No viability scan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I had my first prenatal appointment with my midwife today and I was expecting her to write me a script for the 8week sonogram, to see the heartbeat. And she didn't. She said her practice doesn't suggest doing them. I had one with my DS before I switched over to the midwife practice.

So I was a little disappointed. I did get a script for the NT scan, but I didn't do that last time. And this time, we'll be away on vacation during that 11-12 week window. This sort of puts a crink in my plans to tell our families since I was waiting on seeing the precious heartbeat before announcing it. While I wouldn't mind telling mine (they're only 4 people), I don't want to tell my husband's family because it would be telling 25 people. I don't think I could realistically ask my MIL to keep the news from her siblings and their families. (They are very close.) And God forbid, we did tell them and I miscarried, then I would get pity looks or head tilting and constant questioning of "are you ok?" "How are you doing?" if I was to get pregnant again.

At my next appointment, I will be 12 weeks and should be able to hear the heartbeat.

Anyone else not getting that heartbeat-revealing 1st trimester sonogram?

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
JMJ

I'm not getting one by choice.  If you really wanted one, you could ask your midwife, and I'm sure she would respect your wishes even though she doesn't recommend it.

#3 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't push the issue because she made some valid points regarding scans before 12 weeks. I was just disappointed. It's not a big deal. I just wanted to see that heartbeat. I guess I'll have to settle for hearing it in another 4 weeks.

#4 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM

I have never had an early U/S either.  With both I think I heard the heartbeat between 10-12 weeks - usually at my second appointment. I think they can hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks - maybe they would let you come in for a quick listen before you head on your vacation for peace of mind.

#5 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM

I'm not getting one, either. It's hard to wait for that hard confirmation (as though a several positive pregnancy tests and puking every day weren't confirmation enough!), but it's not like much is really going to change at this point if I hear a heartbeat or not. Then again, we've chosen to tell everyone, anyway, so at least I'm not waiting on that.

Hopefully you can hear the hb with the doppler a little sooner than the u/s and get some peace of mind!

treehugger.gif geek.gif Mama to Lauren Philippa Elethea (3) energy.gifand expecting a little Jay bird March 2012! 3rdtri.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28*babygirl.gif*32***36***40**

#6 of 15 Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 PM

I'm not getting one either but I went in today to my midwife to see if she could fine the heartbeat on the doppler... and we found it!!! Yay! I'm 10 weeks 4 days.

Maegen, adventurous wife to DH, loving mom to my beautiful DD's and expecting another babe in March 2012!

#7 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

I live 90 minutes from their office so I don't think I'll be able to pop in the office unless I happened to be down there for some other reason, also unlikely. I think I am just going to stay positive and assume that everything is moving along as it should be. 4 weeks will fly by before I know it. I hope.

#8 of 15 Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 AM
JMJ

Bobbys, I think that's the right attitude.  I understand some moms, especially moms with a history of losses, needing more reassurance, but I think it's helpful in general to stay as positive and hopeful as possible.  Most babies are just fine.

#9 of 15 Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 AM

I don't know if this helps at all, but I actually just got one and it wasn't that great of an experience.

I started my 1st pregnancy with a large OB office and they did a quick abdominal sonogram at my 1st appointment (around 11 weeks)- It was easy and I got to see the heartbeat.

This time I'm with a MW practice but they send patients out to a radiology place for them.  They consider them optional, and wrote me a script that I could use or throw away- my DH really wanted to see the heartbeat so I agreed.  Went in and had the scan- it was done by a VERY impersonal tech who didn't talk to me about what she was seeing and then insisted on doing a transvaginal one- I HATE pelvic exams and if I'd known they were going to try that, I would have told DH no.  I did get to see the heartbeat which was reassuring (I'm 9 and a half weeks), but in hindsight I would have rather waited until my MW appointment next month.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#10 of 15 Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsky View Post

This time I'm with a MW practice but they send patients out to a radiology place for them.  They consider them optional, and wrote me a script that I could use or throw away- my DH really wanted to see the heartbeat so I agreed.  Went in and had the scan- it was done by a VERY impersonal tech who didn't talk to me about what she was seeing and then insisted on doing a transvaginal one- I HATE pelvic exams and if I'd known they were going to try that, I would have told DH no.  I did get to see the heartbeat which was reassuring (I'm 9 and a half weeks), but in hindsight I would have rather waited until my MW appointment next month.  

Sorry you had a bad experience.  If it helps, those US techs in imaging labs are not allowed to say much about the results because they are not doctors and so are not supposed to do any interpretation of results.  In my experience they will usually do their work in silence, then when they are done show you the screen and point out a few general things.   They send their images and measurements to your midwife or doctor who will tell you whether things look good or not.   She should have been more sensitive about the transvaginal though.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#11 of 15 Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Sorry you had a bad experience.  If it helps, those US techs in imaging labs are not allowed to say much about the results because they are not doctors and so are not supposed to do any interpretation of results.  In my experience they will usually do their work in silence, then when they are done show you the screen and point out a few general things.   They send their images and measurements to your midwife or doctor who will tell you whether things look good or not.   She should have been more sensitive about the transvaginal though.  

Thanks Kyamo!  That helps me put in in perspective.  I guess I've just had chattier techs in the past, so this one's silence made me nervous.  I'm grateful for the heartbeat, but planning to keep things simple and skip most of the optional stuff from here on out.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#12 of 15 Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM

I didn't get a scan because I just don't want more than 1 unless there's something that needs to be watched. I was able to hear a heartbeat last week, and that was reassuring.

Happily married to my soul mate, and a mommy of two girls + another baby due in June!

5****10****15****20****25****30****35**stillheart.gif*40

#13 of 15 Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Aside from seeing the heartbeat, my first trimester scan with DS was annoying. The tech, who was 23 years old, treated my husband and I like teenagers. She thought we were 19, when in fact, I was 30. So she was sort of dismissive. Then when I asked what the heart rate was, she told me she couldn't tell me. That didn't make any sense. I found out the heart rate when I asked to have my file so I could transfer to a MW practice. I just found the whole thing ridiculous. To me, if only a doctor can deliver news about my baby, then I want a doctor doing the scan and not a tech. We pay all this money for health insurance and yet I feel like I should be grateful for getting straight answers. My 20 week scan, in another hospital, was much better. The tech was informative and the baby was healthy so I was happy.

#14 of 15 Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM

With DS I had an early ultra sounds for dating purposes as I was not sure when I got pregnant due to some birth control issues. I did not plan to have one this time around and my MW practice normally does not do an early ultra sound. Today I went in for my second of the start up appointments (I had an appt last week were my midwife heard the heartbeat) so after my physical she went to listen to heartbeat and she could not find it this time even with there older dopper that she says is normally more sensitive.

She told me she wanted me to get a dating ultrasound just to make sure everything is ok so I didnt have to stress for a month till next appointment.  She told me no worries and to just go in some time in the next week but then by the time I was done and checking out the nurse practitioner came out with my write up for the US and said she called and they could get me in today (by end of my appointment is a little after 3pm) so I got a little nervous MW wanted me to go today and long story short, US showed heartbeat and baby even waved arm at me and was kicking its legs. Also heartbeat was 170 bpm and is dating 1 day sooner then I thought and 3 days bigger then what MW put EDD at.

#15 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM

I'm not having an early u/s. I actually don't plan on having any. I want to limit doppler exposure too, so I won't be able to hear the h/b for a while. There's never really a "safe" time to announce anyway, IMO. I know many women who have lost their babies after seeing a h/b. I know people who have had losses at 11 weeks, 19 weeks, 35 weeks, 38 weeks, at birth and 2 weeks after the birth.

That's good your midwife doesn't routinely suggest them. Sounds like they do things on a case-by-case basis,. not a one-size-fits-all care.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page