How to tell future employer of pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies!

I need some suggestions.  I currently put in for a position at an elementary school to work one on one with some developmentally delayed children.  I was offered the position and accepted it last week.  I did not tell them I was pregnant during the initial interview or after signing employment paperwork.  I did not want the pregnancy to determine if I was a good fit for the position (which is protected by law)

I'm trying to figure out the best time and way to let them know that our family is expecting and I'm due in March.  I don't want to disappoint anyone and make them feel cheated.  I had been thinking about getting a job long before we found out we were pregnant but unfortunately the position came available at a bad time.

Thoughts??

treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifdp_femalesling.GIFwool.giflotbirth.gifcaffix.gifribbonjigsaw.gifcd.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 AM

I might wait a little bit. After things get started then I would meet with your boss and just tell them you are pregnant and want to be proactive about planning for your leave.

Congrats on the job!!!!

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM

I would wait as long as you can to tell them.  They aren't going to like it, and having 15 or 20 weeks to worry about it instead of 25 or 30 is really totally adequate.

I actually felt guilty about not telling a new employer I was pregnant and so I told them once I had gotten the job (but, I hadn't signed any papers) and they couldn't get me out of there fast enough after I'd told them.  They were actually mad.  I should have waited, I didn't, and I had no proof they did it to me, so there was nothing to do.

Tjej

Kyamo likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Is this a full time, tenure track position?

Are you planning on returning in the fall?

Be careful in what you disclose. You only have to tell them that you're pregnant and that you'll be returning in the fall, whether you decide to or not. If you're not tenured, you may not be protected by the union if they choose not to hire you back.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#5 of 5 Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM

I would wait a bit also.  You have some good suggestions above as well as some things to think about.

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page