put 1 tsp baking soda in a cup, and put a little bit of pee on it. Supposedly if it sizzles, it is a boy. If it does nothing, it is a girl. It probably costs less than a cent to try, so why not for some entertainment. Anyone else want to try? It would be interesting to see if any of the tales ended up being true, or better than 50/50.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#2 of 22 Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Sure, I'm game!   Though I just peed so I'll post in a little bit ;)

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#3 of 22 Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM

I'll do it tonight when I get home :D

fwiw, I did the Intelligender test just for fun w/ DD, and it said boy! But my sister and I both dreamed she was a girl before our u/s, so I trust our dreams more. Haven't had any dreams about this one yet...

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#4 of 22 Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

My friend did the intelligender, and it said it was a girl. She got a little boy, though. I've read that the supposed DNA tests are just as inaccurate. For a penny or so, I'm willing to try this for fun, though. smile.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 22 Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Mine fizzed so I guess that means boy? :)

Katie - Mama to E1 (7, c/s), E2 (5, c/s), E3 (3, VBA2C), E4 (1, UC)
...expecting another princess in March/April

Questions about VBAC? PM me!

ICAN Chapter Leader

cd.gif ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gif uc.jpg hbac.gif h20homebirth.gif

#6 of 22 Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

It does, at least according to the wise baking soda fairies. smile.gif

#7 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 AM

No fizzing here, so girl???  According to the Chinese lunar calendar predictor, it also says girl.  That happened to be right with DD so we'll see!  DH and I still have boy feelings but happy and healthy is all we truly care about :)

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#8 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM

The chinese calendar has always been opposite for us everytime.  Weird but it says girl this time so that means boy and I fizzed and my gut currently says boy so I guess we will see if all this is right!?

Katie - Mama to E1 (7, c/s), E2 (5, c/s), E3 (3, VBA2C), E4 (1, UC)
...expecting another princess in March/April

Questions about VBAC? PM me!

ICAN Chapter Leader

cd.gif ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gif uc.jpg hbac.gif h20homebirth.gif

#9 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

The chinese calendar says boy, but if I remember right, it was wrong with DD.

#10 of 22 Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

BTW - have any of you ever tried the Drano method? I don't know if it is accurate or not, but it seems a little dangerous.

#11 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 AM

I just did this: no fizz. The Chinese method also predicts girl, but I'm strongly thinking boy right now. shrug.gif

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#12 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM

I gave this a go & got no fizz so I guess girl. The Chinese calendar was right once & wrong once for us.

mama to ds 6, dd 4, & ds 2
#13 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

My cousin just randomly posted on my Facebook wall this morning that she thinks it is a girl. Hmm...

#14 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 AM

anyone done the pencil test? you can do it even before you have kids so far everyone I know has been right with it but I don't remember what it said for me. chinese calendar said girl for this and it was right with my son but wrong with my girl

#15 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM

I have had a feeling that this one (#3) is a girl based on how I have been feeling so far.  chinese gender predictor says girl and there was no fizz!  I guessed correctly with my other 2 and I am pretty sure that this one is a girl. I love this guessing game!

#16 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm on vacation right now so I'm probably not going to do the baking soda one. We feel pretty strongly that ours will be a girl. I did the Chinese thing a while back and it said girl too. Well, we'll just see what comes out in March!

#17 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmheart View Post

anyone done the pencil test? you can do it even before you have kids so far everyone I know has been right with it but I don't remember what it said for me. chinese calendar said girl for this and it was right with my son but wrong with my girl

What is the pencil test?

#18 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM

What I've tried:

Chinese gender prediction chart:  GIRL   (correct with DS)

Baking soda test: BOY   (did not try with DS)

Ring test version 1 (like the pencil test):  At my baby shower w/DS it said BOY-GIRL-BOY, when I tried it just before ovulation this cycle, it said BOY-BOY-GIRL-BOY

Ring test version 2:  GIRL

My initial intuition (right after seeing the second line): BOY

My current feelings: GIRL

DS's prediction: GIRL

Ring test version 1/pencil test:  This test will tell you the genders of ALL past/current/future children...I've heard that some people will see their miscarriages and some will not.

Get a thread/string/thin chain about 12in long and attach a heavy item to one end (like a pencil or a ring...use a needle to poke the thread through the pencil's eraser.  Hang the object over the wrist of your dominant hand.  The object will start swinging, up/down for boy, left/right for girl and circles between children. 

So, when my aunt did the pencil version on me at my baby shower, it went:  up/down, circle, left/right, circle, up/down = BOY-GIRL-BOY  When I did it myself, about a month ago, with my wedding ring it went: up/down, circle, up/down, circle, left/right, circle, up/down = BOY-BOY-GIRL-BOY

Ring test version 2:  This test will tell you the gender of a baby you are currently pregnant with.

String a ring just like in the 1st ring test and hold it above your pregnant belly, while laying down.  If the ring swings in circles it means BOY, side to side/up and down means GIRL

I'm wondering if a miscarriage was picked up when I did the first ring test, but not when my aunt did it on me?  Or maybe my childbearing 'destiny' has changed since the first test?  Well, I just did it again and it said BOY-GIRL-BOY-BOY??  Interesting...

Laura (26)intactlact.gif DH (39)jammin.gifdrum.gif, DS (Jan 2008)
belly.gif#2 due in Dec 2012   brokenheart.gif 2/12 brokenheart.gif 8/11

#19 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM

I haven't done any tests but I have a friend who has predicted EVERY friends' birth correctly. He predicts girl, and I also have strong girl vibes so we'll see!

The odd thing is that friend and one other accurate-predictor friend both said....are you suuuuuure there is only one in there? They are both getting twin vibes, and I have a family history of twins, but there was definitely only one babe on the u/s. Bummer!

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#20 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

This is OT, but speaking of intuition... I have always felt like I had a twin that vanished too early for it to be caught with technology at the time. It wouldn't surprise me - my mom was struggling with infertility and tried for seven years to get pregnant after my older sister. The women in my family have always been very open to intuition and gut feelings, so who knows. They weren't even doing regular anatomy scans back then, so we'll never know.

#21 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Just saw this on CNN.com, good timing:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/09/blood-test-to-tell-babys-gender-found-reliable/?hpt=he_c2

Baking a cupcake at 98.6°. This little lady is due early March 2012.

***4***8***12***16****20***24***28***32*ecbaby.gif*36***40**

#22 of 22 Old 08-10-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Too bad they don't offer that in the US! I don't think that the concern about abortion would be much of an issue here. If I'm already going in for a full load of lab tests at 8 weeks, I'd totally add on that test if I could.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page