Doctor made me a bit depressed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to see my doctor on Friday and she asked "so how are you feeling?" I told her that I was incredibly exhausted all the time and that I couldn't even go for a short walk without almost passing out. I was never like this with my last pregnancy which was really easy.

She nodded and said "well, you're in your thirties, so..." which was so totally not lost on me.

Really? is it really that much harder in your thirties? I just had DD three years ago and I felt great. It kind of has me depressed, like now this is what I have to look forward to the entire rest of the pregnancy because I'm "not a young mom anymore." When I had DD at 27, everyone said I was "just a kid." I didn't think three years would make that much difference.

How are you mamas feeling so far? I'm hoping this is just an early pregnancy thing and I feel all better once things get moving along.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#2 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM

I had my first at 33/34 and this one will be at 38/39.   I might be feeling a little bit more tired than with the first but not much.   I'd say it is completely unrelated.  30 is young. smile.gif

#3 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM

I hate how the brush it off as normal to be exhausted for a mom or a pregnant woman in their 30's. It is so demeaning when you are honestly struggling, and it can cause them to miss problems that might be popping up. I don't see how three years would make much of a difference if you're relatively active and eat well, ya know?

Have they checked your iron levels yet? If you're feeling like this is abnormal for this stage of the pregnancy, I would consider getting that and B12 levels checked. I was deficient after having DD, and it really helped to supplement.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#4 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've had everything checked and went in that day for some special blood tests, so we'll see. I really hope I feel better soon. I was pretty tired with DD in early pregnancy, but not this tired. I'm hoping it goes away.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#5 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 AM

I too feel super exhausted; way more so this time around than when I had my son only 20 months ago. I'm 32 and DS was born when I was almost 31. It's not a big time difference and I felt great during his pregnancy.

We're older, but pregnancy is exhausting; I don't care how young you are.

Mom to two boys and expecting a babygirl.gif in May, 2014!
#6 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 AM

I felt that way with #1 and I was 25. wink1.gif I'm mid-30's now and hurt more often but instead of mega-exhaustion I have m/s. Your provider is just brushing off your concerns. Hugs.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#7 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
JMJ

I had my first at 22, and the only way I made it through was because my boss redid the schedule for most of my first trimester to give me some extra time off so that I could sleep 12 hours a day, and then I had a good amount of energy and felt alright, though a little bit queasy.  By the second trimester, I was doing fine as long as I was getting enough iron.

This time, I'm 25, and I've got a toddler running around and still waking to nurse at night.  I'm exhausted.  Sometimes, it's not bad and I have the strength to do a lot at once.  Sometimes, standing long enough to empty the dishwasher is enough to make me feel faint.  I think that a lot of it is about having another child.  I can't just take a break like I did when I was pregnant with her.  Getting enough iron is really helpful, as is getting a good night's sleep and taking a nap every day.  I assume things may continue to be a little more difficult since I have another child, but they should get a lot easier after the first trimester.

Sure, we're 3 years older, but 25 or even 30 is really not that old.  Don't let you doc write it off as just your age if you really need help, like if you have an iron deficiency or are deficient in another nutrient.  Especially if you have been on hormonal birth control, do look into B12 deficiency as well since HBC is known to deplete your B12.

#8 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 11:18 PM

I'm 26 and was in the best shape of my life before pregnancy... I'd sail through a 90 minute, cardio-crazy krav maga class. Now, at 11 weeks, I give myself a gold star if I manage a 20-minute stroll in the park with my dog. So I wouldn't put it all down to age ;)

I do agree that your doctor should take your concerns more seriously, though... yes, fatigue is normal, but if it's really concerning you, you deserve a doctor who will listen.

#9 of 10 Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm sorry they made such an unhelpful comment about your age.  Do you think any of your fatigue this time around is from caring for your daughter?  I'm also 30 this time (was 28 when pregnant with my DD) and caring for my toddler definitely wears me out.  

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#10 of 10 Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree View Post

I felt that way with #1 and I was 25. wink1.gif I'm mid-30's now and hurt more often but instead of mega-exhaustion I have m/s. Your provider is just brushing off your concerns. Hugs.

I was 28 with my first, and had the same experience.  I even took a 2 hour nap after work everyday in the first trimester and still slept 9 hours at night.  This time at 32, I'm also bogged down with m/s, but not nearly as tired...  pretty impressive considering I'm also trying to work full-time and keep up with a 2 year old.  

Sounds like you ran into a fairly insensitive moment on his part...  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page